Indifference Abounds?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
gwuorbust

Gold

Indifference Abounds?

Postby gwuorbust » Sat Jun 19, 2010 1:22 pm

So I will be attending LS in the Fall and I expect over the three years to borrow about 105k. Now, I have been going out with my friends and what not and every time I do where they are worried about spending 20 on a meal all I can think about is that 100k.. which make me not really care about spending the money at all cause it seems like a drop in the bucket compared to my future debt chains. anyone else feel the same way or do most ppl feel like clamping down on spending ?

Geat27

New

Re: Indifference Abounds?

Postby Geat27 » Sun Jun 20, 2010 11:11 pm

Spending $20 on meals and spending liberally on other things you want quickly adds up... to thousands of dollars a year, and tens of thousands over several years. And then you are talking about sums of money that are on the same scale as your potential law school debt.

xyzzzzzzzz

Bronze

Postby xyzzzzzzzz » Sun Jun 20, 2010 11:48 pm

Last edited by xyzzzzzzzz on Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cupidity

Gold

Postby Cupidity » Sun Jun 20, 2010 11:54 pm

Dude, story of my life.

I just ordered a $23 dollar beer at a bar. My friend was like, WTF ARE YOU DRUNK, and I go--no, I'm in 120k of debt and down it.

In 10 years I'll either be rich as shit and out of debt, or living under an assumed name in a country without extradition laws to the US.

Mroberts3

Bronze

Postby Mroberts3 » Sun Jun 20, 2010 11:59 pm

I'm generally a very frugal person and I still feel exactly what you are describing. It hit me more while working (vs spending) during my year off. I kept asking myself why I was working for $X/hour when it wasn't going to make a dent in my after school debt.

To stay motivated I focused on the things that really do make a bigger impact. Right now I'm spending a lot of time looking for a good place to live without spending too much. Think about how an extra $200 a month in rent ends up being $7,200 over 3 years. The other thing I have done is started to track my monthly livings costs more accurately. My goal is to get in the habit of living comfortably off of what I have allotted for living expenses for law school.

momo_08

New

Postby momo_08 » Mon Jun 21, 2010 12:04 am

I'm kind of where you are too...except I go on shopping trips instead. I'm planning on going cold turkey with the shopping just to make sure my loans cover everything necessary.
I think the best thing to do though with food is make a budget for dinners out etc. and just try to be as cheap as possible. You can try eating/drinking before you go out so you're not starving by the time you go out. Bottom line basically try to be as cheap as possible :)

PDaddy

Gold

Postby PDaddy » Mon Jun 21, 2010 12:16 am

gwuorbust wrote:So I will be attending LS in the Fall and I expect over the three years to borrow about 105k. Now, I have been going out with my friends and what not and every time I do where they are worried about spending 20 on a meal all I can think about is that 100k.. which make me not really care about spending the money at all cause it seems like a drop in the bucket compared to my future debt chains. anyone else feel the same way or do most ppl feel like clamping down on spending ?

As the saying goes, you have one of two choices:

1) Live like a lawyer while in law school, and wind up living like a law student when you get out, or

2) Live like a law student while in law school, and live like a lawyer when you actually become one.

Option two looks a lot better.

blsingindisguise

Silver

Postby blsingindisguise » Mon Jun 21, 2010 12:22 am

Cupidity wrote:Dude, story of my life.

I just ordered a $23 dollar beer at a bar. My friend was like, WTF ARE YOU DRUNK, and I go--no, I'm in 120k of debt and down it.

In 10 years I'll either be rich as shit and out of debt, or living under an assumed name in a country without extradition laws to the US.

"I'm already serving a five-year sentence, so what difference is it going to make if I punch the guard in the face?"

Cupidity

Gold

Postby Cupidity » Mon Jun 21, 2010 12:23 am

blsingindisguise wrote:

"I'm already serving a five-year sentence, so what difference is it going to make if I punch the guard in the face?"

Muthafucka shouldn't a looked at me cross then. He asked for it.

MTal

Silver

Postby MTal » Mon Jun 21, 2010 12:25 am

PDaddy wrote:
2) Live like a law student while in law school, and live like a lawyer when you actually become one.

The vast majority of lawyers start out making way south of 50k. Either way, you're fucked.

Scallywaggums

Bronze

Postby Scallywaggums » Mon Jun 21, 2010 12:27 am

OP and Cupidity outed as never having supported self.

dominkay

Bronze

Postby dominkay » Mon Jun 21, 2010 12:36 am

I can definitely sympathize with that feeling. Try not to give into it, though. More debt is more debt. The people I know who lived it up in law school (taking vacations on their loans, etc) are definitely regretting it, especially ITE.

Cupidity

Gold

Postby Cupidity » Mon Jun 21, 2010 12:39 am

Scallywaggums wrote:OP and Cupidity outed as never having supported self.

Cupidity has been living on own working for $8 an hour since he was 18. I'm going to law school because I'm tired of making pizza.

Scallywaggums

Bronze

Postby Scallywaggums » Mon Jun 21, 2010 12:41 am

^ Scallywaggums outed as being dead wrong.
::Revision::
Cupidity outed as having subpar long-term judgment.

gwuorbust

Gold

Postby gwuorbust » Mon Jun 21, 2010 12:43 am

MTal wrote:
PDaddy wrote:

The vast majority of lawyers start out making way south of 50k. Either way, you're fucked.

like the vast majority of other law students I plan on making way more then 50k

romothesavior

Diamond

Postby romothesavior » Mon Jun 21, 2010 1:06 am

Where did you find a $23 beer?

Mroberts3

Bronze

Postby Mroberts3 » Thu Jun 24, 2010 8:53 pm

romothesavior wrote:

Where did you find a $23 beer?

I think this is the more interesting part of this thread. I assume it has to be somewhere in NY or LA...

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum�