A Pickle

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
ebl1014

A Pickle

Postby ebl1014 » Sat Jun 26, 2010 9:01 am

First, thanks to anyone who reads this whole thing and gives me insight. I really, really, appreciate it. Also, part of this is a repost of something that I posted earlier, but I didn't feel like re-writing the same stuff.

My target schools are NYU, Georgetown, Columbia... My LSDAS GPA is a 3.47, and I got a 164 on my June '10 LSAT (I am going to retake).

My target was a 170 (had PT'ed mostly around 165, with one 174 as my last PT). The breakdown was LR -1, LG -13, LR -3, RC -3. It's pretty obvious where the weak link is, and I feel like a 170 is still within reach. I only had prepped for a month before the LSAT this time.

Here's the redeeming GPA trajectory, but I want to know how much you guys think it will be worth, especially to such competitive schools: (these are LSDAS calculated GPAs by the way)

(Sociology Major and Political Science Minor at good state school... "good" as far as state schools go)

Freshman Year- 2.36 (a serious drug problem almost led to the loss of a parent & I was not able to handle it being 2,000 miles away at school and admittedly immature)
Sophomore Year- 3.75
Junior Year- 3.97
Senior Year- 3.8 (3.89 if I delay applying for a year and include my grades from my electives that I need to take in the fall)

I have a couple questions regarding this trajectory and retaking the LSAT:

1) Would it be worth it to delay my applications for another year and include the 4 electives that I need to take this fall in order to graduate and retake in June '11 instead of this October (after I teach a Kaplan LSAT course over the school year)? (I am pretty confident that I can ace the electives, which would bring my LSDAS GPA up from a 3.47 to a 3.53)

....I could also probably apply after my fall semester grades are posted, in mid-December, but I don't want to be one of the last people to get my sub-par application in. I feel like applying early is important (am I wrong?). Also, I don't think I'd be as well prepared for the October LSAT.

2) Is this grade trajectory going to make a lick of difference to T14 schools? (I will definitely submit an addendum, regardless of when I apply)

3) If I can achieve the 170 (WHEN I get the 170) will this GPA give me a chance at any of those schools, or is it time to reconsider where I apply?

Pretty much, my two options are to retake it in October, pray that I get the score, and apply as soon as I got my LSAT score. This would mean that the four electives won't get put into my LSDAS GPA before the application. The one redeeming quality is that I wouldn't be delaying law school by a year.
Second option is to take it in June of next year and apply in Fall '11. This would give me a year to work, intern, and teach a Kaplan course thus really improving my softs. It would also include the 4 elective classes and increase my GPA. Say what you want about Kaplan (the method doesn't always work for me, and I don't swear by the method when I test, but I can teach it), but I think/have heard that teaching a course and being immersed in it would do wonders for my LSAT score. The drawback to this one is that I delay applying to law school for a year. Worth it? (I think so, just need to convince my parents)

CanadianWolf

Re: A Pickle

Postby CanadianWolf » Sat Jun 26, 2010 9:16 am

Have you been hired to teach a Kaplan LSAT course? If so, teaching an LSAT course should be great preparation for a successful retake since you are likely to be forced to understand the material at a high level to teach others. Did your practice test qualify you to teach Kaplan or is the 164 adequate?

ebl1014

Postby ebl1014 » Sat Jun 26, 2010 9:27 am

I haven't been hired, but have been scheduled for an interview and was told that I would be very likely to get the job. I score qualified on both the practice tests (I PT'ed at 174 right before the real test) and on the actual LSAT.

snowpeach06

Postby snowpeach06 » Sat Jun 26, 2010 9:34 am

LSAT is more important than grades, and you seem to have a decent addendum, so I wouldn't wait the extra year for grades - especially for such a minimal increase. If I were you, I would just focus on the LSAT, take it in October, and be ready to send off your apps as soon as your score comes in. That means have set up your LSAC account, with letters of rec in, personal statement written, ect. On that timeline your apps will be in before Thanksgiving, which is still reasonably early. The only reason to delay a year would be not getting the LSAT score you need.

ebl1014

Postby ebl1014 » Sat Jun 26, 2010 10:31 am

It would bring me up, most likely, from 3.47 to a 3.53.... I would think that it wouldn't be worth it except that it brings me over the 3.5 mark which at least looks enticing. But, getting my applications in this year and going to law school next year sounds SO appealing. If October didn't go well, I could switch over to plan 2 and take it in June after I teach the course.

Soooo.... LG. I need a plan of attack for that for July, August, and September. Heeeeere we go! Better switch to the LSAT forum!

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Sat Jun 26, 2010 11:38 am

With that GPA, even a 177 or better on the LSAT won't get you in to Columbia, a 174-180 gives you a moderate chance at NYU, and 172 or better and you're probably in at GULC.

clintonius

Postby clintonius » Sat Jun 26, 2010 11:42 am

Also you really need to focus on your PT average, not a fluke 174. That said, LG is widely considered to be the most learnable section, and if you can, um, learn it, you do have a good shot at a number of the t14 assuming it brings you to 170+. Hard to say re: NYU, CLS and GULC without an actual score.

ebl1014

Postby ebl1014 » Sat Jun 26, 2010 11:56 am

Thanks for all of the input! Now I have another question: with a 3.5 GPA (and an addendum and great trajectory) should I bother trying to get higher than a 164, or perhaps lower my target schools and go with what I've got? Are a 3.5 and a 164 pretty compatible?

(This sounds like it may be a question that I need to ask myself, actually.....)

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Sat Jun 26, 2010 11:58 am

ebl1014 wrote:Thanks for all of the input! Now I have another question: with a 3.5 GPA (and an addendum and great trajectory) should I bother trying to get higher than a 164, or perhaps lower my target schools and go with what I've got? Are a 3.5 and a 164 pretty compatible?

(This sounds like it may be a question that I need to ask myself, actually.....)

What the fuck? No. The higher the score the better.

Are you drunk?

capitalacq

Postby capitalacq » Sat Jun 26, 2010 12:11 pm

be realistic and aim lower

danidancer

Postby danidancer » Sat Jun 26, 2010 12:15 pm

ebl1014

Postby ebl1014 » Sat Jun 26, 2010 12:49 pm

kalvano wrote:
ebl1014 wrote:Thanks for all of the input! Now I have another question: with a 3.5 GPA (and an addendum and great trajectory) should I bother trying to get higher than a 164, or perhaps lower my target schools and go with what I've got? Are a 3.5 and a 164 pretty compatible?

Are you drunk?

I think you may have misinterpreted my question. Of course a higher score is better, but what I was asking (and realized is something that I need to research) is how much a higher LSAT score would really benefit a 3.5. Or, rather, with a 3.5 and a 164, being realistic and lowering my target schools would be more prudent. "What the fuck? No." to a question of lowering my target schools and sticking with a 164 OR as an answer to whether or not 3.5 and 164 are compatible is a bit drastic. Don't be a dick and give some sort of answer that is neither constructive nor relevant. Thanks for your input.

ebl1014

Postby ebl1014 » Sat Jun 26, 2010 12:54 pm

capitalacq wrote:be realistic and aim lower

Agreed. Damn that freshman year! Retaking the LSAT is so not appealing but may be the only way to go, regardless of my aim

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Sat Jun 26, 2010 1:26 pm

ebl1014 wrote:
kalvano wrote:

Are you drunk?

I think you may have misinterpreted my question. Of course a higher score is better, but what I was asking (and realized is something that I need to research) is how much a higher LSAT score would really benefit a 3.5. Or, rather, with a 3.5 and a 164, being realistic and lowering my target schools would be more prudent. "What the fuck? No." to a question of lowering my target schools and sticking with a 164 OR as an answer to whether or not 3.5 and 164 are compatible is a bit drastic. Don't be a dick and give some sort of answer that is neither constructive nor relevant. Thanks for your input.

You asked if you should bother trying to get higher than a 164. There's no way to misinterpret that.

Don't ask stupid questions then complain when you get asked if you're stupid.

Just score higher if you want higher schools. A 3.5 takes you of the T6, but the right LSAT let's you in at lots of places.

yinz

Postby yinz » Sat Jun 26, 2010 1:28 pm

kalvano wrote: Just score higher if you want higher schools. A 3.5 takes you out of the T6, but the right LSAT let's you in at lots of places.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Sat Jun 26, 2010 1:29 pm

I posted this in your other thread, but-

Out at Columbia even if you get a 180. They pretty much drew a hard line on GPA. There was one acceptance with a low GPA, and that was a 179, I believe.

NYU remains a possibility with a 174-175 or better.

Georgetown, just score beter than 171 and you should be in.

ebl1014

Postby ebl1014 » Sat Jun 26, 2010 1:39 pm

Thank you! That was a dumb question, re-reading it. I'm a hair flustered this past... oh 24 hrs.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”