160/2.75. I got an e-mail from Pittsburgh Law Today.

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
romothesavior

Re: 160/2.75. I got an e-mail from Pittsburgh Law Today.

Postby romothesavior » Sun Jun 20, 2010 8:40 pm

tikiman6 wrote:Whoever said WE doesn't matter is full of it. NW lets in almost nobody without it, and if you get a good job and do something there that can add to your boring softs. Then you can retake the LSAT, do better, and have a better shot at it all.

This thread has absolutely nothing to do with Northwestern.

b.j.

Postby b.j. » Mon Jun 21, 2010 1:26 am

Gamecubesupreme wrote:
b.j. wrote:
Gamecubesupreme wrote:I have ultimately decided to attend Pittsburgh Law. A lot of you mentioned how I should go for it if I am truly interested in law and I guess that's what tipped the scale for me. I imagined myself taking the year off working vs. attending law school and I realized I wanted the latter much more than the former. I'm also afraid I might lose my academic motivation if I started working for a few years.

Even though I understand it is pretty much the worst time to enter law school due to the economic crisis, I don't want to risk getting complacent about law school a few years from now.

Thanks for all your help guys.

Did they offer you a spot outright, or did they simply ask if you were interested? Or did they offer you a spot after you responded to the e-mail saying you were interested? I got an e-mail a couple of weeks ago after the second deposit deadline passed asking me if I was still interested. I said I absolutely was, but I haven't heard anything back.

I got an e-mail asking whether I'm still interested. I replied yes and they gave me a call literally 3 seconds after I sent the e-mail and asked if I will take the seat.

Well, I wish I could say the same. I got the e-mail on June 8. It's been a few weeks. I haven't heard anything good, but I also haven't heard anything bad. I honestly don't know what to think. I called them last week to ask, hoping to get a hint of something from the lady who answered, but I got nothing. I'm not going to try to interpret her tone.

Did you send them anything to indicate your interest? I didn't. I considered driving to the school to get in their faces and let them know how much I want to go there, but I am not sure if that will make any difference.

We also have similar numbers, so was there anything special about your application? Regardless, congratulations.

Gamecubesupreme

Postby Gamecubesupreme » Mon Jun 21, 2010 2:38 am

b.j. wrote:Did you send them anything to indicate your interest? I didn't. I considered driving to the school to get in their faces and let them know how much I want to go there, but I am not sure if that will make any difference.

We also have similar numbers, so was there anything special about your application? Regardless, congratulations.

Nope, I simply got an e-mail from them and I replied to tell them I was still interested.

I highly doubt there was anything special about my application...like I said, I have close to zero WE and pretty much nothing worth noting other than the standard debate club and Model UN participation. I didn't even win any prizes at conferences or tournaments.

yellowjacket2012

Postby yellowjacket2012 » Mon Jun 21, 2010 4:11 am

I'd go to Pitt

GermX

Postby GermX » Mon Jun 21, 2010 4:50 pm

This has to be a flame....

tikiman6

Postby tikiman6 » Mon Jun 21, 2010 8:15 pm

romothesavior wrote:
tikiman6 wrote:Whoever said WE doesn't matter is full of it. NW lets in almost nobody without it, and if you get a good job and do something there that can add to your boring softs. Then you can retake the LSAT, do better, and have a better shot at it all.

The point I was making is that WE is valuable, some schools (e.g. NW) value it higher than grades and LSAT, which would seem to indicate it's value. What was the point of your post? I'm guessing boredom?

Postby 09042014 » Mon Jun 21, 2010 8:20 pm

tikiman6 wrote:
romothesavior wrote:

The point I was making is that WE is valuable, some schools (e.g. NW) value it higher than grades and LSAT, which would seem to indicate it's value. What was the point of your post? I'm guessing boredom?

Northwestern is the exception not the rule.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Mon Jun 21, 2010 8:25 pm

tikiman6 wrote:
romothesavior wrote:

All of my posts are rooted in boredom.

And DF is credited. In terms of acceptance at the vast majority of schools, WE matters, but only very slightly. That isn't to say it isn't valuable for other reasons. In some ways, I wish I had taken time off after UG. But in terms of being a strong soft, it isn't important with the exception of NW. Don't use the exception to prove the rule.

Postby 09042014 » Mon Jun 21, 2010 8:32 pm

romothesavior wrote:
tikiman6 wrote:
romothesavior wrote:

All of my posts are rooted in boredom.

And DF is credited. In terms of acceptance at the vast majority of schools, WE matters, but only very slightly. That isn't to say it isn't valuable for other reasons. In some ways, I wish I had taken time off after UG. But in terms of being a strong soft, it isn't important with the exception of NW. Don't use the exception to prove the rule.

Actually NU is the exception that proves the rule that W/E isn't a huge factor.

b.j.

Postby b.j. » Mon Jun 21, 2010 11:46 pm

Gamecubesupreme wrote:
b.j. wrote:Did you send them anything to indicate your interest? I didn't. I considered driving to the school to get in their faces and let them know how much I want to go there, but I am not sure if that will make any difference.

Nope, I simply got an e-mail from them and I replied to tell them I was still interested.

I highly doubt there was anything special about my application...like I said, I have close to zero WE and pretty much nothing worth noting other than the standard debate club and Model UN participation. I didn't even win any prizes at conferences or tournaments.

Oh, damn. I was hoping you were going to tell you were a transvestite or something else.

Oh well, maybe I will give them a call or something tomorrow. Did you send them anything to indicate your interest?

Gamecubesupreme

Postby Gamecubesupreme » Tue Jun 22, 2010 12:19 am

b.j. wrote:
Gamecubesupreme wrote:

Oh, damn. I was hoping you were going to tell you were a transvestite or something else.

Oh well, maybe I will give them a call or something tomorrow. Did you send them anything to indicate your interest?

They wait-listed me since March. I did not send them anything the entire time.

b.j.

Postby b.j. » Tue Jun 22, 2010 4:44 pm

Gamecubesupreme wrote:
b.j. wrote:
Gamecubesupreme wrote:

They wait-listed me since March. I did not send them anything the entire time.

Oh, okay. I've thought about sending them a letter describing how interested I am, but at the same time, I am not sure I'd make it sound good. It's probably better to send nothing at all than something sub par.

UFstudent

Postby UFstudent » Tue Jun 29, 2010 6:40 pm

I highly doubt there was anything special about my application...like I said, I have close to zero WE and pretty much nothing worth noting other than the standard debate club and Model UN participation. I didn't even win any prizes at conferences or tournaments.[/quote]

Oh well, maybe I will give them a call or something tomorrow. Did you send them anything to indicate your interest?[/quote]

They wait-listed me since March. I did not send them anything the entire time.[/quote]

Oh, okay. I've thought about sending them a letter describing how interested I am, but at the same time, I am not sure I'd make it sound good. It's probably better to send nothing at all than something sub par.[/quote]

send a letter only if there is something new. Don't rehash your personal statement.

b.j.

Postby b.j. » Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:11 am

send a letter only if there is something new. Don't rehash your personal statement.

Right. I don't really have anything new to add. I was thinking of writing a short paragraph or two addressed to one of the admissions deans describing how badly I wanted to go to their school. I don't know if it would really help.

Gamecubesupreme

Postby Gamecubesupreme » Wed Jun 30, 2010 2:06 am

b.j. wrote:

Right. I don't really have anything new to add. I was thinking of writing a short paragraph or two addressed to one of the admissions deans describing how badly I wanted to go to their school. I don't know if it would really help.

Man, now I feel bad for potentially taking your spot.

I mean, I want to go to law school, but I wouldn't mind going somewhere else. It seems like you have your heart set on Pittsburgh.

b.j.

Postby b.j. » Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:15 pm

Gamecubesupreme wrote:
b.j. wrote:

Man, now I feel bad for potentially taking your spot.

I mean, I want to go to law school, but I wouldn't mind going somewhere else. It seems like you have your heart set on Pittsburgh.

I appreciate the sentiment, but...

1. You didn't take my spot. Nobody else did, either. It's not like "shoting fives" when someone gets up from the couch. It's yours just as much as it is that of anyone else.

2. The more I have learned about the school, the more I like it, but it's not the end of the world if I don't go there. I was all set to go another school, but that school gave me a really, really shitty financial aid deal. (The estimated cost of attendance is around $66,000, and the majority of the loans they offered were unsubsidized, so the interest would start being tacked on right way. At least $225,000 for a school that is decent and getting better but not in the Top 50, let alone the Top 25, let alone the Top 14? No way. I am not sure why I wasn't offered any grants or anything, but I wasn't, so...) Out of the two schools I have left as options--Pittsburgh (waitlist) and Chicago-Kent (PT, deferred)--neither one really stands out. I'd be happy at either, I think, but perhaps more Pittsburgh that Chicago because I wouldn't work if I went to Pittsburgh. A lot of people are bound to criticize me for saying this, but I'm really interested in going to either school as a way to finally get started with my life and for a pretty big change of pace from what I am doing. In the grand scheme of things, I can't complain, because I have a job, however unglamorous, when 15 million people are unemployed and millions more are struggling in some way, I have my health, and I have lots of other things going right. Still, I'm getting sick of what I am doing. I can't say with any certainty I'm going to love law school and being a lawyer, but it's very appealing for a number of reasons. The thought of waiting an additional year and having to take that goddamn test again? Not so much.

3. Of course, if that's what I have to do, I can't complain that much. As I just said, I am pretty lucky overall, and perhaps if I wait another year, my options will be better.

4. I just wish I knew what was going to happen either way so I could plan my life. I am an adult. I can handle it.

If I am not going, I need to find old materials or buy new ones to study for that stupid test. If I am going, I need to, among other things, rent an apartment in a city I have never been to, see friends and family for the last time, and let my job know I will be leaving. Classes start in about six weeks, so if they could hurry the hell up, I'd appreciate it.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”