Foolish Decision? Would appreciate your input

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Kaka

Foolish Decision? Would appreciate your input

Postby Kaka » Wed Jun 23, 2010 9:45 pm

Quick overview - I just graduated from UG (debt free) and have taken the LSAT once. GPA is a 3.4x. My only LSAT score is 160.
I am from Wyoming (capital city).

I have a bit of a dilemma. I took the LSAT last December under not so appropo circumstances and eeked out a 160. I studied for 3 months in all but had to balance studying with a ton of class work and in the end my test day performance was way below par. Anyway, I applied to my local state school and was offered a half scholarship with instate tuiton. The problem is, I am not sure I want it. My father has been a lawyer in WY for quite a while and has done very well for himself and is about to retire at the age of 55. He says he cannot promise anything if I return home but he is sure he can "find me something." The thing is, I am not sure I am ready to be confined to just options in WY with a job that is adequate when I graduate. I talked to the dean of WY Law School and I was told I could defer my admittance and scholarship for next year if I would like to do so. I am highly contemplating sitting out a year and retaking the LSAT in October and December if need be. I have done 5 PT over the last few weeks with 4 of the 5 at a 170 or better. My father on the other hand thinks that it is a foolish decision to hold a year and waste a year of earnings and my life?

Basically, the 2 options are go next fall for dirt cheap (parents cover COL and tuition) or defer my offer and retake with the hopes of doing better and getting a scholarship to a T40 school that can possibly open more doors for me and compliment by 2 UG business degrees. I am not going to lie, I would also like to have my Grad degree carry a little name prestige as it is a defining accomplishment in ones life.

Anyway, if you were me how would you play this decision? All advice is appreciated as I am 50/50 as to what to do. I understand the consequences but for me it is 1. Waste a year of my life if I do not do better or 2. Regret attending during the first semester, doing poorly and regretting not going for it and taking a risk.

Thanks

xyzzzzzzzz

Re: Foolish Decision? Would appreciate your input

Postby xyzzzzzzzz » Wed Jun 23, 2010 9:52 pm

:P
Last edited by xyzzzzzzzz on Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kaka

Postby Kaka » Wed Jun 23, 2010 10:05 pm

Thanks for your input. I do not think the connections would be going anywhere seeing as the state does not change much. I am just trying to decide if it is worth it to go for another crack at the LSAT.

Aggiegrad2011

Postby Aggiegrad2011 » Wed Jun 23, 2010 10:05 pm

I can appreciate your situation!

It seems to remind me of the old axiom, "One bird in the hand is worth two in the bush." In this particular instance, the bird in the hand is the inexpensive law education in tandem with your father's connections and ability to get a job, or "something." (Maybe you could ask him to clarify that.)

With experience after cutting your teeth for a few years, you might be able to break the bonds, and travel somewhere more desirable. 4-6 years experience in the workplace might overcome the lower ranked institution.

Just something to think about! I personally wouldn't risk going after the LSAT again in your situation.

xyzzzzzzzz

Postby xyzzzzzzzz » Wed Jun 23, 2010 10:08 pm

Last edited by xyzzzzzzzz on Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.

xyzzzzzzzz

Postby xyzzzzzzzz » Wed Jun 23, 2010 10:08 pm

Last edited by xyzzzzzzzz on Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kaka

Postby Kaka » Wed Jun 23, 2010 10:09 pm

Thing is, he would be out of the game completely and wants to split time. I kind of have the mindset that "something" would be a law job at a mid size firm etc. Which is fine, but is one year of that worth not going for something better and not living out to my true potential? Or vice versa? Just a very hard decision, I do not want it to be November of this year and me depressed and lacking motivation because of a regret.

amolson04

Postby amolson04 » Wed Jun 23, 2010 10:10 pm

If it were me, my choice would depend a lot on my options for next year. I took the LSAT as a senior, got a 164. Took a year off, worked, retook the LSAT in the fall, a year post-graduation (so, two years after I took it the first time). I raised my score to 171, got into a handful of T14s, waitlisted at several others, and am headed to Berkeley in the fall with some scholarship money. Not to mention, I got some incredible work experience. So, for me, it was definitely the right decision.

But, if you think you are going to be "wasting" a year of your life by not going to law school right away, then maybe you should go in the fall. I really think that working for awhile gave me much more perspective on careers and life in general, and I have a much clearer idea of what I would eventually like to do (because I worked in a legal setting during my time off).

If you don't go, what would you do instead? Some work experience can also strengthen your application considerably. Or maybe you'd want to do something service-oriented.

The other thing is, when you say your dad could set you up with something, is that something you'd genuinely want to do? Or would you feel like you were settling? If the "something" he could hook you up with isn't something that really interests you, then I would have reservations about that. But if that's the kind of work you want to do, then it might work out really well for you.

I'm from Montana, and I also struggled with this dilemma - go to UM for cheap, and know that my options are regionally limited (basically, to Montana, Idaho, Wyoming, N. Dakota), or pay more, go to a higher-ranked school, and have national options? I really wanted to keep my options open.

So, for what it's worth, that's my two cents. You can definitely PM me if you want to talk about the particulars some more!

gwuorbust

Postby gwuorbust » Thu Jun 24, 2010 11:46 am

option A. retake, hopefully hit a 170+, go to t14, get a job in NYC, models and bottles.

option B. go to WY. very little debt and risk. live in WY for the foreseeable future.

so all you have to decide is if you are satisfied with living in WY for a while after graduation or if you want more. if you want more then politely tell your dad that you are going to take a risk, that you are an adult and that it is your decision.

IMO take the risk and try for the 170+

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”