After acceptance, must late disclosures be sent to all....

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Feldman416

After acceptance, must late disclosures be sent to all....

Postby Feldman416 » Thu Jun 24, 2010 3:47 pm

I am scheduled to begin law school in the fall but have a concern. I forgot to disclose a small mishap that occurred my sophomore year and I am unsure how/where to go about disclosing it. The incident was nominal; I was caught in a dorm room where there were open containers. I received a letter a few days after the incident officially documenting it, but there was no further disciplinary action taken. I completely and honestly overlooked the event when disclosing in my applications this past year, and now do not what to do. I contacted the resident life office and asked if this incident was on my record, and it was. The specific verbiage of the C&F question for the school I am attending wouldn't require me to disclose this event, but for a lot of the other schools it would be required. Do I need to contact every school and ask to add this to my application two months after my withdrawal? Can I even do this? Does anyone have any experience or advice?

Great Satchmo

Re: After acceptance, must late disclosures be sent to all....

Postby Great Satchmo » Thu Jun 24, 2010 5:00 pm

Feldman416 wrote:I am scheduled to begin law school in the fall but have a concern. I forgot to disclose a small mishap that occurred my sophomore year and I am unsure how/where to go about disclosing it. The incident was nominal; I was caught in a dorm room where there were open containers. I received a letter a few days after the incident officially documenting it, but there was no further disciplinary action taken. I completely and honestly overlooked the event when disclosing in my applications this past year, and now do not what to do. I contacted the resident life office and asked if this incident was on my record, and it was. The specific verbiage of the C&F question for the school I am attending wouldn't require me to disclose this event, but for a lot of the other schools it would be required. Do I need to contact every school and ask to add this to my application two months after my withdrawal? Can I even do this? Does anyone have any experience or advice?

I can't imagine why in the world you would need to contact schools you withdrew from for this.

If the school you are going to attend specifically says they don't care and you don't need to disclose it...then don't.

You could always call your school anonymously and let them know the situation and ask what you need to do.

Feldman416

Postby Feldman416 » Thu Jun 24, 2010 5:17 pm

Great Satchmo wrote:
Feldman416 wrote:I am scheduled to begin law school in the fall but have a concern. I forgot to disclose a small mishap that occurred my sophomore year and I am unsure how/where to go about disclosing it. The incident was nominal; I was caught in a dorm room where there were open containers. I received a letter a few days after the incident officially documenting it, but there was no further disciplinary action taken. I completely and honestly overlooked the event when disclosing in my applications this past year, and now do not what to do. I contacted the resident life office and asked if this incident was on my record, and it was. The specific verbiage of the C&F question for the school I am attending wouldn't require me to disclose this event, but for a lot of the other schools it would be required. Do I need to contact every school and ask to add this to my application two months after my withdrawal? Can I even do this? Does anyone have any experience or advice?

I can't imagine why in the world you would need to contact schools you withdrew from for this.

If the school you are going to attend specifically says they don't care and you don't need to disclose it...then don't.

You could always call your school anonymously and let them know the situation and ask what you need to do.

Thanks for the response. I guess my main concern is whether the bar C&F will review my applications and find a discrepancy. I am trying to err on the side of caution here. So the bar only cares about the application for the school you attend?

vamedic03

Postby vamedic03 » Thu Jun 24, 2010 9:37 pm

Feldman416 wrote:
Great Satchmo wrote:

Thanks for the response. I guess my main concern is whether the bar C&F will review my applications and find a discrepancy. I am trying to err on the side of caution here. So the bar only cares about the application for the school you attend?

They're not going to be concerned about the 50 other applications you mailed - the bar doesn't have the time or the resources to conduct that sort of evaluation.

However, you should probably err on the side of full disclosure with the school you're going to attend. A simple rule of thumb - Its always better to err on the side of full disclosure.

Feldman416

Postby Feldman416 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 4:07 pm

bump

hsprophet

Postby hsprophet » Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:18 am

Just call the school where you will be attending and tell them you need to update your file with a disclosure of a minor event you overlooked in the application process. I would be VERY surprised if they make an issue out of it. But you can't just let it slide; you must inform the school of the incident.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”