175 Lsat and community college degree Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )

Diamond

Re: 175 Lsat and community college degree

Post by 09042014 » Wed Jun 16, 2010 5:49 pm

IAFG wrote:
Desert Fox wrote: OP would get into UChi with a decent GPA. I don't get why everyone is saying NU only.

What is your GPA when you add up all your classes from CC, and real college OP?
if he wants to stay in IL (and he sounds pretty settled about that), NU with $ > UChi
That's not a decision he can make until he gets offers from both schools.

MJMD

Bronze

Post by MJMD » Wed Jun 16, 2010 5:50 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
IAFG wrote:
Desert Fox wrote: OP would get into UChi with a decent GPA. I don't get why everyone is saying NU only.

if he wants to stay in IL (and he sounds pretty settled about that), NU with $ > UChi
That's not a decision he can make until he gets offers from both schools.
Between those two schools, $$ for the win.

miamiman

Silver

Post by miamiman » Wed Jun 16, 2010 5:51 pm

IAFG wrote:

I'm sorry: didn't we just establish last week that there do exist sizable placement differences between uchi and nu even within the city?

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Wed Jun 16, 2010 5:53 pm

miamiman wrote:
IAFG wrote:

I'm sorry: didn't we just establish last week that there do exist sizable placement differences between uchi and nu even within the city?
Nobody knows what the differences are in this economy, and nobody knows what offers this guy will get. This isn't the time to have this argument.

midwestguy

New

Post by midwestguy » Wed Jun 16, 2010 5:53 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
midwestguy wrote:
OP would get into UChi with a decent GPA. I don't get why everyone is saying NU only.

I have not submitted my transcripts to LSDAS, but I assume its around a 3.7-3.8 (I had a 4.0 from CC)
Really work to get that GPA to 3.8 Like your life depends on it. 3.8/175 will get big money at Northwestern, and a sizable chunk at UChicago. You scholarships will rapidly decline after 3.8, so you better gun your ass off.[/quote]

I am trying very hard for a 4.0 (I think its possible). My parents are taking my two girls on a trip this summer and we are sending them to summer camp for the rest of the summer so I can focus on school (wife is very supportive especially even though there will be no vacation time for the two of us this summer). I even reduced my hours to work only 20 hours a week (difficult to convince my boss).

If I get my LSDAS GPA above a 3.8, I would have a short at Northwestern or Chicago?!!! Wow! I thought all elite law schools frown upon Community colleges and less prestigious schools BA schools (or atleast that is what I heard). This forum has given me some more motivation. :)!!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

let/them/eat/cake

Silver

Post by let/them/eat/cake » Wed Jun 16, 2010 5:53 pm

i can't believe the 175 repairman thing didn't get a "flame" call. btw, i'm not trying to say flame or anything, but usu on this site...

in any case, i want to live in a world where this is a real story lol

i'd play up the mature family man/repairman angle in the PS. you'll be different, for sure. things will go well for you, sir. good luck.

MJMD

Bronze

Post by MJMD » Wed Jun 16, 2010 5:54 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
miamiman wrote:
IAFG wrote:

Nobody knows what the differences are in this economy, and nobody knows what offers this guy will get. This isn't the time to have this argument.
I love how we all seem to have flown into a panic over determining this guy's future!

We should be admissions officers.

midwestguy

New

Post by midwestguy » Wed Jun 16, 2010 5:54 pm

Sauer Grapes

Silver

Post by Sauer Grapes » Wed Jun 16, 2010 5:55 pm

Last edited by Sauer Grapes on Thu Aug 19, 2010 11:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Wed Jun 16, 2010 5:57 pm

let/them/eat/cake wrote:i can't believe the 175 repairman thing didn't get a "flame" call. btw, i'm not trying to say flame or anything, but usu on this site...

i'd play up the mature family man/repairman angle in the PS. you'll be different, for sure. things will go well for you, sir. good luck.
Sounds like he knocked up his girlfriend at 19, so he never went to college. I'm not sure what is unbelievable about it. Hell, there are political science students who get 175's, if they can do it a repairman can.

thalassocrat

Bronze

Post by thalassocrat » Wed Jun 16, 2010 6:00 pm

midwestguy wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
midwestguy wrote:
OP would get into UChi with a decent GPA. I don't get why everyone is saying NU only.

I have not submitted my transcripts to LSDAS, but I assume its around a 3.7-3.8 (I had a 4.0 from CC)
Really work to get that GPA to 3.8 Like your life depends on it. 3.8/175 will get big money at Northwestern, and a sizable chunk at UChicago. You scholarships will rapidly decline after 3.8, so you better gun your ass off.

I am trying very hard for a 4.0 (I think its possible). My parents are taking my two girls on a trip this summer and we are sending them to summer camp for the rest of the summer so I can focus on school (wife is very supportive especially even though there will be no vacation time for the two of us this summer). I even reduced my hours to work only 20 hours a week (difficult to convince my boss).

If I get my LSDAS GPA above a 3.8, I would have a short at Northwestern or Chicago?!!! Wow! I thought all elite law schools frown upon Community colleges and less prestigious schools BA schools (or atleast that is what I heard). This forum has given me some more motivation. :)!![/quote]

I just want to emphasize that the schools won't care that you went to a CC. I did the first two years of undergrad at one, finished up at a state school, and I'll be at Mich in the fall. My cycle went exactly as my numbers predicted, and my LSAT is lower than yours. Keep that GPA up and like people are saying, you'll be fine.

midwestguy

New

Post by midwestguy » Wed Jun 16, 2010 6:01 pm

Sauer Grapes wrote:You might want to look into the AJD program at Northwestern as well if finishing in two years appeals to you. Be cautioned though, I've heard those that applied directly to the AJD did not receive scholarships.
Thanks! I will certainily need scholarship assistance though. My wife and I put most of savings into college funds for our kids (something that you can imagine, I wont touch). It is also going to be difficult on our family without my income for three years (even though my wife just got a promotion and assuming I get into law scool). I am also spending a lot of money to finish up my BA, so hopefully, I will earn a good scholarship to wherever I get in.

daesonesb

Bronze

Post by daesonesb » Wed Jun 16, 2010 6:05 pm

I? The
Last edited by daesonesb on Sun Jul 17, 2011 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

dukelawguy144

Bronze

Post by dukelawguy144 » Wed Jun 16, 2010 6:07 pm

I have a feeling this guy is just trying to screw with us.

I do not believe that a repairman from the midwest earned a score at the top 1% of the US. Additionally, I think he is trying to use the dad with two daughters to get our attention. I mean, lets be honest, if he is smart enouph to get such a high lsat, he probabably is not the type to knock up a girl at age 19 and not go to college.

Nice try midwestguy. I just dont buy it

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Wed Jun 16, 2010 6:09 pm

dukelawguy144 wrote:I mean, lets be honest, if he is smart enouph to get such a high lsat, he probabably is not the type to knock up a girl at age 19 and not go to college.
you mean, not a virgin, like most 175+ scorers?

wait, actually, good point

let/them/eat/cake

Silver

Post by let/them/eat/cake » Wed Jun 16, 2010 6:19 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
let/them/eat/cake wrote:i can't believe the 175 repairman thing didn't get a "flame" call. btw, i'm not trying to say flame or anything, but usu on this site...

Sounds like he knocked up his girlfriend at 19, so he never went to college. I'm not sure what is unbelievable about it. Hell, there are political science students who get 175's, if they can do it a repairman can.
good point DF, good point.

stratocophic

Gold

Post by stratocophic » Wed Jun 16, 2010 6:20 pm

Desert Fox wrote:

As an engineering major, my objective, unbiased opinion is as follows:

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

dukelawguy144

Bronze

Post by dukelawguy144 » Wed Jun 16, 2010 6:54 pm

Last edited by dukelawguy144 on Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Wed Jun 16, 2010 6:55 pm

dukelawguy144 wrote:Dude If you are for real, here is what I have to say

Apply but be prepared for rejection. T10 law schools won't give so much wieght to someone who made poor choices in thier past. Also if you do get in, chances are, you won't be able to do well enouph to get a job anyway. Think about it, you have kids, wife and bills to pay. Most people in law school have nothing to do but study and you wil have compete with them. Chances are, you won't do as well (which is understandble given your situation). Also three years lost income is a big risk that you are taking for your family. Think about it. The legal market sucks and I think you are way too optimistic a high LSAT score promises you a more upper class life.
gosh, you're both mistaken and unpleasant. what a combo.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Wed Jun 16, 2010 6:56 pm

Apply but be prepared for rejection. T10 law schools won't give so much wieght to someone who made poor choices in thier past. Also if you do get in, chances are, you won't be able to do well enouph to get a job anyway. Think about it, you have kids, wife and bills to pay. Most people in law school have nothing to do but study and you wil have compete with them. Chances are, you won't do as well (which is understandble given your situation). Also three years lost income is a big risk that you are taking for your family. Think about it. The legal market sucks and I think you are way too optimistic a high LSAT score promises you a more upper class life.
What poor choices are you talking about?

stratocophic

Gold

Post by stratocophic » Wed Jun 16, 2010 6:59 pm

IAFG wrote:

gosh, you're both mistaken and unpleasant. what a combo.
Yeeeeah. I'd rather be a PD/DA than a repairman, myself (many see this as a fallback option for those who miss the 6 figure salaries - whether that's valid or not... likely depends on your target market). No disrespect to the handyman profession at all, though. It's an absolutely vital role, and my background's about as blue collar as it gets. If OP's ambitious enough to do this, go for it. The full range of options coming out seems pretty good despite all of the griping and moaning that goes on about the current dearth of Biglaw opportunities.

Also, poster below me is correct. You'll swing full/near-full rides at WashU/Illinois if your application comes across as sincerely interested (read: not half-assed), and you're pretty much a mortal lock for a full ride from Indiana, if that's more to your liking/in nearer proximity. Huge amounts of debt are not a necessity if you're not necessarily looking to become (for example) a corporate attorney in Chicago.
Last edited by stratocophic on Wed Jun 16, 2010 7:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

ze2151

Bronze

Post by ze2151 » Wed Jun 16, 2010 7:02 pm

midwestguy- here is the deal. 175 is solid freaking gold. there may be only 600-700 people a year with a score like that. congratulations. someone will pay nearly full freight for you (Illinois, WashU) or slide you some dough (NU, Chicago). My numbers are actually very similar to the ones you'll have. people here tend to overestimate how much money you'll get. and you may well be rejected by some people. but considering you have a family to think about (i do as well), a full ride at illinois may be tempting.

dukelawguy144

Bronze

Post by dukelawguy144 » Wed Jun 16, 2010 7:08 pm

Last edited by dukelawguy144 on Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dukelawguy144

Bronze

Post by dukelawguy144 » Wed Jun 16, 2010 7:12 pm

OP. Do not move your family for law school. That could end up being the worst decesion of your life.

MJMD

Bronze

Post by MJMD » Wed Jun 16, 2010 7:14 pm

-

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”