Who should write your LOR?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
LogicalBaozi

Who should write your LOR?

Postby LogicalBaozi » Sat Jun 19, 2010 11:05 am

I have run into a small hitch: The professors I know well and who know and love me are all professors from my major, econ.

Unfortunately, they all think that I should go for an econ PhD and not go to Law School. Convincing them to write an LOR for law school will be a Herculean feat. Should I find other professors, who I do not know as well, from other courses I have taken to write my letters, or stick with the ones who know me but might secretly hope I get rejected from law school and must fall back on going to econ grad school?

D. H2Oman

Re: Who should write your LOR?

Postby D. H2Oman » Sat Jun 19, 2010 11:11 am

LogicalBaozi wrote:I have run into a small hitch: The professors I know well and who know and love me are all professors from my major, econ.

Unfortunately, they all think that I should go for an econ PhD and not go to Law School. Convincing them to write an LOR for law school will be a Herculean feat. Should I find other professors, who I do not know as well, from other courses I have taken to write my letters, or stick with the ones who know me but might secretly hope I get rejected from law school and must fall back on going to econ grad school?

No, it won't.

shutterbug

Postby shutterbug » Sat Jun 19, 2010 11:20 am

LORs should be written by professors who know your work well, but MORE importantly, those who you are absolutely certain will give you a glowing recommendation. Can you possibly talk some sense into at least one of these professors? If you can balance this with a professor in another subject, that would be worthwhile.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Sat Jun 19, 2010 11:23 am

D. H2Oman wrote:
LogicalBaozi wrote:I have run into a small hitch: The professors I know well and who know and love me are all professors from my major, econ.

No, it won't.

this should now be a thread about the Herculean feats.

dominkay

Postby dominkay » Sat Jun 19, 2010 11:36 am

If they love you, they are not going to be secretly hoping you get rejected. Explain what you want, and I am sure they will be happy to help.

kmap

Postby kmap » Sat Jun 19, 2010 12:00 pm

I had this worry when I dropped out of a PhD program in classics and decided on law school. The two profs who knew my academic work best and thought I was the next rising star in classics were obviously classics professors. They were disappointed about my decision but still agreed to write what I can only assume were glowing LOR's, because they've gotten me into some amazing schools. If they are decent people, they won't let you down. If you need to, feed them some bullshit about how you want to be a professor eventually and you're going to get your econ PhD right after law school because you want both.

LogicalBaozi

Postby LogicalBaozi » Sat Jun 19, 2010 7:15 pm

IAFG wrote:this should now be a thread about the Herculean feats.

It really should. I'm a big fan of the Hydea and Augean stables, but those two were the only two he really failed to get done properly (technicalities!), that probably doesn't say much for me as a person. Nevertheless, many times when cleaning up the bathroom after my roommates have bought sushi on sale has made me wish for a convenient river to divert.

kmap wrote:I had this worry when I dropped out of a PhD program in classics and decided on law school. The two profs who knew my academic work best and thought I was the next rising star in classics were obviously classics professors. They were disappointed about my decision but still agreed to write what I can only assume were glowing LOR's, because they've gotten me into some amazing schools. If they are decent people, they won't let you down. If you need to, feed them some bullshit about how you want to be a professor eventually and you're going to get your econ PhD right after law school because you want both.

Suppose so, and they are decent people. I still do want an Econ PhD (someday, somewhere, over the rainbow, when I can find six years to toil on it!).
It is sad to hear your story, though. Classics programs need good folks like you, 'twas a grievous loss to the field. Still, their loss is law's gain.
dominkay wrote:If they love you, they are not going to be secretly hoping you get rejected. Explain what you want, and I am sure they will be happy to help

shutterbug wrote:LORs should be written by professors who know your work well, but MORE importantly, those who you are absolutely certain will give you a glowing recommendation. Can you possibly talk some sense into at least one of these professors?

D. H2Oman wrote:No it won't

/thread, time to write emails and make some appointments to see them and talk about the future in all its uncertainty. Thanks guys!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”