Loyola Chicago or Chicago-Kent - PLEASE VOTE! (last time) Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )

Which is the better school?

Kent
36%
Loyola
64%

Total votes: 28

thinkbig

Bronze

Loyola Chicago or Chicago-Kent - PLEASE VOTE! (last time)

Post by thinkbig » Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:49 pm

I have equal scholarships from both schools. Which would you choose? These are the only two options! Pick one.

Notor

Bronze

Re: Loyola Chicago or Chicago-Kent - PLEASE VOTE! (last time)

Post by Notor » Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:54 pm

thinkbig wrote:I have equal scholarships from both schools. Which would you choose? These are the only two options! Pick one.
Are the scholarship stipulations exactly the same too? If not, I would hardly say they are equal.

thinkbig

Bronze

Post by thinkbig » Mon Jun 21, 2010 11:06 pm

Good point. no, they are not the same.

At Kent I would need to maintain a 3.2 to get the full amount. Between 3.0-3.2, I'd get half. Below a 3.0, I'd lose it all, permanently.

At Loyola, I would need to maintain a 3.0 to get the full amount. Below 3.0, I'd get half. Raise it back above a 3.0, I go back to receiving the full amount.

In other words, the least I could get at Loyola would be half. The least at Kent would be zero.

tru

Bronze

Post by tru » Mon Jun 21, 2010 11:48 pm

Last edited by tru on Fri May 20, 2016 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

traehekat

Gold

Post by traehekat » Mon Jun 21, 2010 11:56 pm

Daytukrjabs wrote:are you really going to decide your law school fate based on TLS vote?

Please add option: Not Attend Law School and wait 2 years to grow up.
:? ...

OP, I would go with Loyola. I think they have the best reputation in Chicago out of Loyola, Kent, and DePaul. I don't know if you have any inclination towards health law (which Loyola has a strong program for) or intellectual property (which Kent has a strong program for), but that could also affect your decision. Loyola has better scholarship stipulations, as well. The new courtroom at Loyola is pretty stellar, too (for what it's worth).

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Jack Smirks

Silver

Post by Jack Smirks » Tue Jun 22, 2010 12:03 am

I think it depends on what sort of law that you want to practice, I know people that have went to both and although Loyola hopped IIT in the rankings this year, I live in Chicago and I have to say from my experience it seems that IIT has the better reputation if you plan on staying in the city to practice. Just my 2 cents.

thinkbig

Bronze

Post by thinkbig » Tue Jun 22, 2010 2:19 am

Daytukrjabs wrote:are you really going to decide your law school fate based on TLS vote?
No.

im_blue

Gold

Post by im_blue » Tue Jun 22, 2010 2:20 am

thinkbig wrote:Good point. no, they are not the same.

At Kent I would need to maintain a 3.2 to get the full amount. Between 3.0-3.2, I'd get half. Below a 3.0, I'd lose it all, permanently.

At Loyola, I would need to maintain a 3.0 to get the full amount. Below 3.0, I'd get half. Raise it back above a 3.0, I go back to receiving the full amount.

In other words, the least I could get at Loyola would be half. The least at Kent would be zero.
Loyola is the obvious choice here, with the same rep as Chicago-Kent but much better scholarship stipulations.

PDaddy

Gold

Post by PDaddy » Tue Jun 22, 2010 2:37 am

I think they are both great schools, and, as a former Chicago resident, I have spent extensive time around them. That said, I just get the feeling that the overall experience at Kent is better.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

thinkbig

Bronze

Post by thinkbig » Tue Jun 22, 2010 9:38 am

brump

Rosebud523

New

Post by Rosebud523 » Tue Jun 22, 2010 1:03 pm

Go to kent so a spot frees up on the Loyola waitlist for me! Haha just kidding (sort of). I was rejected from Kent but Loyola is my first choice. Go wherever you get the better vibe and can see yourself fitting in.

lewis louis

Bronze

Post by lewis louis » Tue Jun 22, 2010 1:28 pm

I decided on Loyola (so I may be a bit biased), but I did get into both with equal scholarships that both had only the "good standing" stipulation attached. I chose Loyola without batting an eye after visiting. I cannot explain exactly why, but I can say Kent being an IT had something to do with it (and it's my understanding that it's rep among attorneys in the city reflects that same slightly negative sediment). Is that a good reason not to attend? of course not. Also, it has always been my understanding that in chicago, among these three (depaul,loyola,kent), it went Loyola>Kent>>Depaul. Obviously depending on who you talk to Loyola or Kent will be "the best of the 3" more often than Depaul, but between Kent and Loyola the difference is likely negligible, so I wouldn't give that much weight in my decision. Another thing I found interesting was that if you look at many law firms based in chicago Depaul and Loyola both have a much larger representation than Kent, most likely due to their extensive alumni network. So if you say that as far as rep Loyola=Kent, but Give Loyola>Kent for placement (due to alumni network) and Loyola>Kent for scholly, i'd say go to Loyola. Not only that but the vibe I got from everyone involved with Loyola was awesome. Can't say the same for Kent.

Loyola +1

LoyolaLaw2012

Bronze

Post by LoyolaLaw2012 » Tue Jun 22, 2010 1:35 pm

lewis louis wrote:I decided on Loyola (so I may be a bit biased), but I did get into both with equal scholarships that both had only the "good standing" stipulation attached. I chose Loyola without batting an eye after visiting. I cannot explain exactly why, but I can say Kent being an IT had something to do with it (and it's my understanding that it's rep among attorneys in the city reflects that same slightly negative sediment). Is that a good reason not to attend? of course not. Also, it has always been my understanding that in chicago, among these three (depaul,loyola,kent), it went Loyola>Kent>>Depaul. Obviously depending on who you talk to Loyola or Kent will be "the best of the 3" more often than Depaul, but between Kent and Loyola the difference is likely negligible, so I wouldn't give that much weight in my decision. Another thing I found interesting was that if you look at many law firms based in chicago Depaul and Loyola both have a much larger representation than Kent, most likely due to their extensive alumni network. So if you say that as far as rep Loyola=Kent, but Give Loyola>Kent for placement (due to alumni network) and Loyola>Kent for scholly, i'd say go to Loyola. Not only that but the vibe I got from everyone involved with Loyola was awesome. Can't say the same for Kent.

Loyola +1

You'll like Loyola. Good luck!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

thinkbig

Bronze

Post by thinkbig » Tue Jun 22, 2010 3:02 pm

lewis louis wrote:slightly negative sediment
hmm... Are you referring to some sort of anion-charged silt? jk (sorry, I'm just a grammar freak). But seriously, thanks for your input. You articulated pretty much how I'm leaning on this decision. Still haven't made up my mind, though.

lewis louis

Bronze

Post by lewis louis » Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:36 pm

lol @ me. Sentiment.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”