"Apply early" -- how late is still "early"?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
cyxdev17

"Apply early" -- how late is still "early"?

Postby cyxdev17 » Fri Jun 25, 2010 10:46 pm

I know it's important to apply early, but I'm assuming sending in your apps on September 1st probably won't help you since no one's going to read them that day. (I assume).

So when is it still considered "early"? Could taking the October LSAT (I'm considering retaking) and not applying until November hurt my chances at all? I just want to consider all relevant factors since I'm on the border about whether to retake.

Tautology

Re: "Apply early" -- how late is still "early"?

Postby Tautology » Fri Jun 25, 2010 10:53 pm

Before Thanksgiving is probably the most important cutoff.

acrossthelake

Postby acrossthelake » Sat Jun 26, 2010 12:02 am

Solidly Early: Before Halloween
Early: Before Thanksgiving
On Time: Before Christmas
Informally Late: Before the deadline

Better LSAT trumps being Early
Good LSAT + Solid Early trumps simply being Early(but this is not an option for you, so do not sweat losing what minimal impact this will have.)

acadec

Postby acadec » Sat Jun 26, 2010 12:40 am

And this is measured by...when your application goes complete?

cyxdev17

Postby cyxdev17 » Sat Jun 26, 2010 12:40 am

acrossthelake wrote:Solidly Early: Before Halloween
Early: Before Thanksgiving
On Time: Before Christmas
Informally Late: Before the deadline

Better LSAT trumps being Early
Good LSAT + Solid Early trumps simply being Early(but this is not an option for you, so do not sweat losing what minimal impact this will have.)

Makes sense. Thanks!

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Sat Jun 26, 2010 1:15 am

This rule is not hard and fast. I retook in Dec. The school I will be attending I applied to in mid January, got in 2 weeks later, and a month later I got over half tuition. T17, at the medians. Applied to another T17 slightly above medians around the same time and got in late (early April I think, still not ideal) with about half tuition.

Still recommend applying early obviously, but it's not worth forgoing a whole cycle just because you retook in December, say.

JerrySeinfeld

Postby JerrySeinfeld » Sat Jun 26, 2010 1:15 am

acadec wrote:And this is measured by...when your application goes complete?

I'd like to know the answer to this question as well.

acrossthelake

Postby acrossthelake » Sat Jun 26, 2010 1:20 am

rad law wrote:This rule is not hard and fast. I retook in Dec. The school I will be attending I applied to in mid January, got in 2 weeks later, and a month later I got over half tuition. T17, at the medians. Applied to another T17 slightly above medians around the same time and got in late (early April I think, still not ideal) with about half tuition.

Still recommend applying early obviously, but it's not worth forgoing a whole cycle just because you retook in December, say.

Yeah. It's just that earlier in the cycle there are more slots, and with human psychology as well the admission officers are more fresh. You can obv. still get in with fewer slots and a tired admissions officer, it's just harder.

And yes, when they go complete.

capitalacq

Postby capitalacq » Sat Jun 26, 2010 12:33 pm

go complete before Dec. 1st and you're early... there's not much of a difference getting it in later in december, but the admissions office is likely closed during christmas break and you might have a longer wait before hearing back

flyingpanda

Postby flyingpanda » Sat Jun 26, 2010 6:38 pm

rad law wrote:This rule is not hard and fast. I retook in Dec. The school I will be attending I applied to in mid January, got in 2 weeks later, and a month later I got over half tuition. T17, at the medians. Applied to another T17 slightly above medians around the same time and got in late (early April I think, still not ideal) with about half tuition.

Early is much more important for splitters and reverse splitters than for median/median people.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”