Chances for people w/ lower numbers! Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
thwalls

Bronze

Re: Chances for people w/ lower numbers!

Post by thwalls » Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:37 am

akak179 wrote:3.0 163 here....looking at the philly area schools, temple/nova would be my first choices as of now...some lucky acceptances might make me change that tune however....

Great Idea for this thread by the way, I think there are alot of people with good numbers like ours who just dont quite make it into that 3.7+ 168 + group
This should be a no brainer. If you are from the Philly area (like myself) and you can't break into the 170+ with a 3.0 gpa your #1 is Temple. Period. No matter who accepts you, you should go to Temple and I'll give you three good reasons why.

#1 Temple is strong in Pennsylvania and really strong in Philadelphia.
#2 In-State Tuition
#3 In-State Tuition
and by popular demand #4 In-State Tuition

I got a scholarship to go to Temple but excluding a scholarship the in-state tuition per year is $17,566. You can't beat that deal when other schools are charging well over $30,000 or $40,000 per year.

With your numbers stay in Philadelphia and try your hardest to get into Temple.

thwalls

Bronze

Post by thwalls » Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:44 am

kalvano wrote:Directness means I'm bitter?

What shall I tell him, that he's a special snowflake and can do anything his widdle heart wants?

He's not going to BC with those numbers. Life sucks, get a helmet.
Coming from a special snowflake, there were people with better numbers who got WLed at Temple and I got in with a scholarship. Life is unfair and sometimes people with poorer scores are luckier than you.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:46 am

darby girl wrote:does anyone know Univ. of South Carolina's rank?? I can';t find it for some reason
Doesn't matter the rank. If you want to practice in SC, go to South Carolina. If you don't, don't go.

Fred_McGriff

Bronze

Post by Fred_McGriff » Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:03 am

looking at state schools in the south, want to practice in SC, FL, VA, NC, GA, or TN...

Am I SOL on Georgia and Tennessee? Are Miami and South Carolina reasonable?
Last edited by Fred_McGriff on Tue Nov 16, 2010 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nola

New

Post by Nola » Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:06 am

Is the URM status that much of a boost? I used the predictor and because I am Hispanic my chances went up significantly at law shools I thought were pretty much out of reach.

GPA: 4.0
LSAT: 160

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

thwalls

Bronze

Post by thwalls » Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:12 am

Nola wrote:Is the URM status that much of a boost? I used the predictor and because I am Hispanic my chances went up significantly at law shools I thought were pretty much out of reach.

It is a massive boost and one that you should take full advantage of. In fact it should really offset your LSAT score and help you get money at schools that would have only provided an acceptance.

deadpanic

Silver

Post by deadpanic » Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:13 am

Fred_McGriff wrote:3.0 GPA, 162 LSAT, 2 years of work experience and great softs, looking at state schools in the south, want to practice in SC, FL, VA, NC, GA, or TN...

SOL on UGA.

UT is a tossup, but I think you have a decent shot. Make sure you write their "Why UT" essay and show that you want to practice in state.

You should be golden for USC, and you should get tuition equalization (in-state) if you are OOS. Maybe a few thousand off if you are in-state already.

Probably good for Miami (though it is private - not a state school), but you are probably looking at sticker, which is a horrible idea.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:15 am

Fred_McGriff wrote:3.0 GPA, 162 LSAT, 2 years of work experience and great softs, looking at state schools in the south, want to practice in SC, FL, VA, NC, GA, or TN...

Can't help you with your school search, but can you help me with some batting advice?

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:23 am

thwalls wrote:

What shall I tell him, that he's a special snowflake and can do anything his widdle heart wants?

Coming from a special snowflake, there were people with better numbers who got WLed at Temple and I got in with a scholarship. Life is unfair and sometimes people with poorer scores are luckier than you.

Temple is not BC. Check the LSN graph.

KTHNXBAI.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:29 am

UF is a decent reach, but the market is packed to bursting. In at SC, UNC is probably out, UGA is definitely out. I wouldn't go to Miami unless I were getting something close to full tuition, which even if you made it in, you won't get. UT is a decent option, but a significant of Vanderbilt grads do stay in TN. 36 stayed last year; UT only graduates 160.

If I were you, I'd go to SC, but there aren't a ton of jobs there, just in general. There is still success to be had, esp. if you can go for cheap. Alternatively, I'd retake.

Nola

New

Post by Nola » Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:40 am

Nola wrote:Is the URM status that much of a boost? I used the predictor and because I am Hispanic my chances went up significantly at law shools I thought were pretty much out of reach.

Apparently I am now in the running for Northwestern and have a chance at U of Chicago if I agree to early acceptance. I am going to take advantage of this, but I find it a little disturbing.

maxm2764

Silver

Post by maxm2764 » Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:50 am

Hey rad law would you mind chancing my earlier post? I'm just trying to get a realistic sense of my options and you seem to know your shit. I appreciate it if you lend your advice but if you can't no worries.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:56 am

maxm2764 wrote:Hey rad law would you mind chancing my earlier post? I'm just trying to get a realistic sense of my options and you seem to know your shit. I appreciate it if you lend your advice but if you can't no worries.
FTFY

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Fred_McGriff

Bronze

Post by Fred_McGriff » Tue Jun 29, 2010 12:09 pm

I really appreciate all the advice everyone.

romothesavior wrote: Can't help you with your school search, but can you help me with some batting advice?
I'd recommend Tom Emanski's skills drills videos. I actually endorse them. Its the only proven system that works

Barbie

Gold

Post by Barbie » Tue Jun 29, 2010 12:41 pm

:)
Last edited by Barbie on Sun Sep 19, 2010 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wolfpack11

New

Post by wolfpack11 » Tue Jun 29, 2010 12:47 pm

Hey I am in the same situation. I need some advice to. Here is where I am at : I am a 3.9 with a 160 LSAT. I am physically handicapped, and have had a major surgery every year in college including a Bone Transplant. I was hoping to go to Texas, SMU, Vanderbilt, USC, Tulane, Alabama, Emory, Georgia, or Arizona because walking in cold weather is physically grueling. Does being handicapped qualify me as an URM ?

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Tue Jun 29, 2010 12:51 pm

wolfpack11 wrote: Does being handicapped qualify me as an URM ?
No.
wolfpack11 wrote:Texas - No.
SMU - Maybe. Pretty good chance.
Vanderbilt - No.
USC - No clue.
Tulane - Admit.
Alabama - No idea.
Emory - No.
Georgia - No idea.
Arizona - No idea.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Barbie

Gold

Post by Barbie » Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:19 pm

wolfpack11 wrote:Hey I am in the same situation. I need some advice to. Here is where I am at : I am a 3.9 with a 160 LSAT. I am physically handicapped, and have had a major surgery every year in college including a Bone Transplant. I was hoping to go to Texas, SMU, Vanderbilt, USC, Tulane, Alabama, Emory, Georgia, or Arizona because walking in cold weather is physically grueling. Does being handicapped qualify me as an URM ?
It seems to me UGA and UNC look heavily at GPA, this will be to your advantage. Although your handicap doesn't qualify you as a URM, you can use it to your advantage in a personal statement, and so forth. I similarly have a condition (cancer-brain tumors) that I use as an addendum to my GPA (I had it removed while a student, spent 3+ months in hospital while in 15 cred. hours, treatments, etc) and I mention it in my general personal statement. It can't be used as an excuse to boost your numbers really, but you can definitly have it make you stand out if you use it in your PS as inspiring, character building, and so forth.

By the way, I'm stuck in the cancer center for 4 more hours, if anyone is online and wants to talk about various schools! I'm boreddd

maxm2764

Silver

Post by maxm2764 » Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:27 pm

Hey romo I really appreciate your useful advice. I guess when you're working on 3000 posts in around a year and are in an admissions forum after already being admitted it really means you run shit. It's TLS superstars like you who make me hate these forums sometimes. Douche.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:30 pm

maxm2764 wrote:Hey romo I really appreciate your useful advice. I guess when you're working on 3000 posts in around a year and are in an admissions forum after already being admitted it really means you run shit. It's TLS superstars like you who make me hate these forums sometimes. Douche.

Preserved for posterity.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:33 pm

darby girl wrote:
wolfpack11 wrote:Hey I am in the same situation. I need some advice to. Here is where I am at : I am a 3.9 with a 160 LSAT. I am physically handicapped, and have had a major surgery every year in college including a Bone Transplant. I was hoping to go to Texas, SMU, Vanderbilt, USC, Tulane, Alabama, Emory, Georgia, or Arizona because walking in cold weather is physically grueling. Does being handicapped qualify me as an URM ?
It seems to me UGA and UNC look heavily at GPA, this will be to your advantage. Although your handicap doesn't qualify you as a URM, you can use it to your advantage in a personal statement, and so forth. I similarly have a condition (cancer-brain tumors) that I use as an addendum to my GPA (I had it removed while a student, spent 3+ months in hospital while in 15 cred. hours, treatments, etc) and I mention it in my general personal statement. It can't be used as an excuse to boost your numbers really, but you can definitly have it make you stand out if you use it in your PS as inspiring, character building, and so forth.

By the way, I'm stuck in the cancer center for 4 more hours, if anyone is online and wants to talk about various schools! I'm boreddd
UGA has a pretty firm LSAT wall at 164, with some exceptions (mainly those with 3.9+) GPAs. They are not that GPA centered. 164+ and 3.0+ was almost autoadmit this cycle.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Fred_McGriff

Bronze

Post by Fred_McGriff » Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:58 pm

darby girl wrote: My numbers are really similar (3.3/163) and I spoke with FSU/UF councelors and was told I had a 80-90% chance of admission, and if I could get the 164+, then chance at scholly. I'm expecting $ offer from UM, but this might be a reach (wouldn't go otherwise) I'm looking in the same areas as you. UGA is a no-go but I'm applying anyways because it's my #1 school and I have one really strange soft that might give me an edge (Might as well apply to one super-reach school, esp if you can snag a fee waiver!). UT I think is a good school and I was planning on an acceptance there, adn think you would be too. Have you considered Kentucky? I don't know anything about SC, but I wish I did. I like the location, but I don't know much about the weather/ area/ and school. If anyone has any knowledge I would love to know.
I think I'll apply to UGA anyway, I figure my softs are very strong and very strange, why not take a shot? I think I'm going to apply to Miami, Tennessee, Florida, and Kentucky also. I know Lexington is a cool city and the people I went to undergrad with from Lexington loved it and loved UK, I don't know much about the law school itself, but practicing in anywhere but Eastern Kentucky would be awesome, the state has a lot to offer.

thwalls

Bronze

Post by thwalls » Tue Jun 29, 2010 2:14 pm

kalvano wrote:
thwalls wrote:

Temple is not BC. Check the LSN graph.

KTHNXBAI.
So what you are saying is that he will not get into BC with those numbers because no one on the LSN graph gets in with those numbers. So your assumption is that the only people who apply, and are accepted, to BC post their numbers on LSN? That sounds like a faulty assumption.

Edit: For 2009 - 6321 applied, 1224 admitted. This year LSN has 623 applicants reporting their numbers. By your assumption, that is the sum of the entire applicant pool.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Tue Jun 29, 2010 2:26 pm

thwalls wrote:[So what you are saying is that he will not get into BC with those numbers because no one on the LSN graph gets in with those numbers. So your assumption is that the only people who apply, and are accepted, to BC post their numbers on LSN? That sounds like a faulty assumption.
There's a big difference between Temple at 72 and a T30 school that fell in the rankings.

There is no evidence to support any hope that anyone with those numbers save a URM will get in to BC. I'm saying he won't get in with those numbers because, well, he won't fucking get in. Boston College likes GPA.

Go look at their ABA sheet on LSAC. 621 applied with numbers like his. 20 got in. I'd lay money that of those 20, at least 18 were URM, if not all of them.

Especially after they fell in the rankings. They are going to be looking to boost their numbers.

thwalls

Bronze

Post by thwalls » Tue Jun 29, 2010 2:32 pm

kalvano wrote:
thwalls wrote:[So what you are saying is that he will not get into BC with those numbers because no one on the LSN graph gets in with those numbers. So your assumption is that the only people who apply, and are accepted, to BC post their numbers on LSN? That sounds like a faulty assumption.
There's a big difference between Temple at 72 and a T30 school that fell in the rankings.

There is no evidence to support any hope that anyone with those numbers save a URM will get in to BC. I'm saying he won't get in with those numbers because, well, he won't fucking get in. Boston College likes GPA.

Go look at their ABA sheet on LSAC. 621 applied with numbers like his. 20 got in. I'd lay money that of those 20, at least 18 were URM, if not all of them.

Especially after they fell in the rankings. They are going to be looking to boost their numbers.
You are saying there is evidence that he could get in with his numbers.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”