What should I do in college?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
theLastZion

Re: What should I do in college?

Postby theLastZion » Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:23 am

SoftBoiledLife wrote:Make sure to join a fraternity and assume a crucial leadership role, such as historian or philanthropy chair. Holding this kind of position demonstrates leadership and is considered a very strong "soft factor," virtually guaranteeing you admission at an elite law school.

LOL, looking back on it I can't believe we actually had these positions in my fraternity... Then again, a lot of the things we did didn't really make any sense...

JOThompson

Postby JOThompson » Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:37 am

Find an interesting extracurricular activity and stick with it. Speech and debate come to mind.

thecilent

Postby thecilent » Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:44 am

SoftBoiledLife wrote:Make sure to join a fraternity and assume a crucial leadership role, such as historian or philanthropy chair. Holding this kind of position demonstrates leadership and is considered a very strong "soft factor," virtually guaranteeing you admission at an elite law school.

How is this helpful? OP is actually trying to get good information. And prob takes what you say more seriously because you're a mod. Great job

cavebat2000

Postby cavebat2000 » Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:51 am

Pick a field of study that interests you. Get really good grades. Do some volunteer, organizational, or community work. Study really hard for LSAT the summer between your junior and senior year. Ace LSAT. Profit.

cavebat2000

Postby cavebat2000 » Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:52 am

Cilent21 wrote:

How is this helpful? OP is actually trying to get good information. And prob takes what you say more seriously because you're a mod. Great job

Joining a fraternity is ONE way of getting some softs and I suspect there are some way better options.

BaiAilian2013

Postby BaiAilian2013 » Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:50 am

Keep your grades up from day 1. Just one C or B- will sink your GPA into a hole that you will never fully climb out of. You have an advantage over most of your peers in that you know how much your cumulative GPA is going to matter to the rest of your life - so use it.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:53 am

BaiAilian2013 wrote:Keep your grades up from day 1. Just one C or B- will sink your GPA into a hole that you will never fully climb out of. You have an advantage over most of your peers in that you know how much your cumulative GPA is going to matter to the rest of your life - so use it.

I agree with the overall sentiment, but this isn't really true. I graduated with a 3.8 and I had quite a few Bs and even one B-. You could get a C in a class and still graduate summa cum laude without too much trouble..

JOThompson

Postby JOThompson » Tue Jun 15, 2010 12:16 pm

romothesavior wrote:
BaiAilian2013 wrote:Keep your grades up from day 1. Just one C or B- will sink your GPA into a hole that you will never fully climb out of. You have an advantage over most of your peers in that you know how much your cumulative GPA is going to matter to the rest of your life - so use it.

I agree with the overall sentiment, but this isn't really true. I graduated with a 3.8 and I had quite a few Bs and even one B-. You could get a C in a class and still graduate summa cum laude without too much trouble..

+1

I had one B+ and even two Cs in my college career and still graduated magna cum laude.

BaiAilian2013

Postby BaiAilian2013 » Tue Jun 15, 2010 1:22 pm

JOThompson wrote:
romothesavior wrote:

+1

I had one B+ and even two Cs in my college career and still graduated magna cum laude.

I guess I should have specified what I meant by a hole. A couple of bad grades won't give you an objectively bad GPA, but they will do damage that can never be undone, which is frustrating once you know what you were actually capable of - even if the difference is small.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Tue Jun 15, 2010 1:31 pm

BaiAilian2013 wrote:
JOThompson wrote:
romothesavior wrote:

+1

I guess I should have specified what I meant by a hole. A couple of bad grades won't give you an objectively bad GPA, but they will do damage that can never be undone, which is frustrating once you know what you were actually capable of - even if the difference is small.

I'll agree with this. I had one bad semester and it likely cost me ~5,000-10,000 in scholarship money. Shouldn't have slacked so much.

Postby 20160810 » Tue Jun 15, 2010 3:32 pm

Cilent21 wrote:

1.) There's not a lot of good information to be had. Get good grades? Do well on the LSAT? I'm pretty sure he had that part figured out.

2.) He should take seriously the fact that his question isn't being taken seriously. There is no magic bullet thing an 18 year old kid can do to get into law school. He should be having fun, meeting friends, and discovering whether or not he even wants to study the law 4+ years from now.

thecilent

Postby thecilent » Tue Jun 15, 2010 4:38 pm

SoftBoiledLife wrote:
Cilent21 wrote:

1.) There's not a lot of good information to be had. Get good grades? Do well on the LSAT? I'm pretty sure he had that part figured out.

2.) He should take seriously the fact that his question isn't being taken seriously. There is no magic bullet thing an 18 year old kid can do to get into law school. He should be having fun, meeting friends, and discovering whether or not he even wants to study the law 4+ years from now.

Agreed. And I bet he now will take a lot out of your post

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Tue Jun 15, 2010 4:41 pm

Cilent21 wrote:Agreed. And I bet he now will take a lot out of your post

If he takes a lot out of that post, then I doubt he'd do too well on the LSAT.

Besides, joining a fraternity is TCR.

thecilent

Postby thecilent » Tue Jun 15, 2010 4:44 pm

romothesavior wrote:
Cilent21 wrote:Agreed. And I bet he now will take a lot out of your post

If he takes a lot out of that post, then I doubt he'd do too well on the LSAT.

Besides, joining a fraternity is TCR.

SoftBoiledLife wrote:1.) There's not a lot of good information to be had. Get good grades? Do well on the LSAT?

??

utswdukie80

Postby utswdukie80 » Tue Jun 15, 2010 4:46 pm

Do NOT get into a relationship of any kind. If you're already in one get out. Date (sleep with) as many women as possible while you're in college. Don't tie yourself down with one woman and look back and regret all of the fun (read: women) you missed out on because you were stuck with some chick.

Moxie

Postby Moxie » Tue Jun 15, 2010 4:48 pm

Get good grades (and major in something that interests you). Join some extracurricular activities that also interest you.

But most importantly, have as much fun as possible without making disastrous life decisions.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Tue Jun 15, 2010 4:52 pm

Cilent21 wrote:??

Which post are you referring to? SBL's first one? Like I said, if he takes a lot out of that... then sarcasm fail.

But yeah, his second is credited.

Good grades + good LSAT + parties + chicks + video games + pizza = Undergrad WIN

thecilent

Postby thecilent » Tue Jun 15, 2010 5:20 pm

romothesavior wrote:
Cilent21 wrote:??

Which post are you referring to? SBL's first one? Like I said, if he takes a lot out of that... then sarcasm fail.

But yeah, his second is credited.

Good grades + good LSAT + parties + chicks + video games + pizza = Undergrad WIN

We've got a consensus. Yayy

OIF2LAW

Postby OIF2LAW » Tue Jun 15, 2010 5:30 pm

Precognition wrote:I'm an incoming freshman at Hofstra University. That's right, I'm not even in undergraduate school yet.

But I am excited nevertheless. I was a horrible student in high school right around the end of sophomore year when I rapidly started improving. Unfortunately for me it was too late to pull of a 1st tier school, but luckily enough I was admitted to Hofstra University, a very decent college(at least, by my standards). But law school offers me the opportunity to redeem myself and gives me a chance to prove myself worthy enough of a T14 graduate school.

Problematically, I filled out my FAFSA application very late and haven't received my final financial statement yet.

As an entering freshman, is there any advice on how to prepare my self for law school admissions?

I know most of you will say it's too early, but as a reformed delinquent I discovered that having astronomically high ambitions can get you very far in this world, even if it's not as far as you fantasized yourself getting.

major in basket weaving, cloud watching, or something equivalent. Get a 4.0 and then study for the LSAT. With a 4.0 gpa, you should shoot for a 165 on the LSAT or higher. Next, hire a professional to search your family's lineage to locate a relative who has been addicted to drugs, died unexpectedly, or was homeless. Write about this in your PS and how it has influenced your decision to study law. No doubt, you will get accepted to a T14.

jms1987

Postby jms1987 » Tue Jun 15, 2010 6:04 pm

DON'T SLACK! I did early and paid the price with my crap GPA. Even when you have tedious core classes, try your best to pull that A. I literally will be fighting to pull up my GPA over the 2-2,5 years I have left in UG. Start off right and finish strong.

tikiman6

Postby tikiman6 » Thu Jun 17, 2010 7:49 pm

Join some clubs you think could be interesting - great way to meet friends outside the dorms. Get into leadership in boring clubs that look nice on resumes. Get good grades. Do something distinguishing that you can lean on later. Mostly though, enjoy the best four(five?) years of your life....

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”