Schools that do not actually read all your application

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
tru

Schools that do not actually read all your application

Postby tru » Fri Jun 18, 2010 1:46 pm

Last edited by tru on Fri May 20, 2016 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

D. H2Oman

Re: Schools that do not actually read all your application

Postby D. H2Oman » Fri Jun 18, 2010 1:50 pm

Let me edit the stupid out of this

Daytukrjabs wrote:When I compare my pre-TLS year application to this year's, I am quite convinced that my files from last year weren't really read.

For example, I applied with GPA/LSAT below 25th at some T1 schools last year. Result = 1 week turn around for rejections. I applied mid January, when they were most busy.

This year, after retaking the LSAT and taking a shit load of GPA booster classes before graduating, I made just about median at T14s. Result = 6 months wait before in/dings/waitlists. 4-5 months wait for acceptances at T1s.

Nothing in my file changed other than GPA/LSAT. Same PS, same addendum, same resume.

K done

BriaTharen

Postby BriaTharen » Fri Jun 18, 2010 1:51 pm

D. H2Oman wrote:Let me edit the stupid out of this

Daytukrjabs wrote:When I compare my pre-TLS year application to this year's, I am quite convinced that my files from last year weren't really read.

For example, I applied with GPA/LSAT below 25th at some T1 schools last year. Result = 1 week turn around for rejections. I applied mid January, when they were most busy.

This year, after retaking the LSAT and taking a shit load of GPA booster classes before graduating, I made just about median at T14s. Result = 6 months wait before in/dings/waitlists. 4-5 months wait for acceptances at T1s.

Nothing in my file changed other than GPA/LSAT. Same PS, same addendum, same resume.

K done

QFT

tru

Postby tru » Fri Jun 18, 2010 1:51 pm

miamiman

Postby miamiman » Fri Jun 18, 2010 1:51 pm

K done

this shtick never gets old

BriaTharen

Postby BriaTharen » Fri Jun 18, 2010 1:52 pm

Daytukrjabs wrote:Also, to think that a school will read 3000 essays of 1000 words or more is kind of ridiculous.

Not everyone reads at a 2nd grade level.

tru

Postby tru » Fri Jun 18, 2010 1:53 pm

D. H2Oman

Postby D. H2Oman » Fri Jun 18, 2010 1:58 pm

Daytukrjabs wrote:

K done

Your application is a prime example for my case. 2.7 GPA is auto TTT unless 170+ LSAT. It's not like you have some super cool PS.

Honestly, I didn't think about it like that. My PS was really good and I pretty much figured that was what did it. (it was about my two week summer trip to Kenya, I helped dig wells really changed me, now I want to go to law school to help end global poverty)

But your theory that LSAT/GPA are really all that matter is quite interesting. Someone should really look into that further.

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Fri Jun 18, 2010 1:59 pm

How does someone with a 171 LSAT exhibit such crappy logic?

Mr. Matlock

Postby Mr. Matlock » Fri Jun 18, 2010 2:00 pm

D. H2Oman wrote:
Daytukrjabs wrote:

K done

Your application is a prime example for my case. 2.7 GPA is auto TTT unless 170+ LSAT. It's not like you have some super cool PS.

Honestly, I didn't think about it like that. My PS was really good and I pretty much figured that was what did it. (it was about my two week summer trip to Kenya, I helped dig wells really changed me, now I want to go to law school to help end global poverty)

But your theory that LSAT/GPA are really all that matter is quite interesting. Someone should really look into that further.

Fucking brilliant!! :lol:

jmhendri

Postby jmhendri » Fri Jun 18, 2010 2:03 pm

D. H2Oman wrote:

haaaaaaaaaaaahahahhaa
Last edited by jmhendri on Fri Jun 18, 2010 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tru

Postby tru » Fri Jun 18, 2010 2:12 pm

Last edited by tru on Fri May 20, 2016 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Fri Jun 18, 2010 2:57 pm

Daytukrjabs wrote:
traehekat wrote:How does someone with a 171 LSAT exhibit such crappy logic?

Why do you say that? Suspecting that my files from last year weren't read based on drastic differences with this year's is hardly a logical flaw. It's not like I am making some absurd general or definite claim.

You are claiming that your files from last year weren't read based on the fact your numbers were well below median at some schools and they dinged you quickly, whereas this year your numbers were more competitive and it took longer.

Yes, you results from last cycle to this cycle changed as a direct result of your improvement in numbers. Yes, your soft factors probably played little role in your results in either cycle. But this doesn't mean you can conclude that your files were not even read the first time around. It's entirely possible (and perhaps probable) that your files were read last year to determine if there were any redeeming aspects that could make up for below median numbers, with the decision being that there was nothing there to make up for the numbers. Then you were rejected.

Did they give you a really close look? Probably not. Like I said though, you can't conclude they just didn't read your file even if there is some evidence pointing to it being possible.

tru

Postby tru » Fri Jun 18, 2010 4:05 pm

Last edited by tru on Fri May 20, 2016 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

capitalacq

Postby capitalacq » Fri Jun 18, 2010 4:41 pm

i cant believe i almost wasted my time with a serious reply

kk19131

Postby kk19131 » Fri Jun 18, 2010 4:42 pm

K done

Lord.... :lol:

schmohawk

Postby schmohawk » Fri Jun 18, 2010 6:22 pm

Daytukrjabs wrote:I didn't say they didn't read it. I did say I suspect they didn't "really" read it like they would of high scoring applicants.

:?

Cocaine is a hell of a drug.

Postby 09042014 » Fri Jun 18, 2010 6:24 pm

I'm going to say it, they probably don't read your app too hard.

A person below both 25%'s means they'd have to take two more above the median to counter act the damage.

capitalacq

Postby capitalacq » Fri Jun 18, 2010 6:30 pm

Desert Fox wrote:I'm going to say it, they probably don't read your app too hard.

A person below both 25%'s means they'd have to take two more above the median to counter act the damage.

but honestly, they shouldn't even need to read your app too hard. if you're below both 25%s, they are scanning for something really special that could add something. It doesn't require critically examining every detail of an application to find that special thing--- it should stand out immediately.

Postby 09042014 » Fri Jun 18, 2010 6:32 pm

capitalacq wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:I'm going to say it, they probably don't read your app too hard.

but honestly, they shouldn't even need to read your app too hard. if you're below both 25%s, they are scanning for something really special that could add something. It doesn't require critically examining every detail of an application to find that special thing--- it should stand out immediately.

Agreed. And it would take a massive soft, to get you in. Below both 25%'s you gotta wonder if the person will even hack it.

Eruannon

Postby Eruannon » Fri Jun 18, 2010 7:01 pm

ScaredWorkedBored

Postby ScaredWorkedBored » Sat Jun 19, 2010 2:22 pm

Desert Fox wrote:Agreed. And it would take a massive soft, to get you in.

Family has a campus building named after them, maybe.

Below both 25%'s you gotta wonder if the person will even hack it.

See Illinois scandal e-mails. 8)

icydash

Postby icydash » Sat Jun 19, 2010 2:51 pm

Why would/should they "really" read your application if you have two below median numbers?

tru

Postby tru » Sat Jun 19, 2010 4:39 pm

Last edited by tru on Fri May 20, 2016 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tru

Postby tru » Sat Jun 19, 2010 4:40 pm

Last edited by tru on Fri May 20, 2016 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”