Help Needed - Many Questions

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
hokie

Help Needed - Many Questions

Postby hokie » Tue Jun 15, 2010 2:12 am

Last edited by hokie on Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

xyzzzzzzzz

Re: Help Needed - Many Questions

Postby xyzzzzzzzz » Tue Jun 15, 2010 2:48 am

Last edited by xyzzzzzzzz on Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

calicocat

Postby calicocat » Tue Jun 15, 2010 3:24 am

hokie wrote:Hello everyone, I am new to posting but have been lurking around on the site for a few months now. First, I would like to thank everybody who have taken the time to post such great information online (such as Pithypike's study guide); it has helped me tremendously in my decision/preparation for attending law school. I am a recent college graduate (May 2009) and plan on applying to the law school for the Fall 2011. In my preparation of my applications (as my current job makes it impossible to do anything for the summer), I had several questions that I am hoping some of you could chime in on:

1. Ideally I would like to have two academic recommendations and 1 professional recommendation. I do not feel completely comfortable asking my current employer for a recommendation (as I have been working less than a year and I feel it would create tension in the workplace). Would you guys recommend getting a recommendation from a colleague? We are essentially equal in position but he has seniority and has been with the organization 6+ years.

You really only need two academic recommendations. Don't stretch it for another one from someone you are unsure of. A colleague is not an appropriate recommendation and won't help your app.

hokie wrote:2. I have several "notable" pre-UG accomplishments that I feel could potentially spice up my resume. More specifically, I earned my black belt in taekwondo when I was fifth grade (and have not been active in nearly 10 years) and won a somewhat well-known regional golf tournament during high school. Should I included any of these at all or would it just look foolish?

no. (as in: don't do it)

hokie wrote:3. My first semester at UG was horrendous (1.9 :shock: ), mainly due to immaturity (some partying involved) as well as disinterest in my current major at the time. In addition, my last semester of senior year was pretty bad as well (2.8) due to my parents separating and I was caring for my mother while attending school (did fairly well in between; ended up with a 3.3 overall). Should I add an addendum at all explaining one/both of my low GPA instances? I feel that my reasoning senior year is something that I should explain but did not want if explaining the first instance hurts me more than it helps me.

I don't know if writing an addendum for immaturity is necessary. That is what they assume to begin with. If you have a legit reason for your low gpa then let them know about it. If not, they will see the upward trend and make their own inferences.

shoop

Postby shoop » Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:47 am

Once you step onto your undergrad campus at the tender age of 18, everything you did in high school (and earlier) ceases to matter. No one gives a fuck what you did 10-20 years ago. I was a figurative rockstar in high school and believe me... I wish I could use my high school resume instead of my college/adult one for law school (at least in terms of sheer amount of shit accomplished), but, because I would prefer adcomms not laugh hysterically as they shred my apps, I can't. Tough titties.

hokie

Postby hokie » Tue Jun 15, 2010 5:23 pm

thank you very much for all of your replies. The answers were pretty much what I had suspected....I just wanted to confirm my suspicions. I'm hoping to get all of my application "paperwork" done so that I can strictly focus on the LSAT after the summer. I am just hoping that I can truly cram-study for the LSAT in one month while working... :?

flyingpanda

Postby flyingpanda » Tue Jun 15, 2010 5:32 pm

hokie wrote:thank you very much for all of your replies. The answers were pretty much what I had suspected....I just wanted to confirm my suspicions. I'm hoping to get all of my application "paperwork" done so that I can strictly focus on the LSAT after the summer. I am just hoping that I can truly cram-study for the LSAT in one month while working... :?

Yeah...no.

xyzzzzzzzz

Postby xyzzzzzzzz » Tue Jun 15, 2010 6:09 pm

Last edited by xyzzzzzzzz on Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hokie

Postby hokie » Tue Jun 15, 2010 6:37 pm

xyzzzzzzzz wrote:
hokie wrote:I am just hoping that I can truly cram-study for the LSAT in one month while working... :?

really, don't do that to yourself. it will not end well.

Yea, I know it is not nearly enough time to prepare myself. However, I consider myself a dreamer, an optimist, and a great cram-studier....so hopefully I'll be able to pull close to the 170+ mark :mrgreen:

In addition, I failed to mention that I had originally studied for the LSAT on/off junior year in college with thoughts of attending law school straight out of UG. However, due to family situations, I decided to postpone law school and work for a few years after college. All in all, I have take 6 practice tests in the last few weeks and have averaged around 167 (raw score generally ranging from 82-84). My goal is to hopefully get this up to about a 173 average in one month.....I would love tips/experiences from people who have overcome and achieved similar success!

hsprophet

Postby hsprophet » Wed Jun 16, 2010 8:57 am

1. I've been out of ungrad for 8 years and grad school for 6. I didn't get any academic recommendations. The time period is just too long for any of my professors to really remember me well. I got one letter from a close friend who is an attorney who has done legal work for me, and my second letter was from a colleague whose position is equal to mine with the same level of seniority. It worked out fine for me. Since you haven't been out of ungrad for very long, you need two letters from professors. In my opinion a letter from the colleague won't hurt, but I'd only include it for the schools that accept 3 letters.

katie90

Postby katie90 » Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:14 pm

For the record, it sounds like you are taking old practice tests. On the most recent tests an 82-84 raw score would be more like a 163-165. Just make sure to keep that in mind when you are studying.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”