Old UG Transfer transcripts are going to screw me Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
pkrtbx

New

Old UG Transfer transcripts are going to screw me

Post by pkrtbx » Wed Jun 23, 2010 11:32 am

I am a rising junior at a good but non-target school so I know the importance of the GPA to begin with, and at my home institution I'm double majoring and managing to maintain a 3.9. BUT, my past is coming back to haunt me.

I was sent to an out-of-state inpatient addiction treatment facility during my last year of high school and graduated early, so they made me take classes at the local college to keep myself busy (I didn't even know where I was going for undergrad yet). I aced my english and spanish classes, and had about a B in math but got extremely sick and had to move home the day after the final, so I just skipped the exam and took the F. When I did wind up at my undergrad institution, I transferred those credits over to take care of my core english class and boost my credit count, and figured the F would be harmless because it didn't transfer over.

But that's not all: I signed up at my local CC for online classes so I could finish up my core requirements this summer, only to learn that three dual-enrollment classes that I took in high school were through the same institution. These classes were pre-addiction treatment, so as you can imagine they are shite on the GPA.

I asked the dual-enrollment institution if there is any way to separate the current transcript from the dual-enrollment classes from four years ago, but they said I needed to talk to my high school (I'm doubtful anything will happen). I've looked up academic renewal policies, but I don't have enough credits at either institution to pursue them, and the grades would still remain on the transcript anyway (will be calculated is LSDAS). I suppose I could try to go without any of these extra classes, but I am trying to graduate in four years with two separate degrees and two minors, will be studying abroad in China this year and writing an honors thesis next, so I don't know that I'll be able to throw four extra classes on top of my schedule at this point.

I am freaking out about this. High school was a terrible time for me and I have worked my tail off in college to turn that around. The only option I can think of is to write addenda to each application, but I don't want to look like I am being shady/desperate, and I doubt any officer will care to look at my addendum after seeing a significantly lower LSDAS. Is there anything I can do about this? Is there any way that I might actually be able to talk to a human admissions officer when the time comes? Since I'm at a non-target school, I've found that getting in touch with real people is next to impossible.

Holly Golightly

Gold

Re: Old UG Transfer transcripts are going to screw me

Post by Holly Golightly » Wed Jun 23, 2010 11:37 am

It really sucks, but you're going to get screwed. Do as well as you can in your remaining classes and on the LSAT, and definitely write an addendum. That's about all you can do at this point.

pkrtbx

New

Post by pkrtbx » Wed Jun 23, 2010 12:29 pm

Just calculated my current LSAC GPA and at 3.65, I'm not thrilled with it but it certainly isn't as bas as I expected; if I stay strong looks like I can bring it up to ~3.8, which isn't too far from my 3.9 institution GPA.

I am just worried that damn F is going to steal the show on my transcripts

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Wed Jun 23, 2010 12:37 pm

pkrtbx wrote:Just calculated my current LSAC GPA and at 3.65, I'm not thrilled with it but it certainly isn't as bas as I expected; if I stay strong looks like I can bring it up to ~3.8, which isn't too far from my 3.9 institution GPA.

They don't care at all about individual grades, only the LSAC GPA.

shoop

Bronze

Post by shoop » Wed Jun 23, 2010 4:27 pm

It doesn't matter that CC won't split your pre- and post-treatment transcripts, because you'd have had to send them both anyways. I was bitten in the ass by some high school dual-enrollment stuff, too.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

xyzzzzzzzz

Bronze

Post by xyzzzzzzzz » Wed Jun 23, 2010 5:16 pm

8)
Last edited by xyzzzzzzzz on Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ragged

Silver

Post by Ragged » Wed Jun 23, 2010 5:18 pm

tl;dr, but welcome to the club.

just wirte an addendum if you have a good reason.

pkrtbx

New

Post by pkrtbx » Thu Jun 24, 2010 4:01 pm

xyzzzzzzzz wrote:
pkrtbx wrote:Just calculated my current LSAC GPA and at 3.65, I'm not thrilled with it but it certainly isn't as bas as I expected; if I stay strong looks like I can bring it up to ~3.8, which isn't too far from my 3.9 institution GPA.

Are you sure about this? I'm thinking an F would bring your gpa down more. But, I don't know how many classes you've taken.
At least that was per the LSDAS GPA calc on Law School Predictor. I was surprised by it too, I thought it was going to hurt a lot more. But I have taken 70+ credits at my full-time institution and all but one class are As, as well as several transfer credits that were also As, so hopefully if I keep going strong the F will take more of a back seat.

Great, even more pressure to ace every class :roll:

xyzzzzzzzz

Bronze

Post by xyzzzzzzzz » Thu Jun 24, 2010 4:22 pm

:!:

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”