How to beat yield-protect?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
dadengcrew

How to beat yield-protect?

Postby dadengcrew » Fri Jun 18, 2010 6:34 pm

Since I went to undergrad with an ROTC scholarship, I have a commitment to the Army after law school so I couldn't try to go for a firm job even if I wanted to so HYS isn't as attractive. My goal is to try to get T14 with $$$ such as UVA, Penn or Duke. However, I heard these schools will waitlist you due in the name of yield-protection if you're over both their 75th percentile?

How do you show that you're serious in wanting to go to these schools?

My numbers are 176/3.93

Moxie

Re: How to beat yield-protect?

Postby Moxie » Fri Jun 18, 2010 6:38 pm

For Duke and Penn, write supplemental "Why Duke" or "Why Penn" essays. I assume you can do the same for UVA as well, but I don't know if they put as much emphasis on them as Penn and Duke?

vespertiliovir

Postby vespertiliovir » Fri Jun 18, 2010 6:47 pm

just blanket everywhere -- some schools will yp you, but some won't. if you honestly don't care that much, just see what happens.

capitalacq

Postby capitalacq » Fri Jun 18, 2010 7:13 pm

dadengcrew wrote:Since I went to undergrad with an ROTC scholarship, I have a commitment to the Army after law school so I couldn't try to go for a firm job even if I wanted to so HYS isn't as attractive. My goal is to try to get T14 with $$$ such as UVA, Penn or Duke. However, I heard these schools will waitlist you due in the name of yield-protection if you're over both their 75th percentile?

How do you show that you're serious in wanting to go to these schools?

My numbers are 176/3.93

I don't really know how to beat it. Honestly, I think having a strong overall app beyond the numbers is the key.

In my case (with similar #'s to you), I didn't do any of the Why XYZ essays, so I don't think those really matter much in regards to YP. (however, I did make sure to briefly integrate the schools into my personal statement). I ended up getting full rides/maximum scholarships at NYU, Chicago, UVA, Penn, Duke, etc. and avoided getting YP'd at any of them.

Just make sure your whole application is strong and makes it obvious that you are a good fit for the specific school. Also, this is probably one of the few times where I'd say applying early (October) may actually matter.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”