Would you sell your family's legacy for law school?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
romothesavior

Re: Would you sell your family's legacy for law school?

Postby romothesavior » Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:09 pm

lonerightly wrote:
romothesavior wrote:
lonerightly wrote:Problem is lately Rhodesia aint the same.

Oh, like the whole black people have rights now?

Like the right to buy bread with a billion dollar note?

I'd rather not get into an argument with you regarding the variety of issues associated with the current and past situation in Rhodesia, but to clarify, equating Robert Mugabe with so-called "rights" is about as close to the truth as saying 11,200,000% inflation rate is good for the country.

This isn't a black-white issue.

I don't really want to argue with an obvious flame. Well done, actually... this was a pretty creative flame.

General Tso

Postby General Tso » Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:10 pm

dogmatic slumber wrote:
tkgrrett wrote:The fact that people are taking this serious is making me hardcore LOL

TITCR

wtf happened to that sunfish at the Monterey aquarium??? I want my $27.50 back

lonerightly

Postby lonerightly » Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:10 pm

mst wrote:I don't understand posts like these. Why on earth would people on this forum be at all qualified to counsel you on the political situation in Rhodesia and its potential effect on your land, and whether selling it is worth avoiding debt for law school? How can you expect us to make that kind of decision for you??? Nobody on this forum has any idea what that land is worth in terms of actual value, personal meaning, etc. Just make a choice on whether or not having that land is worth putting yourself into debt.

Nobody on here is going to be able to offer you any sound advice on this unless they happen to be an African real estate expert with a great background in Rhodesian politics. Make your own choice dude...

Thanks for the reasonable response.

I guess if anything it's given people here quite the laugh. :roll:

Anyway I am leaning towards selling, it's about 20,000 acre, and I've received a very generous offer, I guess I was simply looking for some reassurance give the uncertainty of the economy I don't want to look back on my decision is disdain.

dogmatic slumber

Postby dogmatic slumber » Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:11 pm

General Tso wrote:
dogmatic slumber wrote:
tkgrrett wrote:The fact that people are taking this serious is making me hardcore LOL

TITCR

wtf happened to that sunfish at the Monterey aquarium??? I want my $27.50 back

Also credited. I went back and it was gone. Lame.

lonerightly

Postby lonerightly » Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:17 pm

Moxie wrote:
lonerightly wrote:
romothesavior wrote:
lonerightly wrote:Problem is lately Rhodesia aint the same.

Oh, like the whole black people have rights now?

Like the right to buy bread with a billion dollar note?

I'd rather not get into an argument with you regarding the variety of issues associated with the current and past situation in Rhodesia ZImbabwe, but to clarify, equating Robert Mugabe with so-called "rights" is about as close to the truth as saying 11,200,000% inflation rate is good for the country.

Funny, I have some close relatives in a country named "Zimbabwe", also ruled by a Robert Mugabe...almost as if they changed the name of the country once they ended disenfranchisement of the large majority black population.

Seriously though, sell the fucking house, it's going to get repossessed or lose almost all it's value in the future, since I'm sure you wouldn't want to live around the people that supported your white African lifestyle.

And to the million dollar bread comment...obviously Ian Smith and the negligence of the British government had NOTHING to do with the deplorable economic situation in "Rhodesia" :roll:

Listen I am not here to defend the acts of other people, even admittedly perhaps my own family.

Your right, Ian Smith, the UDI, Rhodesian Front, white people, they played a big part in what is going on. But Mugabe has had over 30 years now to improve things, and yet he's been no better than Smith, perhaps some may argue worse.

What that has to do with the general questions of this thread, I am unsure of, however if you have grievances to address or would like to continue such a discussion we can arrange to do so.

Americans are so quick to point out the injustices in other countries, yet Apartheid pretty much was invented by Americans

dogmatic slumber

Postby dogmatic slumber » Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:19 pm

lonerightly wrote:
mst wrote:I don't understand posts like these. Why on earth would people on this forum be at all qualified to counsel you on the political situation in Rhodesia and its potential effect on your land, and whether selling it is worth avoiding debt for law school? How can you expect us to make that kind of decision for you??? Nobody on this forum has any idea what that land is worth in terms of actual value, personal meaning, etc. Just make a choice on whether or not having that land is worth putting yourself into debt.

Nobody on here is going to be able to offer you any sound advice on this unless they happen to be an African real estate expert with a great background in Rhodesian politics. Make your own choice dude...

Thanks for the reasonable response.

I guess if anything it's given people here quite the laugh. :roll:

Anyway I am leaning towards selling, it's about 20,000 acres, and I've received a very generous offer, I guess I was simply looking for some reassurance given the uncertainty of the economy. I don't want to look back on my decision is in disdain.

Attention to detail: Tier 2
Diction (see underlined): TTT

Top 10 with $, eh? Hey let me forward you an email from a Nigerian prince.

General Tso

Postby General Tso » Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:21 pm

lonerightly wrote:
Moxie wrote:
lonerightly wrote:Like the right to buy bread with a billion dollar note?

I'd rather not get into an argument with you regarding the variety of issues associated with the current and past situation in Rhodesia ZImbabwe, but to clarify, equating Robert Mugabe with so-called "rights" is about as close to the truth as saying 11,200,000% inflation rate is good for the country.

Funny, I have some close relatives in a country named "Zimbabwe", also ruled by a Robert Mugabe...almost as if they changed the name of the country once they ended disenfranchisement of the large majority black population.

Seriously though, sell the fucking house, it's going to get repossessed or lose almost all it's value in the future, since I'm sure you wouldn't want to live around the people that supported your white African lifestyle.

And to the million dollar bread comment...obviously Ian Smith and the negligence of the British government had NOTHING to do with the deplorable economic situation in "Rhodesia" :roll:

Listen I am not here to defend the acts of other people, even admittedly perhaps my own family.

Your right, Ian Smith, the UDI, Rhodesian Front, white people, they played a big part in what is going on. But Mugabe has had over 30 years now to improve things, and yet he's been no better than Smith, perhaps some may argue worse.

What that has to do with the general questions of this thread, I am unsure of, however if you have grievances to address or would like to continue such a discussion we can arrange to do so.

Americans are so quick to point out the injustices in other countries, yet Apartheid pretty much was invented by Americans

if you hate America so much, why dont you just LEAVE

rundoxierun

Postby rundoxierun » Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:22 pm

This thread is like when you say something blatantly sarcastic and the other person says "really" so you just say yes and go with it..

jayn3

Postby jayn3 » Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:23 pm

General Tso wrote:if you hate America so much, why dont you just LEAVE

i am torn between agreement and facepalm

lonerightly

Postby lonerightly » Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:24 pm

General Tso wrote:
lonerightly wrote:
Moxie wrote:
lonerightly wrote:Like the right to buy bread with a billion dollar note?

if you hate America so much, why dont you just LEAVE

When did I say I hated America?

dogmatic slumber

Postby dogmatic slumber » Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:29 pm

lonerightly wrote:When did I say I hated America?

Yeah, if anything this thread is anti-British colonialism. Rhodes scholarship, people! Come on!

Canarsie

Postby Canarsie » Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:30 pm

sigh. Rhodesia --> ZIMBABWE. my family owns land in a country which has also changed names. we go by the current. yupyup

HazelEyes

Postby HazelEyes » Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:30 pm

This.

Awesome reply. Finally some sanity on here!

dogmatic slumber

Postby dogmatic slumber » Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:39 pm

HazelEyes wrote:

This.

Awesome reply. Finally some sanity on here!

No, terrible reply, because it was real advice given to a Rhodesian prince with a family fortune. Also, who says we can't call it Rhodesia anymore? Does anyone really call Constantinople "Istanbul"?!

Moxie

Postby Moxie » Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:44 pm

lonerightly wrote:

Well I wasn't born an American, and since my relatives are the ones that suffered for decades under Ian Smith, Verwoerd, and Vorster, I'll gladly point out the injustices of that region.

But I agree, it has nothing to do with this thread, and sorry for the off-topic bitching.

From what I know from relatives in Chinhoyi (and I assume it depends on where you live in Zimbabwe), property values are not stable in the country due to the incredible inflation of recent years, and therefore I assume selling the house would be financially beneficial if possible?? Even if you weren't going to law school, I always assumed owning valuable land (especially as a white person) in that region is a dangerous prospect, as I've hard of numerous violent incidents in Mashonaland West where wealthy landowners are threatened or beaten for their land.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:44 pm

Great post, great flame.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:48 pm

Grab your FN FAL, go back to Rhodesia, and make a go of it. Law school is a waste of time.

Who wouldn't want to be as rad as this guy?

lonerightly

Postby lonerightly » Thu Jun 17, 2010 12:01 am

Moxie wrote:
lonerightly wrote:

Well I wasn't born an American, and since my relatives are the ones that suffered for decades under Ian Smith, Verwoerd, and Vorster, I'll gladly point out the injustices of that region.

But I agree, it has nothing to do with this thread, and sorry for the off-topic bitching.

From what I know from relatives in Chinhoyi (and I assume it depends on where you live in Zimbabwe), property values are not stable in the country due to the incredible inflation of recent years, and therefore I assume selling the house would be financially beneficial if possible?? Even if you weren't going to law school, I always assumed owning valuable land (especially as a white person) in that region is a dangerous prospect, as I've hard of numerous violent incidents in Mashonaland West where wealthy landowners are threatened or beaten for their land.

The majority of my father's holdings which have been appropriated were in Hartley. I believe it is called Chegutu now, which is a bit further from where my property is (midlands.)

My family all lives outside the country now, and my father only goes back every few months, but seldom lately. We are lucky because my property and my father's holdings in midlands are all maintained by locals who have worked for us for three generations. They are very loyal to my family, and I think that has helped us tremendously. My father's brother was actually killed during a raid on his farm during the bush war so we've grown accustomed to the dangers, albeit less severe outside of property. The price I believe is fair, but again I would be selling to another Rhodie so there is that part.

Miniver

Postby Miniver » Thu Jun 17, 2010 12:17 am

Last edited by Miniver on Tue Jul 06, 2010 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

atlantalaw

Postby atlantalaw » Thu Jun 17, 2010 12:34 am

op: i don't have any advice for you other than what others have said.

to everyone else: this op reminds me of the guy who founded his own country. great stuff.

worldtraveler

Postby worldtraveler » Thu Jun 17, 2010 10:02 am

While I think the OP is full of shit, there are a lot of crazy white people who still insist on calling African countries by their colonial names. Sometimes they even say it to people's faces in Africa.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Thu Jun 17, 2010 10:07 am

True, but there are times when using the old name is TCR (such as using Burma instead of Myanmar and Saigon instead of Ho Chi Minh City).

CMDantes

Postby CMDantes » Thu Jun 17, 2010 10:34 am

ITT: Epic flame riles people up.

Nicely done, OP.

Flanker1067

Postby Flanker1067 » Thu Jun 17, 2010 10:59 am

CMDantes wrote:ITT: Epic flame riles people up.

Nicely done, OP.

Who is riled up? This is hilarious. I am actually from Tenochtitlan.

James Bond

Postby James Bond » Thu Jun 17, 2010 11:06 am

:?:

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”