Part Time v. Full Time in Respect to $cholarships

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
angiej

Part Time v. Full Time in Respect to $cholarships

Postby angiej » Sat Jun 26, 2010 8:58 am

If I am above a school's 75% for both GPA and LSAT, I realize I am fairly likely to receive a scholarship. But will my chances decrease if I apply part-time? In other words, are more scholarships given to full-time students than to part-time students?

angiej

Re: Part Time v. Full Time in Respect to $cholarships

Postby angiej » Sat Jun 26, 2010 10:49 am

Bump - please?

angiej

Postby angiej » Tue Jun 29, 2010 12:51 pm

Bump. Again.

Iconoclast

Postby Iconoclast » Tue Jun 29, 2010 12:56 pm

It is going to depend on the school... but in general there are going to be more scholly opportunities available to full time students.

My school gives quite a bit of money to part time students (probably more than most) but none of the part timers get full rides. The full scholarships are all endowed schollys and all of them stipulate full time students only.

angiej

Postby angiej » Tue Jun 29, 2010 12:58 pm

Iconoclast wrote:It is going to depend on the school... but in general there are going to be more scholly opportunities available to full time students.

My school gives quite a bit of money to part time students (probably more than most) but none of the part timers get full rides. The full scholarships are all endowed schollys and all of them stipulate full time students only.

Okay, that's what I thought. My numbers for IU Indy part time are above 75% median - so I thought about checking the box for "either part time or full time" but I need the $$$ and I figure my #'s aren't good enough for any $ for their full time program.

nj05nets

Postby nj05nets » Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:52 pm

i am interested in this too...i want to attend my state university part time so i can continue to work part time while attending. i have a feeling that since the tuition for in state students is already relatively low and they anticipate a good portion of pt students will be working they wont be giving too much in scholarships. my lsat is 3 points above the 75th percentile and my gpa is closer to the 75% than their median. any part time applicants get scholly offers? if so how did your numbers stack up against the pt programs medians/75 percentile?

fakemoney

Postby fakemoney » Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:53 am

Just look at the ABA law school guide on lsac.org. The schools provide data on the percentage of full-time/part-time students that receive grants. I've found that, as a general rule, far fewer part-time students receive scholarship money. But just check out the actual data for the specific school.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”