175 Lsat and community college degree Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
goawaybee

Bronze

Re: 175 Lsat and community college degree

Post by goawaybee » Wed Jun 16, 2010 7:17 pm

[quote="MJMD"]
He's managed school and family remarkably well for the past three years. /quote]

That's what this comes down to. If you can swing that and you have support of family and wife/SO. sure there will be bumps but it is all doable. I am not going to get into flame/truth issue. Just gonna take it as truth. If you can beast it and get through CC and knock out anything above 3.7 with two girls, 20 hrs a week with a 175. LS shouldn't be a problem to get through, just a matter of stress on family etc...some are stronger than others, time will be the judge.

harvardgurl4eva

New

Post by harvardgurl4eva » Wed Jun 16, 2010 7:23 pm

You guys are idiots: midwestguy and dukelawguy144 are obviously the same person.

daesonesb

Bronze

Post by daesonesb » Wed Jun 16, 2010 7:54 pm

midwestguy, dukelawguy144, harvardgurl4eva. All posters with under 30 posts.

I get the feeling that this is an elaborate hoax.

harvardgurl4eva

New

Post by harvardgurl4eva » Wed Jun 16, 2010 8:04 pm

I am not involved other than my attempt to point out how obvious the OP's flame was.

harvardgurl4eva

New

Post by harvardgurl4eva » Wed Jun 16, 2010 8:04 pm

daesonesb wrote:midwestguy, dukelawguy144, harvardgurl4eva. All posters with under 30 posts.

No longer accurate.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

joeshmo39

Silver

Post by joeshmo39 » Wed Jun 16, 2010 8:06 pm

I'm hoping this is a flame or else the TLS community was getting dangerously close to actually giving helpful advice. We can't be having that.

Gold

Post by 094320 » Wed Jun 16, 2010 8:13 pm

chw

New

Post by chw » Wed Jun 16, 2010 8:17 pm

thalassocrat wrote: I just want to emphasize that the schools won't care that you went to a CC. I did the first two years of undergrad at one, finished up at a state school, and I'll be at Mich in the fall. My cycle went exactly as my numbers predicted, and my LSAT is lower than yours. Keep that GPA up and like people are saying, you'll be fine.
Yup. A friend of mine went to CC for a couple years, transferred to UC Berkeley, and ended up at SLS.

midwestguy

New

Post by midwestguy » Wed Jun 16, 2010 8:48 pm

goawaybee wrote:
MJMD wrote: He's managed school and family remarkably well for the past three years. /quote]

That's what this comes down to. If you can swing that and you have support of family and wife/SO. sure there will be bumps but it is all doable. I am not going to get into flame/truth issue. Just gonna take it as truth. If you can beast it and get through CC and knock out anything above 3.7 with two girls, 20 hrs a week with a 175. LS shouldn't be a problem to get through, just a matter of stress on family etc...some are stronger than others, time will be the judge.
Thanks for your advice. I appreciate it. I am just going to try hard and see what happens. I think I am willing to take some chances and try and hopefully it will work out for the better. I will keep the people who offered genuine advice updated on my status.

I also want to point out to people that my story is real. If you do not believe my story, it shouldn't matter to you anyway. It is possible for people to do very well without having a favorable situation in the begining. Yes, it was difficult for my entire family and myself to begin a family so young. However, I would not take it back for anything (even harvard law school). I am happily married with two great children and I am working hard to go for law school. Yes it's true! Also, I don't have a bad life with my current job and my family and I have a comfortable life. I do not care about biglaw either (that's true as well!)

I do appreciate the encouraging advice that many people offered.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

lawschoolhelp

New

Post by lawschoolhelp » Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:34 pm

Midwestguy: Your story is really inspiring! Congratulations on your success! It is very rare for someone to score that high, even with years of preparation, so you should be incredibly proud of your score.
I think you have a very unique story and I believe that if you have a very well written personal statement about your experiences and how it led you to study law, you will have a great shot at the best schools. I do not think a community college associates degree and a state bachelors will hinder your admission prospects. Many graduates from the best universities in the world cannot achieve such a high score, a testament to your ability to succeed. I mean, from an admissions perspective, it does not hurt the law school to accept you. (They appear to only care about hard numbers such as UG GPA and LSAT when reporting to USNEWS, in which you are clearly exceptional). Are you an URM? If you are, then it will help you much more. I trust that you will be very successful in the field of law (even though it is shrinking lol)

I hope you get into law school at a place where you and your family are happy. Let us know of any updates to your status! Good luck!

bubiglaw

New

Post by bubiglaw » Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:49 pm

I want to believe this story is true. I really do. But I think it sounds a little too impractical for me. It just seems way too odd that someone who worked for 11 years and then score that high without significant prep or higher education. If its true, then I apologize, but I just have a strong feeling this a flame.

nycsoul87

New

Post by nycsoul87 » Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:02 pm

Very possible, LSAT is a pretty easy exam. And he does have higher education- he's graduating with a bachelors...

BTW, it's not like he's claiming a 40 on the MCAT where you need specialized knowledge. LSAT is not that hard. I suck at school and am not objectively smart and I got a 170.

bubiglaw

New

Post by bubiglaw » Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:13 pm

nycsoul87 wrote:Very possible, LSAT is a pretty easy exam. And he does have higher education- he's graduating with a bachelors...

BTW, it's not like he's claiming a 40 on the MCAT where you need specialized knowledge. LSAT is not that hard. I suck at school and am not objectively smart and I got a 170.
Good point. Yes it could be true that someone scored a 175 on their lsat with minimal education and preparation. I just think the story is a little too dramatic too be real (in my honest opinion). Its possible, just not probable. Especially given all the TLS flames. If it is true, then all the respect to Midwestguy. I am sure he will be very successful (probably more than I ever will be) but more likely than not, its just some random person who is bored and looking for attention. I could be wrong though

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:18 pm

bubiglaw wrote:
nycsoul87 wrote:Very possible, LSAT is a pretty easy exam. And he does have higher education- he's graduating with a bachelors...

Good point. Yes it could be true that someone scored a 175 on their lsat with minimal education and preparation. I just think the story is a little too dramatic too be real (in my honest opinion). Its possible, just not probable. Especially given all the TLS flames. If it is true, then all the respect to Midwestguy. I am sure he will be very successful (probably more than I ever will be) but more likely than not, its just some random person who is bored and looking for attention. I could be wrong though
Why is everyone talking about this guy like he just walked out of the jungle? He went to community college and a state school. Do you know how many T14 students do this? More than a few.

angie979

New

Post by angie979 » Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:20 pm

Bubiglaw,

How can you say that? He does have higher education. He is almost done with his bachlors. How does college prepare you for an LSAT anyways? This man is intelligent. He sounds like he was at the top of his class in high school but then his life took a different turn. I can relate. I was top of my class in high school and was accepted, with scholarship, to Texas A & M when a tragedy changed my direction in life. People do not become less intelligent the longer they work.

I am 30 as well and will be attending law school next fall after completing my degree at University of Phoenix. Many people look down on me because of where I am getting my degree, but with my situation, online was the only option. I am a single mother with 2 kids who works full time at a law firm. I attended an lsat review course and was scoring higher than all of the "early twenty somethings" in my class. You shouldn't be so quick to judge. I know some people who have scored in the 170s with only a few weeks of studying. Just because you don't think you could do what he has done does not mean he made it up.

bubiglaw

New

Post by bubiglaw » Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:27 pm

angie979 wrote:Bubiglaw,

How can you say that? He does have higher education. He is almost done with his bachlors. How does college prepare you for an LSAT anyways? This man is intelligent. He sounds like he was at the top of his class in high school but then his life took a different turn. I can relate. I was top of my class in high school and was accepted, with scholarship, to Texas A & M when a tragedy changed my direction in life. People do not become less intelligent the longer they work.

I am 30 as well and will be attending law school next fall after completing my degree at University of Phoenix. Many people look down on me because of where I am getting my degree, but with my situation, online was the only option. I am a single mother with 2 kids who works full time at a law firm. I attended an lsat review course and was scoring higher than all of the "early twenty somethings" in my class. You shouldn't be so quick to judge. I know some people who have scored in the 170s with only a few weeks of studying. Just because you don't think you could do what he has done does not mean he made it up.
Congratulations on your success. You are right in that it is possible. I was just thinking that the story was too dramatic that it caused me to have doubt about his story. 175 is an amazing score and very very few people attain it (maybe 300-400 hundred a year). You attended a class and it makes sense that you did well. OP made it sound like he did not get any help with the exam, which just makes me very doubtful to believe that someone who did not have much time to study could score a 175 just like that. Its not a test that you can more or less wing.

I just think that many people post on TLS just to cause a flame war. I thought this could be the case, but I may be wrong.

dukelawguy144

Bronze

Post by dukelawguy144 » Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:34 pm

daesonesb wrote:midwestguy, dukelawguy144, harvardgurl4eva. All posters with under 30 posts.

Not true. Sorry to break to your TLS hoax theory though, I bet you enjoyed conjuring it up.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

harvardgurl4eva

New

Post by harvardgurl4eva » Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:38 pm

dukelawguy144 wrote:

Not true. Sorry to break to your TLS hoax theory though, I bet you enjoyed conjuring it up.
It's only not true in that he included me -- your reg date and number of posts are nearly identical to midwestguy (oh...and your name is too).

I wouldn't be surprised if bubiglaw was yours as well.

bradley

New

Post by bradley » Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:45 pm

I love this story, and I think adcomms will as well. I think you need to think long and hard about your decision to go to law school, though. Read up on the profession and learn what lawyers actually do all day, it can be very grueling, but also very rewarding. I really don't want you to go to law school, rack up $100,000 in debt, hate your job, and add unnecessary stress to your life. You seem to be enjoying yourself as is. You will have to work much, MUCH harder than you had to work at your CC or for the LSAT to do well at a top 10 law school (but you can certainly do it).

lawschooloneday

New

Post by lawschooloneday » Thu Jun 17, 2010 12:00 am

very very jealous of your score. Amazing story bud, I am sure you will get into (and deserve to get into) the law school of your choice. Like someone else said, all that matters to matter to law schools is US NEWS, and many would love to have numbers like yours.

midwestguy

New

Post by midwestguy » Thu Jun 17, 2010 12:37 pm

lawschoolhelp wrote:Midwestguy: Your story is really inspiring! Congratulations on your success! It is very rare for someone to score that high, even with years of preparation, so you should be incredibly proud of your score.
I think you have a very unique story and I believe that if you have a very well written personal statement about your experiences and how it led you to study law, you will have a great shot at the best schools. I do not think a community college associates degree and a state bachelors will hinder your admission prospects. Many graduates from the best universities in the world cannot achieve such a high score, a testament to your ability to succeed. I mean, from an admissions perspective, it does not hurt the law school to accept you. (They appear to only care about hard numbers such as UG GPA and LSAT when reporting to USNEWS, in which you are clearly exceptional). Are you an URM? If you are, then it will help you much more. I trust that you will be very successful in the field of law (even though it is shrinking lol)

I hope you get into law school at a place where you and your family are happy. Let us know of any updates to your status! Good luck!

Thanks for your wishes. To answer your question, no I am not an URM.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

jjleague

New

Post by jjleague » Thu Jun 17, 2010 3:12 pm

I love the tactics.

That could be a real game changer for everyone who hasn't yet obtained their Bachelors, just chill at the local CC taking shop classes and home ec and rack in a year of 4.0 taking about 18 hours a semester and see what that does for your GPA. Go to CC really boost your GPA, study your backside off, get a good LSAT and you are in like Flynn.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Thu Jun 17, 2010 3:22 pm

jjleague wrote:I love the tactics.

That could be a real game changer for everyone who hasn't yet obtained their Bachelors, just chill at the local CC taking shop classes and home ec and rack in a year of 4.0 taking about 18 hours a semester and see what that does for your GPA. Go to CC really boost your GPA, study your backside off, get a good LSAT and you are in like Flynn.
TBF most gen eds at most colleges are just as easy as community college.

Cardboardbox

Bronze

Post by Cardboardbox » Thu Jun 17, 2010 3:34 pm

Now, maybe I'm just overly-cynical (though the story sounds amazing if true) doesn't anyone else find it odd that there are a host of posters, especially on this page of the thread all with really low post counts who all almost read like the same person.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Thu Jun 17, 2010 3:48 pm

Cardboardbox wrote:Now, maybe I'm just overly-cynical (though the story sounds amazing if true) doesn't anyone else find it odd that there are a host of posters, especially on this page of the thread all with really low post counts who all almost read like the same person.
If it's a flame, it's a poor one. The skill in making a flame, is getting people to believe a crazy story. Not getting people to believe a completely believable story.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”