Investment Banker Needs Law school advice, 158

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
User avatar
glewz
Posts: 785
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2010 4:32 pm

Re: Investment Banker Needs Law school advice, 158

Postby glewz » Thu Jul 01, 2010 6:34 am

hmm..you attended a top 10 undergrad business school (uva/mit/upenn/cornell/berkeley/etc.) with a 3.9 triple major, landed a job at a top tier bank (goldman/morgan/blackstone/etc.) and now intend to attend a top 50 law school?

no offense, but that sounds really off...somethin fishy


cardozo's median stats are 164/3.60, btw

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: Investment Banker Needs Law school advice, 158

Postby 09042014 » Thu Jul 01, 2010 8:43 am

glewz wrote:hmm..you attended a top 10 undergrad business school (uva/mit/upenn/cornell/berkeley/etc.) with a 3.9 triple major, landed a job at a top tier bank (goldman/morgan/blackstone/etc.) and now intend to attend a top 50 law school?

no offense, but that sounds really off...somethin fishy


cardozo's median stats are 164/3.60, btw


It's not that crazy. Harvard ugrad median lsat is only 165. That means plenty can only get lower T1.

seasurf
Posts: 22
Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2010 8:04 pm

Re: Investment Banker Needs Law school advice, 158

Postby seasurf » Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:27 am

glewz wrote:hmm..you attended a top 10 undergrad business school (uva/mit/upenn/cornell/berkeley/etc.) with a 3.9 triple major, landed a job at a top tier bank (goldman/morgan/blackstone/etc.) and now intend to attend a top 50 law school?

no offense, but that sounds really off...somethin fishy


cardozo's median stats are 164/3.60, btw



I did attend one of those UG's but I do not work at one of those banks,,, Dude, most people in my route do not go to law school and the LSAT is a lot different than other standardized exams that I have taken (you cant breeze through it without prep like the GMATS or SATs). If you think my story is made up, then screw off

On a side note, I am aware of Cordozo's stats, but since I am below their 25th on LSAT but way above their 75th on GPA, i thought I would have a chance. However, people are predicting doomsday if I attend Cardozo or Brookyn so I have some thinking to do
Last edited by seasurf on Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
sanpiero
Posts: 574
Joined: Sat Feb 14, 2009 8:09 am

Re: Investment Banker Needs Law school advice, 158

Postby sanpiero » Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:36 am

OP - you hate banking. what makes you think you'll enjoy practicing securities law at a big firm? it seems that the qol in these jobs would be about equal. i'm not trying to be an asshole, here. i'm genuinely interested in what makes you think you'd enjoy securities law.

seasurf
Posts: 22
Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2010 8:04 pm

Re: Investment Banker Needs Law school advice, 158

Postby seasurf » Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:43 am

sanpiero wrote:OP - you hate banking. what makes you think you'll enjoy practicing securities law at a big firm? it seems that the qol in these jobs would be about equal. i'm not trying to be an asshole, here. i'm genuinely interested in what makes you think you'd enjoy securities law.


No I dont think you are trying to be an asshole. Securities law was one of the aspects of law that I am interested in. Also, I do not hate banking that much, I just hate my particular job. I also do not really care about working in BIglaw. I was thinking about working for FINRA or the SEC. I also want to go to law school to see if there are any other particular areas of law (corporate, criminal) that I would be interested in.

dukelawguy144
Posts: 139
Joined: Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:04 pm

Re: Investment Banker Needs Law school advice, 158

Postby dukelawguy144 » Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:48 am

seasurf wrote:
sanpiero wrote:OP - you hate banking. what makes you think you'll enjoy practicing securities law at a big firm? it seems that the qol in these jobs would be about equal. i'm not trying to be an asshole, here. i'm genuinely interested in what makes you think you'd enjoy securities law.


No I dont think you are trying to be an asshole. Securities law was one of the aspects of law that I am interested in. Also, I do not hate banking that much, I just hate my particular job. I also do not really care about working in BIglaw. I was thinking about working for FINRA or the SEC. I also want to go to law school to see if there are any other particular areas of law (corporate, criminal) that I would be interested in.



Dude the SEC and FINRA dont recruit from the "untouchables" aka defined as non-t14 graduates. if you are for real. suck it up at your job for another year and actually STUDY for your LSATS. u r freaking retarded to think that you could just wing this exam (especially since you took it three times). Just wait man, most people would love to be in the position of making a six digit salary after college. Also, most likely, you will be making a lot less if you attend those shitty law schools.

theanswer
Posts: 27
Joined: Fri Sep 18, 2009 2:49 pm

Re: Investment Banker Needs Law school advice, 158

Postby theanswer » Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:22 am

"I have saved up enough money to pay for atleast 85% of my law school education and I do not mind taking 30k in debt. I want to stay in New York City. Now I want to know if anyone thinks I have a good shot at Cardozo? I know its not top tier, but I do not want to wait to go to law school. What about Brooklyn? Are the education and career prospects from either of these schools as bad as the people of TLS make it sound?"


You have 170k in savings and you want to use it on a t50 law school? It is certainly beneficial to have the money so you can limit your debt, but spending that much will likely amount to a very poor return on your investment.

If you wanted to send out applications this year, you could look into Northwestern, which offers a two-year program for particularly successful professionals (look into it, I am not sure what the exact qualifications are), and is willing to accept a GRE. You could study for the GRE, take it late summer/early fall, and still have time to make NU's early decision deadline. With your work experience and a 700+ GRE they might take a chance on you.

If you did this, your fallback plan could be a Sept 2011 LSAT re-take. You could get an easy job and use your year off to study. I guess there is no stopping you from applying to NYC-area schools just to see what would happen, but definitely do not go to Cardozo or BLS. Those schools are terrible investments, plain and simple. You have a huge huge huge HUGE financial advantage over 99.999 percent of LS applicants, and it would be a shame if you blew it on those schools.

If I were you, and I was really serious about LS, I would do the following:

1. quit my job at the end of my contract, sublet my NYC apartment or just break lease (assuming this will happen around the fall of this year?).
2. Move to Charlottesville, VA in Sept 2010. (After one year as a Va resident, you become eligible for in-state tuition at Va schools). Try to find a woman amongst u-grad population and convince her to re-locate w. you after her graduation by telling her about your LS ambitions/bank account savings.
3. Get a job doing something that will pay the bills, study for the GRE exam try to ensure 700+.
4. Apply to Northwestern ED after taking GREs.
5. Begin LSAT studying around the new year or a little after. If you put in a solid 6 months or so, you should be able to guarentee 165+, which will definitley put you in UVA (w. in-state tuition) and possinbly berkely. If you study long enough, you will probably break 170, which will put you in a ton of great schools, maybe even Standford (although your previous crappy LSATS would make it a close call).

The NYC law school market is really hit or miss. For LS to be a worthwhile investment to a candidate of your background, it is pretty much NYU/Columbia or bust. The willingness to re-locate will really give you a huge advantage that you are squandering by refusing to look outside of NYC.

dukelawguy144
Posts: 139
Joined: Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:04 pm

Re: Investment Banker Needs Law school advice, 158

Postby dukelawguy144 » Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:42 am

You have 170k in savings and you want to use it on a t50 law school? It is certainly beneficial to have the money so you can limit your debt, but spending that much will likely amount to a very poor return on your investment.



DUDE 170K in savings. I would rather go to Vegas and bet on red in increments of 50k then waste it at shitty law schools. +1 to this post, this is great advice.

how many years out of college are you?

seasurf
Posts: 22
Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2010 8:04 pm

Re: Investment Banker Needs Law school advice, 158

Postby seasurf » Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:07 pm

dukelawguy144 wrote:
You have 170k in savings and you want to use it on a t50 law school? It is certainly beneficial to have the money so you can limit your debt, but spending that much will likely amount to a very poor return on your investment.



DUDE 170K in savings. I would rather go to Vegas and bet on red in increments of 50k then waste it at shitty law schools. +1 to this post, this is great advice.

how many years out of college are you?


3 years. but according to you, I do not exist....

seasurf
Posts: 22
Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2010 8:04 pm

Re: Investment Banker Needs Law school advice, 158

Postby seasurf » Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:12 pm

theanswer wrote:"I have saved up enough money to pay for atleast 85% of my law school education and I do not mind taking 30k in debt. I want to stay in New York City. Now I want to know if anyone thinks I have a good shot at Cardozo? I know its not top tier, but I do not want to wait to go to law school. What about Brooklyn? Are the education and career prospects from either of these schools as bad as the people of TLS make it sound?"


You have 170k in savings and you want to use it on a t50 law school? It is certainly beneficial to have the money so you can limit your debt, but spending that much will likely amount to a very poor return on your investment.

If you wanted to send out applications this year, you could look into Northwestern, which offers a two-year program for particularly successful professionals (look into it, I am not sure what the exact qualifications are), and is willing to accept a GRE. You could study for the GRE, take it late summer/early fall, and still have time to make NU's early decision deadline. With your work experience and a 700+ GRE they might take a chance on you.

If you did this, your fallback plan could be a Sept 2011 LSAT re-take. You could get an easy job and use your year off to study. I guess there is no stopping you from applying to NYC-area schools just to see what would happen, but definitely do not go to Cardozo or BLS. Those schools are terrible investments, plain and simple. You have a huge huge huge HUGE financial advantage over 99.999 percent of LS applicants, and it would be a shame if you blew it on those schools.

If I were you, and I was really serious about LS, I would do the following:

1. quit my job at the end of my contract, sublet my NYC apartment or just break lease (assuming this will happen around the fall of this year?).
2. Move to Charlottesville, VA in Sept 2010. (After one year as a Va resident, you become eligible for in-state tuition at Va schools). Try to find a woman amongst u-grad population and convince her to re-locate w. you after her graduation by telling her about your LS ambitions/bank account savings.
3. Get a job doing something that will pay the bills, study for the GRE exam try to ensure 700+.
4. Apply to Northwestern ED after taking GREs.
5. Begin LSAT studying around the new year or a little after. If you put in a solid 6 months or so, you should be able to guarentee 165+, which will definitley put you in UVA (w. in-state tuition) and possinbly berkely. If you study long enough, you will probably break 170, which will put you in a ton of great schools, maybe even Standford (although your previous crappy LSATS would make it a close call).

The NYC law school market is really hit or miss. For LS to be a worthwhile investment to a candidate of your background, it is pretty much NYU/Columbia or bust. The willingness to re-locate will really give you a huge advantage that you are squandering by refusing to look outside of NYC.



Thanks, I think Northwestern accepts GMAT for the JD MBA program, which I would consider doing one day. I got a 670 on the GMATs (only three weeks of studying and verbal was the harder section, I think I was nearly perfect on the math side.

My parents and I just bought an apartment in Manhattan (I paid for 1/3, they paid for the rest), so that is why I really wanted to stay in the city. I appreciate your advice!! I have a lot to think about.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider], Bing [Bot], cooldog, phelpsy and 4 guests