value of being d1 athlete Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
onemansthought

New

Re: value of being d1 athlete

Post by onemansthought » Mon Jun 28, 2010 6:59 am

Being a D1 athlete is a solid soft.
As mentioned above, if you held a leadership roll in your program it becomes a solid soft.

I am a splitter in the wrong direction, good grades median LSAT.
Not URM.
Captain of a D1 Football Team, Athletic and Academic Recognition.
Nationally recognized President of a Frat.

Accepted to several T1/T2 schools.

I believe that "Leadership" is the "soft" that was valued in my application.
I did not have Athletics as the subject of my PS.
Like many whom have played Football I had injuries that cost playing time and the rehab is a story line, but not what I wanted to focus on. I wanted to show a "whole" person, show some diversity in my life's story.

I think that the general feeling is that D1 Athletes especially Football, and Basketball players are looked at as only in school for the sport in many people's mind.

I wish my LSAT was higher, while I am happy were I will be attending, serious scholarship money is lacking unless I go down in rankings for the Law Schools that I was accepted to.

GPA/LSAT is the key, study the LSAT it is all about the numbers.

alicrimson

Silver

Post by alicrimson » Mon Jun 28, 2010 8:39 am

Gamecubesupreme wrote:Like others have said, being a D1 athlete helps in the sense that it adds diversity.

In terms of actually being valued by the adcomms for outstanding achievement, I don't see why anyone who satisfy the criteria (like an NCAA champion calibre athlete) would want to go into law school. Why go through 3 years of torture for a less than bright prospective employment opportunity when you can turn pro at the sport and rake in thousands with endorsement?
Most division one sports don't offer pro careers like the one you're mentioning....also, I can guarantee not every football player on the national championship team is pro quality. Further, consider olympic type sports: gymnasts, rowing, wrestling, women's basketball, pretty much any women's sport, track, and men's soccer to name a few. There just is no career market so your employment opportunity point falls flat in probably most cases

pinkzeppelin

Bronze

Post by pinkzeppelin » Mon Jun 28, 2010 8:49 am

If you are going to highlight your d1 athlete experience, you might want to balance it out. Athletes, fairly or not, are perceived as students that treat intellectual endeavors secondarily to their personal lives. This is something you should combat in your application. My approach would be to tell your recommenders to ignore your athletic involvement and instead focus on your academic achievements and abilities. But as long as you make it clear to the admins that you aren't another meat-headed athlete then you should be fine.

As a side note, I have spoken to my pre-law advisor, who was previously on an admissions board, about personal statements. One of the things he mentioned was that ones that focused on athletics tended to be really boring and common. "My coach pushed me real hard, and I knew I could do it! And then we won the championship all on my shoulders!" However, he also mentioned that some of his favorite personal statements focused on the same issue. So just be aware that the topic is sort of polarizing in that you risk sounding boring.

Good luck.

bigred77

New

Post by bigred77 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 8:59 am

It all depends on the context. What sport it is matters, what d1 level you compteted at matters, and did you pick a challenging major or a percieved easier one.

I was a 4x football letterman in the big XII who was a double major in economics and operations management. I'm convinced it helped my application tremendously and i feel without it my app would have been rejected without a second look due to my less than stellar GPA. I will tell you at the very least it is a major soft that you can sell.

colemf

Bronze

Post by colemf » Mon Jun 28, 2010 11:43 am

Softs don't mean shit. And I can assure you that among the few softs that do provide a slight bumb (Military service, Teach for America, etc.) being a D1 athlete is not among them.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

albusdumbledore

Silver

Post by albusdumbledore » Mon Jun 28, 2010 11:50 am

bigred77 wrote:It all depends on the context. What sport it is matters, what d1 level you compteted at matters, and did you pick a challenging major or a percieved easier one.

I was a 4x football letterman in the big XII who was a double major in economics and operations management. I'm convinced it helped my application tremendously and i feel without it my app would have been rejected without a second look due to my less than stellar GPA. I will tell you at the very least it is a major soft that you can sell.
This. I was a D1 track/cross country runner in a mid-major conference in undergrad, and I don't think it did anything out of the ordinary to my cycle. However, things probably change if you're in a glamor sport and not an Olympic sport.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Mon Jun 28, 2010 11:59 am

rando wrote:
kalvano wrote:Yay! Another one of these threads.

ITT - People who were athletes will argue endlessly over how valuable it is, the time it takes, and how it makes you a special snowflake.

Everyone else will realize that being able to do something well athletically means jack shit in law school and has no real effect other than a fair-to-nice soft on your application.
And in this post - an athletically challenged individual who is bitter that someone is an athlete and intelligent.

FWIW - even if adcomms don't give you as much a boost as it is worth, employers love it.

This made me laugh. I'm not "athletically challenged", I just don't give a shit about it.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Mon Jun 28, 2010 12:00 pm

Also, I'd like to point out that I was right. The athletes are now crying over how important it really is, and still, in the real world, no one gives a shit.

rando

Silver

Post by rando » Mon Jun 28, 2010 12:49 pm

kalvano wrote:Also, I'd like to point out that I was right. The athletes are now crying over how important it really is, and still, in the real world, no one gives a shit.
No. Adcomms dont care. In the "real world" partners care, hiring committees care, clients care. . .

Being a competitive athlete shows that you can juggle multiple rigorous demands while performing at a high level. More importantly, it is a strong indicator that you are a normal human being in a social setting.

You are just plain wrong.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

swimbrad

Bronze

Post by swimbrad » Mon Jun 28, 2010 12:58 pm

coming from a 4-yr D1 athlete who just finished my cycle... it'll help, but won't overcome your numbers - could help give you a good personal statement - that's where I found my athletic experiences most helpful

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Mon Jun 28, 2010 1:02 pm

rando wrote:
kalvano wrote:Also, I'd like to point out that I was right. The athletes are now crying over how important it really is, and still, in the real world, no one gives a shit.
No. Adcomms dont care. In the "real world" partners care, hiring committees care, clients care. . .

Being a competitive athlete shows that you can juggle multiple rigorous demands while performing at a high level. More importantly, it is a strong indicator that you are a normal human being in a social setting.

From someone who has spent some time in the real world...no, it doesn't matter one bit. What matter is your performance.

rando

Silver

Post by rando » Mon Jun 28, 2010 1:12 pm

From someone else who has spent time in the real world, you are living in "athletically challenged" dreamland.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Mon Jun 28, 2010 1:16 pm

Again, I'd like to point out that I was right. All the crybaby athletes who feel like it should matter for something always come out for these threads.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

swimbrad

Bronze

Post by swimbrad » Mon Jun 28, 2010 1:24 pm

kalvano wrote:Again, I'd like to point out that I was right. All the crybaby athletes who feel like it should matter for something always come out for these threads.
i believe the truth comes out in my post above

rando

Silver

Post by rando » Mon Jun 28, 2010 1:28 pm

kalvano wrote:Again, I'd like to point out that I was right. All the crybaby athletes who feel like it should matter for something always come out for these threads.
I just want to point out the fact that 0l's generally have no idea what they are talking about. Especially when it comes to legal hiring.

And i dont need to whine about how being an athlete will help me because.
1 - i have had zero difficulty finding employment; and
2 - i am not an athlete seeking to defend my background. I have just seen it first hand. On several occasions. Just like I have with military service and law enforcement.

Good luck 1L year.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Mon Jun 28, 2010 1:31 pm

rando wrote:
I just want to point out the fact that 0l's generally have no idea what they are talking about. Especially when it comes to legal hiring.

2 - i am not an athlete seeking to defend my background. I have just seen it first hand. On several occasions. Just like I have with military service and law enforcement.

Good luck 1L year.

That would be a better argument if I hadn't been out of school for some time in the real world, wasn't friends with a number of lawyers (including people who do interviews and hiring) and if being an athlete were in any way comparable to military service or law enforcement.

You just compared being able to throw a ball around with serving your country and putting your life on the line every day. Those, unlike being an athlete, are important things.

rando

Silver

Post by rando » Mon Jun 28, 2010 1:46 pm

kalvano wrote:
rando wrote:

Good luck 1L year.

That would be a better argument if I hadn't been out of school for some time in the real world, wasn't friends with a number of lawyers (including people who do interviews and hiring) and if being an athlete were in any way comparable to military service or law enforcement.

You just compared being able to throw a ball around with serving your country and putting your life on the line every day. Those, unlike being an athlete, are important things.
You completely misunderstand the value of the above listed endeavors. It is based in leadership and life skills. Though putting your life on the line is sufficiently distinguishable, there is no distinction for the purposes of this thread.

Your counterargument leaves a lot to be desired. As such, I again wish you luck 1L year. I have to get back to work. Thank you, Kalvano, for your point of view. You will get farther if you are less condescending.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

MrKappus

Gold

Post by MrKappus » Mon Jun 28, 2010 2:01 pm

allidoiswin wrote:
MrKappus wrote:OP: I'm pretty sure you don't even need to take the LSAT. Just stuff a soiled game jersey in w/ your app and you should be good to go...at least at the T6.
what a good idea!! Thanks for posting!!!
It's the only way being a "d1 athlete" would have any effect on a law school app. So you're welcome.

-former d1 athlete

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 2:27 pm

rando wrote:

Flame. Emory grads don't get jobs and therefore can't impress clients.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 2:28 pm

Also Men's football, basketball or GTFO.

savagedm

Bronze

Post by savagedm » Mon Jun 28, 2010 2:46 pm

rando... you've been owned man, you are only playing into his argument at this point anyways.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”