Finishing one of my majors before the other

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
unattended bag

Finishing one of my majors before the other

Postby unattended bag » Wed Jun 23, 2010 4:51 pm

I'm a double major, and will finish one of the majors a semester earlier than the other. Once I complete the first major, will any credits received in the following semester still count towards my LSAC GPA?

Thanks in advance.

manbearwig

Re: Finishing one of my majors before the other

Postby manbearwig » Wed Jun 23, 2010 4:55 pm

unattended bag wrote:I'm a double major, and will finish one of the majors a semester earlier than the other. Once I complete the first major, will any credits received in the following semester still count towards my LSAC GPA?

Thanks in advance.

Will you receive your degree after you finish the first major? If not, the credits still count. It's not when you finish your major, it's when you receive your first undergraduate degree that the credits stop counting.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Wed Jun 23, 2010 4:56 pm

Make sure you do not graduate. They stop counting after your first degree is conferred upon you. Delay graduation until you have all credits for all degrees, and you'll be fine.

unattended bag

Postby unattended bag » Wed Jun 23, 2010 4:58 pm

Ok, thanks for the responses. This leads me to a second question. If I'm not happy with my LSAC GPA, can I continue to take courses to boost it before applying for graduation?

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Wed Jun 23, 2010 5:01 pm

unattended bag wrote:Ok, thanks for the responses. This leads me to a second question. If I'm not happy with my LSAC GPA, can I continue to take courses to boost it before applying for graduation?

Yes, you can do this as long as you want, as long as you can delay graduation until after you've taken those classes.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Wed Jun 23, 2010 5:03 pm

unattended bag wrote:Ok, thanks for the responses. This leads me to a second question. If I'm not happy with my LSAC GPA, can I continue to take courses to boost it before applying for graduation?

Yes, but I'd say it is likely not worth wasting thousands of dollars and a year of your life to increase your GPA .1 or .2. What is your GPA? What schools are you aiming for? Do you have an LSAT score?

unattended bag

Postby unattended bag » Wed Jun 23, 2010 5:12 pm

romothesavior wrote:

Yes, but I'd say it is likely not worth wasting thousands of dollars and a year of your life to increase your GPA .1 or .2. What is your GPA? What schools are you aiming for? Do you have an LSAT score?

This is a good point, and something that is definitely worth considering.

At my current undergrad, I have a 3.838 GPA on 70 credits. However, in my first attempt at college 6 years ago, I dropped out after 2 years with around a 2.0. After that, I went to culinary school (did not receive a degree, only a certificate) and worked as a chef for a few years. Now I'm back in school and doing great. I'm in the process of submitting my transcripts to LSAC.

I'll be taking the LSAT in October, so no, I don't have a score yet....but my prep is going very well, so things look promising so far.

Thanks again to everyone who responded.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Wed Jun 23, 2010 5:18 pm

unattended bag wrote:
romothesavior wrote:

This is a good point, and something that is definitely worth considering.

At my current undergrad, I have a 3.838 GPA on 70 credits. However, in my first attempt at college 6 years ago, I dropped out after 2 years with around a 2.0. After that, I went to culinary school (did not receive a degree, only a certificate) and worked as a chef for a few years. Now I'm back in school and doing great. I'm in the process of submitting my transcripts to LSAC.

I'll be taking the LSAT in October, so no, I don't have a score yet....but my prep is going very well, so things look promising so far.

Thanks again to everyone who responded.

Your GPA will likely bar you from HYS and maybe CCN (depending on how low it is), but with a 170+ you should have great options. Calculate your LSAC GPA and then go from there. I think with a GPA addendum, your work experience, and an interesting background (I can't imagine many people go to law school after being a chef), you should be able to distance yourself from that GPA a bit.

Focus on your LSAT and write a compelling PS (maybe your culinary background would make an interesting topic... like drawing connections between law and cooking). Do not stay in school just to get your GPA a tenth or two. With a good LSAT, you will have solid options.

PS. Are you a URM?

unattended bag

Postby unattended bag » Wed Jun 23, 2010 5:29 pm

romothesavior wrote:PS. Are you a URM?

Unfortunately, no. I don't have any pipe dreams of breaking the top 10 though. I'm realistic enough to know where I stand. I hope to have some options within the top 25, so the LSAT will obviously be the determining factor.

Edit: great idea regarding the personal statement, thank you for the suggestion.

Postby 09042014 » Wed Jun 23, 2010 5:31 pm

unattended bag wrote:

Unfortunately, no. I don't have any pipe dreams of breaking the top 10 though. I'm realistic enough to know where I stand. I hope to have some options within the top 25, so the LSAT will obviously be the determining factor.

Edit: great idea regarding the personal statement, thank you for the suggestion.

You should have damn near 3.00. If you get a 170, you can probably get into UVA via ED.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Wed Jun 23, 2010 5:32 pm

unattended bag wrote:

Dream big dude, seriously. You are in a fortunate position. You have three months to prep... go make it happen.

hsprophet

Postby hsprophet » Wed Jun 23, 2010 5:51 pm

Your first attempt at college will hurt your gpa (make sure you send LSAC a transcript from that school to LSAC), but your current gpa is high and you'll probably be ok. I'd just do like others are saying, don't graduate until the second major is finished, take whatever gpa LSAC gives you, and roll with it.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”