170 LSAT, 3.89 GPA...retake LSAT for top 5 law school? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
tjones11

New

170 LSAT, 3.89 GPA...retake LSAT for top 5 law school?

Post by tjones11 » Sat Jun 26, 2010 10:16 am

I recently received my LSAT results on the June exam and scored a few points lower than I wanted to (170). I have a 3.89 GPA from NYU, graduated in three years with highest honors, Summa Cum Laude, received a bunch of honors at graduation, will have a masters degree before I start law school, have been published, wrote a senior honors thesis, and have worked at some top law firms throughout college (Wachtell Lipton). I'm really shooting for a top 5 school and I know LSAT score is huge. Should I retake the exam in October with the hopes of going up a few points, but have to push the submission of my application back a few months, or settle with the 170 and submit as early as possible in September? Thanks for the help everyone.

GordonCole

New

Re: 170 LSAT, 3.89 GPA...retake LSAT for top 5 law school?

Post by GordonCole » Sat Jun 26, 2010 11:53 am

Submit as early as possible and retake the LSAT in October. Just indicate you're going to be retaking the LSAT on your applications. That way you're going to have your apps in a little bit earlier along with the benefit of your potentially higher LSAT score.

This is what I essentially did this last year only I took the September LSAT (167), applied to November to Columbia, NYU, Chicago, etc and retook in December (178). Worked out well for me.

starrydreamz3

Silver

Post by starrydreamz3 » Sat Jun 26, 2010 11:58 am

Last edited by starrydreamz3 on Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

theadw

Bronze

Post by theadw » Sat Jun 26, 2010 12:07 pm

This isn't totally analogous to your situation, but: I submitted my applications in early November after registering for a February retake. Some schools waited to consider the new score & some didn't.

capitalacq

Silver

Post by capitalacq » Sat Jun 26, 2010 12:08 pm

tjones11 wrote:I recently received my LSAT results on the June exam and scored a few points lower than I wanted to (170). I have a 3.89 GPA from NYU, graduated in three years with highest honors, Summa Cum Laude, received a bunch of honors at graduation, will have a masters degree before I start law school, have been published, wrote a senior honors thesis, and have worked at some top law firms throughout college (Wachtell Lipton). I'm really shooting for a top 5 school and I know LSAT score is huge. Should I retake the exam in October with the hopes of going up a few points, but have to push the submission of my application back a few months, or settle with the 170 and submit as early as possible in September? Thanks for the help everyone.
dont worry about submitting in september. get the app in before thanksgiving and you're still way early.

what were you PT scores like?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”