JD/MPP

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Joeshan520
Posts: 183
Joined: Fri Dec 26, 2008 8:05 pm

JD/MPP

Postby Joeshan520 » Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:35 am

Is it true that it is easier to be admitted to an MPP program after being accepted into a JD program then applying to both separately? Has anyone ever done this?
Looking into UChicago, Michigan, Duke and Penn.

Thanks!

User avatar
kk19131
Posts: 1054
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:08 pm

Re: JD/MPP

Postby kk19131 » Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:41 am

Do you mean applying to both concurrently or applying to the MPP/MPA program after being accepted to the JD program.

Joeshan520
Posts: 183
Joined: Fri Dec 26, 2008 8:05 pm

Re: JD/MPP

Postby Joeshan520 » Wed Jun 16, 2010 2:31 pm

kk19131 wrote:Do you mean applying to both concurrently or applying to the MPP/MPA program after being accepted to the JD program.


Applying to both concurrently and applying to each separately (i.e. applying to the MPP studying for a year or completing it and then applying for the JD)

Joeshan520
Posts: 183
Joined: Fri Dec 26, 2008 8:05 pm

Re: JD/MPP

Postby Joeshan520 » Thu Jun 17, 2010 12:06 am

bump

User avatar
queenlizzie13
Posts: 938
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:30 pm

Re: JD/MPP

Postby queenlizzie13 » Thu Jun 17, 2010 11:48 am

Well from talking to a public policy representative from UCLA at a law school career fair - I think there are positives and negatives to applying concurrently and separately.

For one, if you apply concurrently you can use the LSAT for both as long as your LSAT score (at least for UCLA) is above a 160. However, I have also read through books that sometimes law schools don't like dual degree applicants as much because it makes them seem as though they are less serious about the law.

Nevertheless, a JD and MPP go very well together and I was also planning to do this.
Plus if you apply concurrently it's only 4 years of school versus 5 (3 for the JD and 2 for the MPP)

Hope this helps.

User avatar
IAFG
Posts: 6665
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:26 pm

Re: JD/MPP

Postby IAFG » Thu Jun 17, 2010 11:56 am

queenlizzie13 wrote:However, I have also read through books that sometimes law schools don't like dual degree applicants as much because it makes them seem as though they are less serious about the law.

sounds unlikely for policy, law's ugly stepsister. or maybe prettier stepsister?

User avatar
queenlizzie13
Posts: 938
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:30 pm

Re: JD/MPP

Postby queenlizzie13 » Thu Jun 17, 2010 12:00 pm

IAFG wrote:
queenlizzie13 wrote:However, I have also read through books that sometimes law schools don't like dual degree applicants as much because it makes them seem as though they are less serious about the law.

sounds unlikely for policy, law's ugly stepsister. or maybe prettier stepsister?


Yes it is, that's why I also added the thing about MPP and JD going really well together at the bottom of my post. Not to mention I'm doing the same thing, applying for MPP and JD at the same time.

susanasanjuan
Posts: 20
Joined: Sat Feb 27, 2010 5:15 pm

Re: JD/MPP

Postby susanasanjuan » Wed Jun 30, 2010 7:02 pm

-----------




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], loslakers and 5 guests