Is Ageism an issue in Law School?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Maalik

Is Ageism an issue in Law School?

Postby Maalik » Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:00 pm

I researched quite a bit but, I figured I would be best served asking this question here.

I know in terms of Business School, there's a sweetspot of a few years (24 - 26 y/o) when it's most feasible to begin matriculation, with there being a bias against those outside of that age group. Does this problem exist in Law School? Is it better to go directly after undergrad? Would one be at a disadvantage if he worked for a few years? Is there a cutoff age where admission to a T-14 becomes difficult, as well as placement in BigLaw?

romothesavior

Re: Is Ageism an issue in Law School?

Postby romothesavior » Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:03 pm

--ImageRemoved--

SICK!!! Old people!

But seriously, the only reason where I think ageism may be a factor in law school is in bonding with your peers if you are married with kids or something. But in that case, I think it would be less because you are older and more because you are preoccupied with other priorities.

How old are you? Law students come in all ages, so I'm sure there will be other people in your class who are around the same age as you. I've never seen anything that suggests that older people struggle finding jobs, but I think in most cases, it is clear that WE is a plus.

Postby 09042014 » Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:06 pm

Maalik wrote:I researched quite a bit but, I figured I would be best served asking this question here.

I know in terms of Business School, there's a sweetspot of a few years (24 - 26 y/o) when it's most feasible to begin matriculation, with there being a bias against those outside of that age group. Does this problem exist in Law School? Is it better to go directly after undergrad? Would one be at a disadvantage if he worked for a few years? Is there a cutoff age where admission to a T-14 becomes difficult, as well as placement in BigLaw?

Northwestern claims it an advantage in hiring to be a few years older.

I'm glad because everyone there seems cool, and at ASW the number of douchy undergrads was zero.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:09 pm

<3 you too DF

(<------- Douchey Undergrad)

nealric

Postby nealric » Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:12 pm

In terms of getting in there isn't any bias. As long as you have the numbers, it's all good.

In terms of biglaw, it's usually fine as long as you aren't older than early 30s. Beyond that can get iffy- especially if you look older.

gwuorbust

Postby gwuorbust » Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:26 pm

I think that in terms of ageism, I believe that I felt a bit of reverse-ageism in applying to PT programs. Being only 20 I feel that adcomm's didn't give my apps to PT programs the same review as older candidates. For my apps to FT programs, however, my cycle went almost exactly as my numbers said it should.

only time will tell how I fare at the OCI.

Tave

Postby Tave » Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:28 pm

If you're in your late 30's-40's, my guess is you won't spend much time with your younger classmates outside of school, but then again you probably wouldn't want to.

A few years is nothing. Your friends will like to tease you about how old you are, but it'll all be in good fun.

I think it's hilarious when me and my roommates go out and they're intimidated talking to "older" women (girls in their late-20s).

My friends are all a mix between people around my age (26) and people straight out of undergrad. One or two are even older. Pretty much a microcosm of the school's demographics.

I can't imagine employers care one way or the other. If anything I'd assume graduates with a few years under their belts have an easier time relating/talking to them.

I was surprised when I came to school. I figured it would be mostly 22-year olds and a few older students pulling up the average, but my "age group" (I don't consider 3-4 years to mean anything--product of getting older I guess) is really common.
Last edited by Tave on Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cosmo Kramer

Postby Cosmo Kramer » Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:30 pm

If it is, here's your solution-

--ImageRemoved--

Icculus

Postby Icculus » Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:32 pm

nealric wrote:In terms of getting in there isn't any bias. As long as you have the numbers, it's all good.

In terms of biglaw, it's usually fine as long as you aren't older than early 30s. Beyond that can get iffy- especially if you look older.

When you say early 30's, how early? If all goes according to plan, I will kill the LSAT in October and will graduate when I'm 34. Would this be too old to be hired? I have no problems with long hours, and I think my work experience would help me in a new career.

Sauer Grapes

Postby Sauer Grapes » Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:39 pm

romothesavior wrote:<3 you too DF

Fixed. Besides, you weren't at NU's ASW to meet DF, so you wouldn't count for one of those he met at ASW.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:42 pm

Sauer Grapes wrote:
romothesavior wrote:<3 you too DF

Fixed. Besides, you weren't at NU's ASW to meet DF, so you wouldn't count for one of those he met at ASW.

Sauer, that is the nicest compliment I have ever gotten on TLS. :D

Postby 20160810 » Tue Jun 15, 2010 4:11 am

I have noticed that an overwhelming majority of the much older (40+) students I've met in UG and LS are a bit hard to deal with. They tend to be getting the education for their own enrichment, of a similar age as the prof, and seem to feel much more willing to talk in class. Not gunning per se, just asking a lot of self-indulgent questions that belong in office hours or, worse, just offering their own wisdom or fond memories of the Carter Administration.

KMaine

Postby KMaine » Tue Jun 15, 2010 5:31 am

Older rising 2L here - First of all, SBL, I could not agree with you more. That was my experience with older students as an undergrad as well. I have tried to avoid that cliche myself. I think my classmates would agree that I was successful in that.

I do not believe there is ageism in admissions. My status did not hurt me, though I honestly believe it did not help me either.

As for hiring, I am mid-30s and gunning for Biglaw. I will let you know if I think age is a factor after Fall Recruiting. Career Services did not seem to think it would be a problem when I asked point-blank (I am "old" but not "that old" - maybe I don't look too old, who knows). In any case, I would think that they would try to keep my expectations low if expectations should be low. Also, a student at my school much older than I with a millitary background got several offers last year.

Mickey Quicknumbers

Postby Mickey Quicknumbers » Tue Jun 15, 2010 5:40 am

I hope not. I'm 21 years old, look 17, and act 14.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”