BigLaw Associate (T-14, LSAT Instructor) Taking Questions

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
PwnLaw
Posts: 198
Joined: Sun May 30, 2010 7:07 pm

Re: BigLaw Associate (T-14, LSAT Instructor) Taking Questions

Postby PwnLaw » Sun Jun 20, 2010 12:58 am

waldodanto wrote:
PwnLaw wrote:I like this analysis.


I'm putting this in my next email to you. Yeah, I'm the annoying UCLA kid who emails you all the time. I swear I don't come to this site that much, but I always seem to be here on the nights you are bored, soliciting questions. Now give that poor kid some LSAT tips :wink:


Haha, sup man. I'm just trying to keep up with the thread between Fifa 2010 games.

LSAT question will take some thought, but if he's at a 165 cold then he should be fine with exposure to the test over a prolonged period. He already innately grasps a lot of the basic tricks. I used to develop very specific study plans based off of diagnostic analysis and score ranges, but that takes a lot of time and effort.

If I were him I'd split up everything into question types and then spend about a month going each type until he recognizes all of the patterns. I found that to be the most effective way of learning early on. Just doing preptests really undermines the pattern recognition process.

PwnLaw
Posts: 198
Joined: Sun May 30, 2010 7:07 pm

Re: BigLaw Associate (T-14, LSAT Instructor) Taking Questions

Postby PwnLaw » Sun Jun 20, 2010 1:02 am

I think physical distribution will be a meaningful vertical for a while. Digital distribution relies on people having access to high quality distribution feeds directly to their TV and there just aren't that many people with that capacity currently. Of course, streaming HD is going to be an issue sooner or later, but the other guy correctly points out that there are a lot of questions relating to net neutrality that need to be resolved before I'll come out and say digital distribution is going to destroy the physical market.

mz253
Posts: 319
Joined: Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:18 pm

Re: BigLaw Associate (T-14, LSAT Instructor) Taking Questions

Postby mz253 » Sun Jun 20, 2010 1:07 am

if i just want to get into a firm with a focus on international business... what schools outside T14 are good? i have no regional preference. Anywhere in the U.S. or Asia would be good.

PwnLaw
Posts: 198
Joined: Sun May 30, 2010 7:07 pm

Re: BigLaw Associate (T-14, LSAT Instructor) Taking Questions

Postby PwnLaw » Sun Jun 20, 2010 1:10 am

mz253 wrote:if i just want to get into a firm with a focus on international business... what schools outside T14 are good? i have no regional preference. Anywhere in the U.S. or Asia would be good.


To be honest? Most firms with a focus on international business (other than immigration firms) are going to mine the T-14 in particular. A particular school's program isn't going to have much of an impact on hiring for things like that unless they have very strong alumni interaction in that particular field.

mz253
Posts: 319
Joined: Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:18 pm

Re: BigLaw Associate (T-14, LSAT Instructor) Taking Questions

Postby mz253 » Sun Jun 20, 2010 1:20 am

PwnLaw wrote:
mz253 wrote:if i just want to get into a firm with a focus on international business... what schools outside T14 are good? i have no regional preference. Anywhere in the U.S. or Asia would be good.


To be honest? Most firms with a focus on international business (other than immigration firms) are going to mine the T-14 in particular. A particular school's program isn't going to have much of an impact on hiring for things like that unless they have very strong alumni interaction in that particular field.


so is it pretty much that i should forget about if i end up schools like UCLA or william and mary?

PwnLaw
Posts: 198
Joined: Sun May 30, 2010 7:07 pm

Re: BigLaw Associate (T-14, LSAT Instructor) Taking Questions

Postby PwnLaw » Sun Jun 20, 2010 1:32 am

mz253 wrote:
PwnLaw wrote:
mz253 wrote:if i just want to get into a firm with a focus on international business... what schools outside T14 are good? i have no regional preference. Anywhere in the U.S. or Asia would be good.


To be honest? Most firms with a focus on international business (other than immigration firms) are going to mine the T-14 in particular. A particular school's program isn't going to have much of an impact on hiring for things like that unless they have very strong alumni interaction in that particular field.


so is it pretty much that i should forget about if i end up schools like UCLA or william and mary?


Naa, UCLA, USC and George Washington wouldn't be the end of the world. It's just that your odds aren't great unless you're at a school that will carry well in NYC.

mz253
Posts: 319
Joined: Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:18 pm

Re: BigLaw Associate (T-14, LSAT Instructor) Taking Questions

Postby mz253 » Sun Jun 20, 2010 1:45 am

PwnLaw wrote:
mz253 wrote:
PwnLaw wrote:
mz253 wrote:if i just want to get into a firm with a focus on international business... what schools outside T14 are good? i have no regional preference. Anywhere in the U.S. or Asia would be good.


To be honest? Most firms with a focus on international business (other than immigration firms) are going to mine the T-14 in particular. A particular school's program isn't going to have much of an impact on hiring for things like that unless they have very strong alumni interaction in that particular field.


so is it pretty much that i should forget about if i end up schools like UCLA or william and mary?


Naa, UCLA, USC and George Washington wouldn't be the end of the world. It's just that your odds aren't great unless you're at a school that will carry well in NYC.


how about if i want to work in HK or S.F. or L.A. or D.C. but just not NYC? i don't think i'm the type of person that wants to work in NYC anyways. will regional schools be good in those cases? say like UC Hastings?

User avatar
waldodanto
Posts: 80
Joined: Sun Nov 16, 2008 6:07 pm

Re: BigLaw Associate (T-14, LSAT Instructor) Taking Questions

Postby waldodanto » Sun Jun 20, 2010 11:48 am

PKSebben wrote:Sony is also looking for significant short-term movement on LCDs which must be driven largely by 3D. 60% increase on LCDs this year is quite ambitious. Some solid analysis of Sony's fiscal year earnings at the always fantastic Dubious Quality blog.

http://dubiousquality.blogspot.com/2010 ... erent.html
http://dubiousquality.blogspot.com/2010 ... sonys.html

Sorry to hijack your thread but the video game talk is my siren song.


I know this thread got derailed a bit, but the Dubious Quality blog is excellent! I think the analysis of the projected sales growth in each area is a bit useless though... without knowing the profit margin on the average sale of each piece, it's a little hopeless to try and guess about the strength of the company based just on percentage gains/losses in each piece. For example, I know that Sony was originally selling the ps3 at a sizable loss (as every game company does with their hardware), but usually that becomes less of an issue deeper into a console's life when the technology becomes cheaper. So that flat software number might not actually be so bad if Sony is producing the ps3 at a lower price than they used to.

User avatar
tru
Posts: 421
Joined: Fri Apr 02, 2010 3:40 pm

Re: BigLaw Associate (T-14, LSAT Instructor) Taking Questions

Postby tru » Tue Jun 22, 2010 3:28 am

.
Last edited by tru on Fri May 20, 2016 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
TheTopBloke
Posts: 486
Joined: Sat Jun 13, 2009 7:29 pm

Re: BigLaw Associate (T-14, LSAT Instructor) Taking Questions

Postby TheTopBloke » Tue Jun 22, 2010 3:35 am

PwnLaw wrote:
Lolschool wrote:average weekly schedule?


I would say I do work related activities about 60 hours a week. I've spiked up to 130 hours in a week. I'd say I normally bill between 40 and 50 hours a week. It's all highly variable though. A lot will depend on your practice group and the people you work with in that group.


130/7 = 18.57 hrs per day leaving 5.43 hrs to shit shave shower and sleep. Helluva lifestyle. How can your bosses allow you to do this? What morons! Either that or your full of shit.

User avatar
goawaybee
Posts: 114
Joined: Sun May 16, 2010 11:20 pm

Re: BigLaw Associate (T-14, LSAT Instructor) Taking Questions

Postby goawaybee » Tue Jun 22, 2010 10:29 am

TheTopBloke wrote:130/7 = 18.57 hrs per day leaving 5.43 hrs to shit shave shower and sleep. Helluva lifestyle. How can your bosses allow you to do this? What morons! Either that or your full of shit.


I would bet coin on 130 being real. I have blown out 100-110 hrs weeks for 0 dollars. May not be the norm but if humans are willing to do it for free I am most certain it can and will be done for pay.

PwnLaw wrote:
If I were him I'd split up everything into question types and then spend about a month going each type until he recognizes all of the patterns. I found that to be the most effective way of learning early on. Just doing preptests really undermines the pattern recognition process.


Thanks for this. I was attempting to explain the importance of the pattern recognition process to a buddy who is trying to map out his study plan. I feel it is a crucial part if you want to make studying ass painless as possible.


Q:

Was wondering if you were dead set on entering Big Law before you began LS or if you made that decision in 2L/3L ? Trying to get some basic input as far as trends go, after people begin to notice their own strengths/weaknesses after a few years of LS if their goals/career path develops after becoming more educated and hopefully more self aware.

User avatar
T14_Scholly
Posts: 416
Joined: Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:46 pm

Re: BigLaw Associate (T-14, LSAT Instructor) Taking Questions

Postby T14_Scholly » Tue Jun 22, 2010 11:06 am

TheTopBloke wrote:How can your bosses allow you to do this? What morons!


You'd have to wonder.

thepaintrain
Posts: 40
Joined: Tue Jun 22, 2010 11:21 am

Re: BigLaw Associate (T-14, LSAT Instructor) Taking Questions

Postby thepaintrain » Tue Jun 22, 2010 11:31 am

So I've been accepted at Loyola LA and want to go into either Sports or Entertainment Law. I'm not getting in to any T14's but I am waitlisted at Cardozo and I think I've got a good shot. If I want to do this in LA am I better off going to Loyola or the higher ranked Cardozo? Thanks for our input!

User avatar
nealric
Posts: 2395
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2009 9:53 am

Re: BigLaw Associate (T-14, LSAT Instructor) Taking Questions

Postby nealric » Tue Jun 22, 2010 1:32 pm

So I've been accepted at Loyola LA and want to go into either Sports or Entertainment Law. I'm not getting in to any T14's but I am waitlisted at Cardozo and I think I've got a good shot. If I want to do this in LA am I better off going to Loyola or the higher ranked Cardozo? Thanks for our input!


An analogy:

I'm planning on racing in the Indy 500. I have a ford pinto and a 68 VW bettle. Which one should I drive?


That said, don't go to Cardozo. It's not any better, and is in an even more saturated market.

User avatar
TCScrutinizer
Posts: 497
Joined: Sun Sep 13, 2009 11:01 pm

Re: BigLaw Associate (T-14, LSAT Instructor) Taking Questions

Postby TCScrutinizer » Tue Jun 22, 2010 1:42 pm

TheTopBloke wrote:
PwnLaw wrote:
Lolschool wrote:average weekly schedule?


I would say I do work related activities about 60 hours a week. I've spiked up to 130 hours in a week. I'd say I normally bill between 40 and 50 hours a week. It's all highly variable though. A lot will depend on your practice group and the people you work with in that group.


130/7 = 18.57 hrs per day leaving 5.43 hrs to shit shave shower and sleep. Helluva lifestyle. How can your bosses allow you to do this? What morons! Either that or your full of shit.


Either that or he has no clue how to organize work efficiently and will flame out within the next two years.

User avatar
MC Southstar
Posts: 1238
Joined: Sat Sep 26, 2009 3:27 pm

Re: BigLaw Associate (T-14, LSAT Instructor) Taking Questions

Postby MC Southstar » Tue Jun 22, 2010 1:45 pm

Do you hate your life?

User avatar
T14_Scholly
Posts: 416
Joined: Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:46 pm

Re: BigLaw Associate (T-14, LSAT Instructor) Taking Questions

Postby T14_Scholly » Tue Jun 22, 2010 7:04 pm

TCScrutinizer wrote:
TheTopBloke wrote:
PwnLaw wrote:
Lolschool wrote:average weekly schedule?


I would say I do work related activities about 60 hours a week. I've spiked up to 130 hours in a week. I'd say I normally bill between 40 and 50 hours a week. It's all highly variable though. A lot will depend on your practice group and the people you work with in that group.


130/7 = 18.57 hrs per day leaving 5.43 hrs to shit shave shower and sleep. Helluva lifestyle. How can your bosses allow you to do this? What morons! Either that or your full of shit.


Either that or he has no clue how to organize work efficiently and will flame out within the next two years.


It's his fault that he's worked 130 hours in a week? Sounds like you want biglaw and want to believe that the hours aren't that bad.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: bellaboo, Lawl_Schoolz, mjb447, WamBamThankYouMaam and 6 guests