Anyone else going to reapply next cycle?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
MURPH

Anyone else going to reapply next cycle?

Postby MURPH » Sun Jun 20, 2010 12:51 pm

I've been knocking around the idea of reapplying next cycle. I am in at UCLA but the cost of living in LA is pretty high. I think if I save up some more money for the year, and take another stab at scholarships I might be able to get into a better school with a better financial situation. I got a wife and two small kids, two older ones are in college too, so money is tight.

I spoke to the deans and adcoms at the schools that waitlisted me (Penn, NU, UVA, G-town, Duke, WUSTL, Cornell). All of them agreed that I will have a better shot if I apply earlier. Most said I was lucky to be waitlisted with my low GPA (from 1997). I applied in December. My numbers are not going to improve (2.98, 175), my LORs are going to be the same, my PS will be different but not 'better' in any meaningful way. My only advantage in admissions is the earlier submission. Being able to save some more money for a year will be beneficial to me.

Anyway I'd like to hear from anyone else who is thinking about taking a second stab at this.

dominkay

Re: Anyone else going to reapply next cycle?

Postby dominkay » Sun Jun 20, 2010 1:08 pm

MURPH wrote:I've been knocking around the idea of reapplying next cycle. I am in at UCLA but the cost of living in LA is pretty high. I think if I save up some more money for the year, and take another stab at scholarships I might be able to get into a better school with a better financial situation. I got a wife and two small kids, two older ones are in college too, so money is tight.

I spoke to the deans and adcoms at the schools that waitlisted me (Penn, NU, UVA, G-town, Duke, WUSTL, Cornell). All of them agreed that I will have a better shot if I apply earlier. Most said I was lucky to be waitlisted with my low GPA (from 1997). I applied in December. My numbers are not going to improve (2.98, 175), my LORs are going to be the same, my PS will be different but not 'better' in any meaningful way. My only advantage in admissions is the earlier submission. Being able to save some more money for a year will be beneficial to me.

Anyway I'd like to hear from anyone else who is thinking about taking a second stab at this.

Do you think the money you could save and the scholarships you might get are greater than the amount of money you would earn in one year of being a lawyer? Then reapply.

My thought is that you're way past your 20's, and you need make every year count. UCLA is a great school, and in your shoes, I would probably just go there. If you do reapply, I would say target Northwestern (although Chicago's not cheap, either).

Ragged

Postby Ragged » Sun Jun 20, 2010 1:28 pm

In the same boat. In no hurry to begin law school, going to up my LSAT, apply early and hope for the better days.

danidancer

Postby danidancer » Sun Jun 20, 2010 1:36 pm

MURPH wrote:Most said I was lucky to be waitlisted with my low GPA

I think that's your answer. Your numbers aren't going to change, and the boost from applying early is marginal at best (just look at Cornell's EA debacle this year for proof of that). Ride the WLs and see what happens, but UCLA is a great school and will give you great options.

MURPH

Postby MURPH » Sun Jun 20, 2010 2:32 pm

I'm going to ride out the remaining waitlists either way. That is a good point about what I could make as a lawyer vs what I could save. I make a lot now as a registered nurse. That is part of what might be making me panic a bit, the thought of losing my income for three years. That won't go away with another year off but I will be better prepared for it.

MURPH

Postby MURPH » Sun Jun 20, 2010 4:47 pm

Ragged wrote:In the same boat. In no hurry to begin law school, going to up my LSAT, apply early and hope for the better days.

Even 3 points will put you in a whole new set of schools and in a new scholarship bracket. I can't think of a better reason to wait a year than to retake the LSAT> I took it in Dec 08 and retook in Sept 09. I wasn't ready to go to law school in 09 anyway but going from a 170 to 175 probably got me on the waitlists where I linger and into UCLA.

goawaybee

Postby goawaybee » Sun Jun 20, 2010 5:03 pm

Yeah that is a tough loop to get into MURPH.

I often debate the starting a year earlier results in earning more a year earlier. really tough to navigate, I assume you have the ability to pack up and relo with fam. so that is positive. I just was tearing through list of top 14 and analyzing the schools, Cost of living, tuition and quality of life issues. I think with more time you can really begin to narrow down the list to where you would actually be somewhat happy for 3 years. All depends on where you are at now, how much you can save, where you would enjoy spending 3 years and where you would like to practice/live/work afterwards.

Could write a book on the topic. i think people often overlook the long term impact of these decisions. Mental/physical health, long term financial plans (beyond principal loan amounts), etc...

I will hit you on PM

Postby 09042014 » Sun Jun 20, 2010 5:09 pm

MURPH wrote:I've been knocking around the idea of reapplying next cycle. I am in at UCLA but the cost of living in LA is pretty high. I think if I save up some more money for the year, and take another stab at scholarships I might be able to get into a better school with a better financial situation. I got a wife and two small kids, two older ones are in college too, so money is tight.

Would you rather attend Northwestern or UVA? Pick one and apply ED.

I'd bet a lot of money NU will take you.

MURPH

Postby MURPH » Sun Jun 20, 2010 6:48 pm

The dean at UVA pretty much said I would get in with no scholarship if I applied ED. I think it is the same at NU or Cornell. Penn perhaps. Some of the others might give me money but UVA was clear that I would not be offered a scholarship in ordinary circumstances. I don't know if I could commit to anywhere without money though.

xyzzzzzzzz

Postby xyzzzzzzzz » Sun Jun 20, 2010 6:52 pm

Last edited by xyzzzzzzzz on Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby 09042014 » Sun Jun 20, 2010 6:54 pm

MURPH wrote:The dean at UVA pretty much said I would get in with no scholarship if I applied ED. I think it is the same at NU or Cornell. Penn perhaps. Some of the others might give me money but UVA was clear that I would not be offered a scholarship in ordinary circumstances. I don't know if I could commit to anywhere without money though.

Then you are aiming too high. You only get scholarships for schools you are overqualified for. Your GPA is TTT.

Look at UIUC, Minnesota, WUSTL, WL, SMU, Iowa, and Indiana.

dominkay

Postby dominkay » Sun Jun 20, 2010 6:55 pm

MURPH wrote:The dean at UVA pretty much said I would get in with no scholarship if I applied ED. I think it is the same at NU or Cornell. Penn perhaps. Some of the others might give me money but UVA was clear that I would not be offered a scholarship in ordinary circumstances. I don't know if I could commit to anywhere without money though.

I'm pretty sure that if you want money, then you need to apply to lower ranked schools. I think that GPA excludes you from scholarships in the T14. Maybe WUSTL will give you something, but frankly I think you should just go to Northwestern.

Luis Gomez

Postby Luis Gomez » Sun Jun 20, 2010 6:58 pm

I always wanted to give the LSAT another try; however, I am pretty happy with the school I got into and with the $ they gave me. Otherwise, I would bust my ass studying for the LSAT.

Knock

Postby Knock » Sun Jun 20, 2010 7:00 pm

This is just my opinion, but there are worse things that living in Southern California and attending UCLA for 3 years. You have beautiful weather, beach trips, even trips to the snow in driving distance. Pretty high quality of life for yourself, your wife, and your kids.

im_blue

Postby im_blue » Sun Jun 20, 2010 7:16 pm

With your GPA, you're certainly not going to get money from a T14. As mentioned before, UCLA is a fine school with great quality of life.

flyingpanda

Postby flyingpanda » Sun Jun 20, 2010 7:18 pm

Desert Fox wrote:

Then you are aiming too high. You only get scholarships for schools you are overqualified for. Your GPA is TTT.

Look at UIUC, Minnesota, WUSTL, WL, SMU, Iowa, and Indiana.

Maybe UGA too

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”