Old(ish) LOR? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
OrdinarilySkilled

Bronze

Old(ish) LOR?

Post by OrdinarilySkilled » Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:23 am

Wondering if anyone has any insight on this situation...

I applied to LS 3 years ago (as an UG senior), with my 3 LOR coming from my thesis advisor, a professor, and my final internship boss. I took a job instead of going to LS. I've decided to apply again this cycle, so will having older LOR have any effect? I know they are still valid as far as LSAC is concerned, but I don't want it to seem like nobody has anything good to say about my last 2 yrs. Should I get new LOR or just stick with the ones I have?

romothesavior

Diamond

Re: Old(ish) LOR?

Post by romothesavior » Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:25 am

OrdinarilySkilled wrote:Wondering if anyone has any insight on this situation...

I applied to LS 3 years ago (as an UG senior), with my 3 LOR coming from my thesis advisor, a professor, and my final internship boss. I took a job instead of going to LS. I've decided to apply again this cycle, so will having older LOR have any effect? I know they are still valid as far as LSAC is concerned, but I don't want it to seem like nobody has anything good to say about my last 2 yrs. Should I get new LOR or just stick with the ones I have?
How about both? I think having an academic LOR is a definite plus. You want to diversify your LORs to give schools a better, more complete picture of you. Definitely get an employment-related one, but I'd also use that academic one as well.

balzern

Bronze

Post by balzern » Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:27 am

I had a similar question. I have a LOR from an internship advisor that I had in Germany. Should I use this along with my 2 academic LORs?

OrdinarilySkilled

Bronze

Post by OrdinarilySkilled » Mon Jun 21, 2010 7:29 pm

Thanks, I guess I could clarify that I think all of the letters from UG will most likely be better than any one I can get now, so my question is more like - is it negative to have a file with all LOR from ~ 3 years ago. I realize this is fairly trivial but I'm bored.

flyingpanda

Silver

Post by flyingpanda » Mon Jun 21, 2010 8:18 pm

OrdinarilySkilled wrote:Thanks, I guess I could clarify that I think all of the letters from UG will most likely be better than any one I can get now, so my question is more like - is it negative to have a file with all LOR from ~ 3 years ago. I realize this is fairly trivial but I'm bored.
Won't hurt you at all.

danidancer

Silver

Post by danidancer » Mon Jun 21, 2010 8:21 pm

I graduated in 2007 and asked for my academic LORs around then. No effect on my cycle this year whatsoever so far as I can tell.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”