LSAT round 3 vs. applying in September

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )

Should I re-take or send in a 4.0/170 on Sept. 1?

Round 3
19%
Early application
81%

Total votes: 21

jcd178

LSAT round 3 vs. applying in September

Postby jcd178 » Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:04 am

Hope I can get some good advice from you guys on this rather complicated question.

For some background: I made a 167 and then a 170 my two LSATs. Both were significantly lower than my PT average, for some unknown reason (I had hit 180 three straight times before my 170 on the real thing). I decided that I was burned out on the LSAT, so I have just been getting my applications ready to send them in as early as schools will take them.

I've started having second thoughts though, so I'm looking for the TLS opinion on whether a few more LSAT points is > or < having my apps in the adcomms' hands on Sept. 1st. If it helps to know, I have a 4.0 and I'm planning on blanketing the T14.

dominkay

Re: LSAT round 3 vs. applying in September

Postby dominkay » Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:14 am

For some unknown reason? It makes no sense to retake for a third time unless you've figured out why you've been underperforming and how to counteract it.

Anyway, 170/4.0 will get you into lots of T14 schools.

jcd178

Postby jcd178 » Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:11 am

Noted. I mean, I know I've underperformed because I haven't quite mastered LGs and I happened to get hit with unluckily difficult LG sections on the real test days, but I guess I just meant that I'm not really sure how to fix this, having already done LG Bible and a veritable fuck ton of PTs.

lawduder

Postby lawduder » Wed Jun 16, 2010 2:37 pm

do both

Postby 09042014 » Wed Jun 16, 2010 2:39 pm

The benefit of applying in Sept over Nov 1, is less than one LSAT point at most schools, and at many schools it is not difference at all.

jcd178

Postby jcd178 » Wed Jun 16, 2010 3:16 pm

lawduder wrote:do both

What do you mean? Next LSAT is in October, making this impossible, correct?

MJMD

Postby MJMD » Wed Jun 16, 2010 3:19 pm

jcd178 wrote:
lawduder wrote:do both

What do you mean? Next LSAT is in October, making this impossible, correct?

Even with ED, I don't think that the T14 schools will make any decisions until some time after the October test date, unless they're positive ones. You already have extremely good LSAT scores, but I think they would still have time to consider the addition of a truly stellar one. Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't a lot of people apply before even writing the LSAT for the first time?

jcd178

Postby jcd178 » Wed Jun 16, 2010 3:22 pm

Hmm.. I didn't realize this was an option. So I could apply and then update them with my new score after October, or something along those lines?

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Wed Jun 16, 2010 3:23 pm

Agree with the advice to "do both".

Mirrored

Postby Mirrored » Wed Jun 16, 2010 3:27 pm

You need to figure out why you are not performing on test day and fix that.

Other than that, your GPA/LSAT is already competitive enough and a 1 point or 2 point difference is not going to make you a meaningfully stronger applicant, you'd need a big raise to make it.

You'll also look phenomenally silly if you get a 1 or 2 point increase, and even sillier if you get a decrease. So, I would apply now, and then update ONLY IF you see improvement.

im_blue

Postby im_blue » Wed Jun 16, 2010 3:34 pm

Mirrored wrote:You need to figure out why you are not performing on test day and fix that.

Other than that, your GPA/LSAT is already competitive enough and a 1 point or 2 point difference is not going to make you a meaningfully stronger applicant, you'd need a big raise to make it.

You'll also look phenomenally silly if you get a 1 or 2 point increase, and even sillier if you get a decrease. So, I would apply now, and then update ONLY IF you see improvement.

I agree with this, except the bolded part won't work - LSAT scores are automatically updated and sent to every law school you applied to.

jcd178

Postby jcd178 » Wed Jun 16, 2010 3:36 pm

im_blue wrote:
Mirrored wrote:You need to figure out why you are not performing on test day and fix that.

I agree with this, except the bolded part won't work - LSAT scores are automatically updated and sent to every law school you applied to.

Argh.. I was momentarily ecstatic thinking that I could choose whether or not to update. My mind would've been made up for sure.

Would doing both not forfeit any advantage gained by having it in early? I mean, wouldn't my application basically be considered incomplete until October scores came in?

MJMD

Postby MJMD » Wed Jun 16, 2010 4:04 pm

jcd178 wrote:
im_blue wrote:

Argh.. I was momentarily ecstatic thinking that I could choose whether or not to update. My mind would've been made up for sure.

Would doing both not forfeit any advantage gained by having it in early? I mean, wouldn't my application basically be considered incomplete until October scores came in?

I don't see why, unless they average LSAT scores, which I don't think they do. Also I would imagine that the schools only hear of the score update, but are not appraised of your scheduling to write the test again: if that is true, then they would take your existing scores as complete and begin evaluating you on the basis of them, and then be (hopefully) pleasantly surprised by the arrival of a 180 in the mail.

Assuming everything I just said is true, then I think that if you're confident of doing better on the test in October, you have nothing to lose. But you have to do better, even if only by one point.

And I think there is one other way to avoid reporting if you don't want to: if you finish the test in October and are confident that you tanked or did not improve upon your previous score, then you can always fill in the box at the end cancelling out the test.

im_blue

Postby im_blue » Wed Jun 16, 2010 4:10 pm

jcd178 wrote:
im_blue wrote:

Most apps require you to put down past and future LSAT dates, and apps are usually held until future LSAT scores come in.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Wed Jun 16, 2010 4:12 pm

im_blue wrote:Most apps require you to put down past and future LSAT dates, and apps are usually held until future LSAT scores come in.

you can specifically ask them not to

jcd178

Postby jcd178 » Thu Jun 17, 2010 8:15 am

Okay, so it looks like I don't really have much to lose, as long as I know if I should cancel or not. Appreciate the advice, although I was very happy before thinking that I should be done with this godforsaken test.

doublefocus4

Postby doublefocus4 » Sat Jun 19, 2010 7:50 am

Yeah, definitely do both. Apply and then send them a score update (that is if it's a better score).

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”