Should I Apply From Overseas?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
sundance95

Should I Apply From Overseas?

Postby sundance95 » Tue Jun 22, 2010 8:12 pm

Hey all, my wife and I are considering going to SE Asia to teach English for three to six months. Can anyone comment on whether my application looks more attractive if my current address is in, say, Vietnam as opposed to California? I've noticed that the school viewbooks like to brag about school X's worldwide draw and listing all the places they receive apps from.

If anyone has any insight, I'd love to hear it-if I can improve my chances even moderately by simply waiting until I am situated overseas to hit send on the LSAC application, I'll do it.

If it makes a difference, I will be applying to about 14 schools from MVC on down to UCLA/UT, ending at UC Davis.

xyzzzzzzzz

Re: Should I Apply From Overseas?

Postby xyzzzzzzzz » Tue Jun 22, 2010 8:38 pm

. :arrow:
Last edited by xyzzzzzzzz on Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Haribo

Postby Haribo » Tue Jun 22, 2010 10:06 pm

In addition to what xyzzzzzzz said, any "bump" you'll get from applying from Vietnam (which is likely to be negligible, and consist mostly of a bump for the experience of teaching English in Vietnam rather than the return address for your application) will be offset by the undeniable bump you can obtain by applying early.

Also, as someone who applied from overseas, I'd recommend using an address in the US as your permanent address, if you can, especially since you'll only be gone for 3-6 months. Maybe your parents' house, or your wife's parents? It will be very annoying to have to wait an extra two weeks+ on all the communications, plus you'll run the risk of losing things en route.

sundance95

Postby sundance95 » Tue Jun 22, 2010 11:52 pm

Haribo wrote:In addition to what xyzzzzzzz said, any "bump" you'll get from applying from Vietnam (which is likely to be negligible, and consist mostly of a bump for the experience of teaching English in Vietnam rather than the return address for your application) will be offset by the undeniable bump you can obtain by applying early.

Also, as someone who applied from overseas, I'd recommend using an address in the US as your permanent address, if you can, especially since you'll only be gone for 3-6 months. Maybe your parents' house, or your wife's parents? It will be very annoying to have to wait an extra two weeks+ on all the communications, plus you'll run the risk of losing things en route.

Good point regarding correspondence, ty. My apps will be there the day they begin accepting them, but I suspected that the only benefit would be the soft of teaching English. Thanks again.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”