Why Are You Applying? Should We Be Honest?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
FirstTierToilet
Posts: 29
Joined: Mon Jun 21, 2010 4:56 pm

Re: Why Are You Applying? Should We Be Honest?

Postby FirstTierToilet » Mon Jun 21, 2010 9:03 pm

romothesavior wrote:The majority of your classmates have no serious job offers from an "elite" law school? I'm guessing by elite you mean T6 or maybe T10. The statistics (not talking about the ones from the schools themselves) do not support this assertion, unless by serious job offers you only mean biglaw.


I'm very sorry, Romo, but you are wrong.

miamiman
Posts: 1486
Joined: Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:55 pm

Re: Why Are You Applying? Should We Be Honest?

Postby miamiman » Mon Jun 21, 2010 9:05 pm

Romo, he's probably right. Random alt off the internet, pushing his scamblog, dissuading students from attending law school under any circumstance. I'd value this opinion.

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: Why Are You Applying? Should We Be Honest?

Postby romothesavior » Mon Jun 21, 2010 9:13 pm

FirstTierToilet wrote:
romothesavior wrote:The majority of your classmates have no serious job offers from an "elite" law school? I'm guessing by elite you mean T6 or maybe T10. The statistics (not talking about the ones from the schools themselves) do not support this assertion, unless by serious job offers you only mean biglaw.


I'm very sorry, Romo, but you are wrong.


Maybe some numbers to back up your claims? I'm not stupid enough to believe that law school employment numbers are even close to accurate, but I'm also not going to take some anecdotal claims from some random pissed off jobless dude on the internet over the hard data we have. Please explain to me how the vast majority of your classmates don't have real jobs.

Also, I want to thank you for this great line:

Most of the 2009 summer associates did not get offers, according to my estimate; but even the few who did get offers are not as lucky as you would imagine. They will most likely leave the firms within six years, or they will be laid off.


So what you're saying is... biglaw firms have high attrition rates and most associates don't stay beyond 6 years? Enlightening.

User avatar
Merr
Posts: 180
Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:55 pm

Re: Why Are You Applying? Should We Be Honest?

Postby Merr » Mon Jun 21, 2010 9:15 pm

Because it is one of the best ways to do real estate related work without being an active RE agent...Believe it or not OP, RE law is much less feast or famine then the bulk of RE agency work.
Last edited by Merr on Mon Jun 21, 2010 9:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
Mr. Matlock
Posts: 1360
Joined: Thu Nov 27, 2008 6:36 pm

Re: Why Are You Applying? Should We Be Honest?

Postby Mr. Matlock » Mon Jun 21, 2010 9:28 pm

I know I joked about it in one of your other enlightened threads, but seriously.... how many of these blogs do you really think are needed?

I know you're frustrated and looking for a way to vent, but why not use this energy towards something positive.... like getting a job or something? The woe is me routine is a huge turn off bro. You write a blog that basically states "I'm a loser, don't do what I did. They did this to me. Don't let them do it to you". Nobody owes you a damned thing. You either take what you have and make something of it, or wallow in a pool of self pity and entitlement. Do yourself a favor, give up on the latter.
Last edited by Mr. Matlock on Mon Jun 21, 2010 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
traehekat
Posts: 3195
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:00 pm

Re: Why Are You Applying? Should We Be Honest?

Postby traehekat » Mon Jun 21, 2010 9:28 pm

FirstTierToilet wrote:I did not tell you to go to law school. Do not invent facts that are not in the hypothetical.


College graduates will continue to apply to law school in droves because they feel that their situation is hopeless otherwise. Surely, life could not be any worse with an additional degree. This is where they are wrong. A law degree can serve as an employment straitjacket. At worst, it is financial ruin. Law school is the easiest graduate professional program to get into, and it still does carry some "prestige" to laypeople. This prestige, sadly, does not buy you a sandwich.


No?

User avatar
APHill
Posts: 230
Joined: Sat Mar 20, 2010 11:22 am

Re: Why Are You Applying? Should We Be Honest?

Postby APHill » Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:02 pm

Because playing lottery is fun, especially when you are betting 200K.

User avatar
wadeny
Posts: 137
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:52 pm

Re: Why Are You Applying? Should We Be Honest?

Postby wadeny » Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:11 pm

To get out of a dead end career and a middle management hell hole. Oh, and a love for the law, of course.

User avatar
LogicalBaozi
Posts: 63
Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2010 7:44 am

Re: Why Are You Applying? Should We Be Honest?

Postby LogicalBaozi » Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:13 pm

APHill wrote:Because playing lottery is fun, especially when you are betting 200K.


And some of us are (over)confident we can be in the top 5-10% of our classes, with awesome grades in law school, thus enabling us to pay back massive amounts of student loans.

User avatar
Cosmo Kramer
Posts: 141
Joined: Fri Jun 05, 2009 12:11 am

Re: Why Are You Applying? Should We Be Honest?

Postby Cosmo Kramer » Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:21 pm

LogicalBaozi wrote:
APHill wrote:Because playing lottery is fun, especially when you are betting 200K.


And some of us are (over)confident we can be in the top 5-10% of our classes, with awesome grades in law school, thus enabling us to pay back massive amounts of student loans.


I was outraged by the way milosevic's trial was handled. I feel that the prosecutors really messed up, and want to make sure no war criminal is ever allowed to escape justice via "natural causes."

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: Why Are You Applying? Should We Be Honest?

Postby romothesavior » Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:26 pm

I hate double posts, but you are dodgin' me man. Give me an answer.

Again, I am waiting to hear how:

1) The "vast majority" of your T14 class does not have a real job. Unless your definition of a real job is Wachtell or bust, this seems to fly in the face of... umm... reality.

2) The fact that most of your biglaw associate buddies will be out of biglaw in <6 years is big news. That's how big law works.

I actually applaud some of you for your scambusting work. But don't bash law schools for exaggerating statistics when you exaggerate just as badly on the other end and fail to cite any sort of evidence when you do so.

User avatar
NoleinNY
Posts: 1031
Joined: Mon Sep 14, 2009 4:58 pm

Re: Why Are You Applying? Should We Be Honest?

Postby NoleinNY » Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:47 pm

Merr wrote:Because it is one of the best ways to do real estate related work without being an active RE agent...Believe it or not OP, RE law is much less feast or famine then the bulk of RE agency work.


1+

Family are in real estate and that's fairly accurate depending on the market, sadly.

OP, I applied because apprenticeships have fallen out of vogue.

FirstTierToilet
Posts: 29
Joined: Mon Jun 21, 2010 4:56 pm

Re: Why Are You Applying? Should We Be Honest?

Postby FirstTierToilet » Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:53 pm

romothesavior wrote:I hate double posts, but you are dodgin' me man. Give me an answer.

Again, I am waiting to hear how:

1) The "vast majority" of your T14 class does not have a real job. Unless your definition of a real job is Wachtell or bust, this seems to fly in the face of... umm... reality.

2) The fact that most of your biglaw associate buddies will be out of biglaw in <6 years is big news. That's how big law works.

I actually applaud some of you for your scambusting work. But don't bash law schools for exaggerating statistics when you exaggerate just as badly on the other end and fail to cite any sort of evidence when you do so.


This will probably be my post here. The mods deleted my blog link on my posts but you can find it on my profile.

1) No, that's not my definition. Those of us who wanted to work for the government, a nonprofit, or a regional midlaw firm were affected by the problems in BigLaw because the hiring field for BigLaw became smaller. I refuse to believe that you are misunderstanding what I am saying. Instead you prefer to respond to me with acerbic silliness to prove yourself. A substantial portion of the student body had neither intention nor desire to work for Wachtell or any other BigLaw firms. This does not exonerate the schools' employment statistic creativity because even those students depend on those figures to the extent that they use it as a gauge for chances of employment in less lucrative fields.

2) I am happy that you understand how BigLaw operates. I wrote that for those that did not. We should not forget those associates who were brutally laid off or weeded out at many of these firms. They have lives and stories to tell. It is not particularly easy for them.

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: Why Are You Applying? Should We Be Honest?

Postby romothesavior » Mon Jun 21, 2010 11:26 pm

I can see why you are unemployed. Neither of your responses (especially the first) even attempt to address my points.

ITT: FTT makes false and absurd claims in his blog. Romo calls him on them. FTT uses words like "acerbic" to try to confuse Romo. Romo is not impressed.

Image

User avatar
Alpine
Posts: 34
Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2009 11:31 am

Re: Why Are You Applying? Should We Be Honest?

Postby Alpine » Mon Jun 21, 2010 11:29 pm

romothesavior wrote:ITT: FTT makes false and absurd claims in his blog. Romo calls him on them. FTT uses words like "acerbic" to try to confuse Romo. Romo is not impressed.


Probably a recent dictionary.com word of the day.

User avatar
APHill
Posts: 230
Joined: Sat Mar 20, 2010 11:22 am

Re: Why Are You Applying? Should We Be Honest?

Postby APHill » Mon Jun 21, 2010 11:50 pm

romothesavior wrote:I can see why you are unemployed. Neither of your responses (especially the first) even attempt to address my points.

ITT: FTT makes false and absurd claims in his blog. Romo calls him on them. FTT uses words like "acerbic" to try to confuse Romo. Romo is not impressed.

Image


Care to specify which claims are absurd? Did not see any particularly false claims there. Romo, be real - this guy attends a law school. He does not have any motive to mislead you, just a philanthropic urge to warn you of a possible danger. On the other hand, law schools do have a motive to mislead you. However, you believe law school stats over this scamblogger...

A smart picture with a cool phrase typed over it - is there a better argument? I do not think so....... That is childish at best and highlights your obvious immaturity. Well, dont worry, in about four years you are likely to be getting mature real fast...

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18415
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: Why Are You Applying? Should We Be Honest?

Postby bk1 » Tue Jun 22, 2010 1:07 am

APHill wrote:Romo, be real - this guy attends a law school. He does not have any motive to mislead you, just a philanthropic urge to warn you of a possible danger.


He has no motive to be philanthropic either.

User avatar
rman1201
Posts: 959
Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:11 pm

Re: Why Are You Applying? Should We Be Honest?

Postby rman1201 » Tue Jun 22, 2010 1:18 am

APHill wrote:
romothesavior wrote:I can see why you are unemployed. Neither of your responses (especially the first) even attempt to address my points.

ITT: FTT makes false and absurd claims in his blog. Romo calls him on them. FTT uses words like "acerbic" to try to confuse Romo. Romo is not impressed.

Image


Care to specify which claims are absurd? Did not see any particularly false claims there. Romo, be real - this guy attends a law school. He does not have any motive to mislead you, just a philanthropic urge to warn you of a possible danger. On the other hand, law schools do have a motive to mislead you. However, you believe law school stats over this scamblogger...

A smart picture with a cool phrase typed over it - is there a better argument? I do not think so....... That is childish at best and highlights your obvious immaturity. Well, dont worry, in about four years you are likely to be getting mature real fast...



= 4th Alt?

Fark-o-vision
Posts: 590
Joined: Sun Dec 13, 2009 6:41 pm

Re: Why Are You Applying? Should We Be Honest?

Postby Fark-o-vision » Tue Jun 22, 2010 1:20 am

APHill wrote:
romothesavior wrote:I can see why you are unemployed. Neither of your responses (especially the first) even attempt to address my points.

ITT: FTT makes false and absurd claims in his blog. Romo calls him on them. FTT uses words like "acerbic" to try to confuse Romo. Romo is not impressed.

Image


Care to specify which claims are absurd? Did not see any particularly false claims there. Romo, be real - this guy attends a law school. He does not have any motive to mislead you, just a philanthropic urge to warn you of a possible danger. On the other hand, law schools do have a motive to mislead you. However, you believe law school stats over this scamblogger...

A smart picture with a cool phrase typed over it - is there a better argument? I do not think so....... That is childish at best and highlights your obvious immaturity. Well, dont worry, in about four years you are likely to be getting mature real fast...


The claim that the vast majority of his peers were unemployed. Also, that picture mad me shoot milk out of my nose for the first time in a long time. And I haven't even had a drink of milk in close to a decade.

Edit: By peers, Romo is referring to t10 students, not all law students. I think, at least.
Last edited by Fark-o-vision on Tue Jun 22, 2010 1:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: Why Are You Applying? Should We Be Honest?

Postby romothesavior » Tue Jun 22, 2010 1:21 am

APHill wrote:
Care to specify which claims are absurd? Did not see any particularly false claims there. Romo, be real - this guy attends a law school. He does not have any motive to mislead you, just a philanthropic urge to warn you of a possible danger. On the other hand, law schools do have a motive to mislead you. However, you believe law school stats over this scamblogger...

A smart picture with a cool phrase typed over it - is there a better argument? I do not think so....... That is childish at best and highlights your obvious immaturity. Well, dont worry, in about four years you are likely to be getting mature real fast...


1. RC fail. I said I don't believe law school stats. See: top of this page.
2. It would be impossible to take law school stats over his becausehe didn't provide any.
3. A picture speaks a thousand words. There are no better arguments.
4.
.
.
.
--ImageRemoved--

User avatar
Grizz
Posts: 10583
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: Why Are You Applying? Should We Be Honest?

Postby Grizz » Tue Jun 22, 2010 1:24 am

Romo, funniest shit I've seen on TLS all day.

User avatar
Grizz
Posts: 10583
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: Why Are You Applying? Should We Be Honest?

Postby Grizz » Tue Jun 22, 2010 1:32 am

FirstTierToilet wrote:I'm curious as to why you are all applying to law school. I have recently been analyzing the reasons for which students decide to attend graduate school, and law school in particular. Could you help me?

I have written about this on my blog (see my profile) and hope that I can supplement my understanding with your experiences.


Because my childhood dream was crushed when I heard you had to do gay porn to break into straight porn.

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: Why Are You Applying? Should We Be Honest?

Postby romothesavior » Tue Jun 22, 2010 1:35 am

rad law wrote:
FirstTierToilet wrote:I'm curious as to why you are all applying to law school. I have recently been analyzing the reasons for which students decide to attend graduate school, and law school in particular. Could you help me?

I have written about this on my blog (see my profile) and hope that I can supplement my understanding with your experiences.


Because my childhood dream was crushed when I heard you had to do gay porn to break into straight porn.


180. We are both on a roll today.

User avatar
Grizz
Posts: 10583
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: Why Are You Applying? Should We Be Honest?

Postby Grizz » Tue Jun 22, 2010 1:42 am

romothesavior wrote:We are both on a roll today.


It has been a good TLS day. Gotta pass out before work. Hold down the fort.

User avatar
APHill
Posts: 230
Joined: Sat Mar 20, 2010 11:22 am

Re: Why Are You Applying? Should We Be Honest?

Postby APHill » Tue Jun 22, 2010 9:43 am

Romo,

Lol I have not read every word you typed, I do not have time for that. But your point is that there are plenty of jobs out there for top law school grads.

You say to FTT - no, there are. You may not be directly relying on law schools stats (not specific ones, but general statistical opinion that jobs are more or less plentiful), but in the end you have been made believe in that state of affairs by people and organizations that are interested in your money and the money of other law school students.

I think it is just sad that you slam down on somebody who out of law student camaraderie is here to try to help you.

A picture does speak a thousand words, but none of them are favorable to you... I hope meme generator is a great tool that will help you win some court cases, lol.

It is funny that even TTTT students stand up and tell FTT to go and do something with himself, lol. The unfortunate truth is that after unsuccessful 2L OCI best efforts might fail.

It is understood that FTT is trying to get all of you out of the law school high (your family and friends are highly respecting you, you are excited to get on the road to greater respect and big bucks, you know you are smarter than the rest of your class), and a knee jerk reaction to anyone who tries to pull you out of that high is rejection. It is not an easy thing to do right now. The hope is that you at least remember his words and maybe even act on them when more evidence of the scam and your own poor destiny will pop up.

This way when you are three years out of ls and making 35K a year on Manhatten, you wont have to explain to your mom what went wrong.
Last edited by APHill on Tue Jun 22, 2010 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider], BrainsyK, Google [Bot] and 9 guests