Who writes diversity statements?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Canarsie

Who writes diversity statements?

Postby Canarsie » Tue Jun 15, 2010 12:35 pm

I'm not a URM but I have an interesting heritage (at least, in my opinion). I come from a family of Yemenite Jews and grew up hearing Hebrew, eating Yemenite foods, learning the traditions etc. of this small but culturally-rich group. It's definitely shaped my life and had large impacts for my family.

I know that Middle Eastern heritage does not get a boost from adcomms, but should I still write a diversity statement? I definitely think this background will help me stand out from the student body and add a new perspective. I wasn't sure if diversity statements were truly beneficial for non-URMs, however.

Thank you.

IAFG

Re: Who writes diversity statements?

Postby IAFG » Tue Jun 15, 2010 12:38 pm

yes, you should write one. it isn't going to be a game-changer in your cycle but it gives you a chance to show another side of you which, IMO, can only help you seem appealing overall.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Tue Jun 15, 2010 12:40 pm

Write it.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Tue Jun 15, 2010 12:45 pm

If you feel you bring diversity then write a DS. It may not be helpful, but if well-written it isn't going to hurt you and it is always possible that it will help.

Rock Chalk

Postby Rock Chalk » Tue Jun 15, 2010 12:48 pm

Last edited by Rock Chalk on Thu May 24, 2012 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Canarsie

Postby Canarsie » Tue Jun 15, 2010 1:37 pm

Thanks everyone, I am going to write it now that I know it could possibly be of benefit to me. Is it basically like a second personal statement?

Rock Chalk

Postby Rock Chalk » Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:41 pm

Last edited by Rock Chalk on Thu May 24, 2012 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BizOwner

Postby BizOwner » Wed Jun 16, 2010 6:23 am

And so, should a DS be written for anyone who has a significant "diverse" experience?

My wife is a first generation minority, I am bilingual, and I have spent significant time overseas on 4 different continents experiencing diverse cultures beyond the typical "backpacking Europe for a summer" cliche . Does this warrant a DS or simply worked into a PS?

(Sorry if this is a high jacking post...DS statements in general are not clear to me)

kmap

Postby kmap » Wed Jun 16, 2010 8:00 am

Remember that diversity statements don't have to be just about race, religion, or nationality. They can be about nontraditional upbringings, disability, hardships overcome, etc. Anything that you think gives you a unique perspective to bring to the table and that you haven't covered in your personal essay is fine for a diversity statement. I wrote a very atypical diversity statement about an experience I had that I guarantee nobody else in this cycle did, and it got me into some amazing schools.

Postby 12262010 » Wed Jun 16, 2010 8:12 am

I did a similar one on Sephardic Judaism. I don't think it helped me or hurt me, but for some reason I felt like you were supposed to write one at the time.

Canarsie

Postby Canarsie » Wed Jun 23, 2010 2:56 pm

booyakasha wrote:I did a similar one on Sephardic Judaism. I don't think it helped me or hurt me, but for some reason I felt like you were supposed to write one at the time.

That sounds really interesting and possibly similar to parts of mine. I can't see how a DS can hurt you unless it's about something that will bar you from doing well in school or commiting illegal acts without proof of reform. I don't know how much they really help... probably barely at all. But hey, I could use that "barely"!

dominkay

Postby dominkay » Wed Jun 23, 2010 3:08 pm

Dude, you should totally write a diversity statement. American-born Jews are seriously underrepresented in the legal field. You are so unique!

Xnegd

Postby Xnegd » Wed Jun 23, 2010 3:15 pm

Hey, I have a question about this too.

Do most schools accept a Diversity Statement? I know Indiana requires one, but do most/all schools accept one?

My P.S. talks about my diversity, and I've had a couple people tell me I should take that out and just write a D.S.; however, not knowing which schools accept them I haven't done so yet.

I already have an addendum, would adding a D.S. too give them too much paperwork?

bk1

Postby bk1 » Wed Jun 23, 2010 3:21 pm

Xnegd wrote:Hey, I have a question about this too.

Do most schools accept a Diversity Statement? I know Indiana requires one, but do most/all schools accept one?

My P.S. talks about my diversity, and I've had a couple people tell me I should take that out and just write a D.S.; however, not knowing which schools accept them I haven't done so yet.

I already have an addendum, would adding a D.S. too give them too much paperwork?

If they accept it, might as well write it. IIRC, most schools accept them.

GermX

Postby GermX » Wed Jun 23, 2010 3:35 pm

Being Jewish is helpful.

Xnegd

Postby Xnegd » Wed Jun 23, 2010 3:40 pm

bk1 wrote:
Xnegd wrote:Hey, I have a question about this too.

If they accept it, might as well write it. IIRC, most schools accept them.

Thanks!

manbearwig

Postby manbearwig » Wed Jun 23, 2010 4:33 pm

Canarsie wrote:
booyakasha wrote:I did a similar one on Sephardic Judaism. I don't think it helped me or hurt me, but for some reason I felt like you were supposed to write one at the time.

That sounds really interesting and possibly similar to parts of mine. I can't see how a DS can hurt you unless it's about something that will bar you from doing well in school or commiting illegal acts without proof of reform. I don't know how much they really help... probably barely at all. But hey, I could use that "barely"!

I think it could hurt if it's obvious you're just trying to BS your way into being diverse. I didn't write one because I'm simply not that unusual. Female, white, suburban, upper-middle class, Jewish (as in the typical, American "cultural Jew" only going to synagogue for the high holidays), liberal arts school =/= diversity statement material. Trying to claim I'm unique when I'm not would only look bad on me.

Canarsie

Postby Canarsie » Wed Jun 23, 2010 10:58 pm

dominkay wrote:Dude, you should totally write a diversity statement. American-born Ashkenazi Jews are seriously underrepresented in the legal field. You are so unique!

FTFY. But seriously, yes I know. I am not trying to focus on my religion so much as my culture which I feel has shaped the way I am and think, etc. I have yet to meet another person of the same culture as me outside of Israel (which is where most of them currently live, not even in the home country, and certainly not the US). I do think I have some unusual opinions and perspective on some matters and would like to bring that to the table in law school. Thus the DS.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”