Requesting Fee Waivers?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
lsatextreme
Posts: 523
Joined: Thu Sep 24, 2009 2:18 am

Requesting Fee Waivers?

Postby lsatextreme » Mon Jun 14, 2010 12:58 pm

I know this is fairly early in the game but I really want to make sure I have all my apps lined up and ready to go as soon as apps are open as I had to defer from last year's cycle due to poor preparation, etc. I remember last year I had requested a decent amount of waivers from schools but it was already into the cycle (maybe around November?) and I have no experience with requesting waivers before applications are due or even the week the applications are open. I guess what I'm wondering is, has anyone had success in the past at requesting and receiving either need or merit based fee waivers BEFORE the applications were starting to be accepted? I do not qualify for the LSDAS fee waiver btw so I've had to explain my personal circumstances and such last year.

User avatar
Canarsie
Posts: 137
Joined: Sat May 29, 2010 3:41 pm

Re: Requesting Fee Waivers?

Postby Canarsie » Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:42 pm

I don't know the answer, sorry. But I was curious as to how you acquired fee waivers. I'm in the process of applying for the LSAC waiver but I'm not sure how that's going to work... very hopeful. Did you explain your financial situation to each school? Did you try to get waivers based on merit as well? PM me if you'd like, thanks.

User avatar
MoS
Posts: 404
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 10:59 pm

Re: Requesting Fee Waivers?

Postby MoS » Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:50 pm

Okay there are two ways to solicit a fee waiver.

Option 1: Get the paperwork from LSAC for income based fee waivers. LSAC will waive their $12 fee for quite a few applications. Most schools will automatically waive their fee to those with LSAC fee waivers.

Option 2: Send an email to the admissions department and ask for a fee waiver. Tell them your LSAT score and GPA if they are good, why you are interested in the school (briefly), and tell them why you would like a fee waiver (if you have a reason like financial difficulty). Some schools like UVA and WashU hand out fee waivers to almost anyone who asks for one.

User avatar
Richie Tenenbaum
Posts: 2162
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2008 6:17 am

Re: Requesting Fee Waivers?

Postby Richie Tenenbaum » Tue Jun 15, 2010 12:00 am

lsatextreme wrote:I know this is fairly early in the game but I really want to make sure I have all my apps lined up and ready to go as soon as apps are open as I had to defer from last year's cycle due to poor preparation, etc. I remember last year I had requested a decent amount of waivers from schools but it was already into the cycle (maybe around November?) and I have no experience with requesting waivers before applications are due or even the week the applications are open. I guess what I'm wondering is, has anyone had success in the past at requesting and receiving either need or merit based fee waivers BEFORE the applications were starting to be accepted? I do not qualify for the LSDAS fee waiver btw so I've had to explain my personal circumstances and such last year.


I started sending out fee waiver requests mid-August last year (most apps become available between Aug 1st and Sept 1st). Most schools responded back within a week or two. Some schools told me that it was too early and to ask again later.

User avatar
goawaybee
Posts: 114
Joined: Sun May 16, 2010 11:20 pm

Re: Requesting Fee Waivers?

Postby goawaybee » Tue Jun 15, 2010 12:03 am

Ethics ?

Let's say on paper you are broke, earnings of less than 1k a year for the last two years, would you go the fee waiver route?

Even if you had the coin?

I got stuck on this and just pay for everything b/c for some reason I feel guilty, but I know there are many who would capitalize if they were rockin' my zapatos...

User avatar
Richie Tenenbaum
Posts: 2162
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2008 6:17 am

Re: Requesting Fee Waivers?

Postby Richie Tenenbaum » Tue Jun 15, 2010 12:06 am

goawaybee wrote:Ethics ?

Let's say on paper you are broke, earnings of less than 1k a year for the last two years, would you go the fee waiver route?

Even if you had the coin?

I got stuck on this and just pay for everything b/c for some reason I feel guilty, but I know there are many who would capitalize if they were rockin' my zapatos...


How about just sending requests based on merit?

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11725
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: Requesting Fee Waivers?

Postby kalvano » Tue Jun 15, 2010 12:17 am

Just ask for fee waivers. It's not hard.


Dear Office of Admissions -

I will be applying to law school for the entering class of 2010 and would like to be considered for a merit-based fee waiver.  I am especially interested in XXXXX and would greatly appreciate any financial assistance you could provide. To assist with this process, I have included my information below.  Thank you for your time and consideration.

Sincerely,
Kal V. Ano, Esq.






It worked at most schools. Some state schools it didn't, but oh well.
Last edited by kalvano on Tue Jun 15, 2010 12:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
MoS
Posts: 404
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 10:59 pm

Re: Requesting Fee Waivers?

Postby MoS » Tue Jun 15, 2010 12:18 am

Oh and include your lsac number.

User avatar
goawaybee
Posts: 114
Joined: Sun May 16, 2010 11:20 pm

Re: Requesting Fee Waivers?

Postby goawaybee » Tue Jun 15, 2010 12:40 am

Merit. simple as that.

I was always under the impression that this whole LSAC/APP. fee thing was driven by financial need. Thank you for the education all. Moments like this make me feel a tad slow in the brain dept. but knowledge gain that can be applied is always a fantastic thing to gain.

Mil gracias.

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: Requesting Fee Waivers?

Postby romothesavior » Tue Jun 15, 2010 12:43 am

goawaybee wrote:Merit. simple as that.

I was always under the impression that this whole LSAC/APP. fee thing was driven by financial need. Thank you for the education all. Moments like this make me feel a tad slow in the brain dept. but knowledge gain that can be applied is always a fantastic thing to gain.

Mil gracias.


No worries, I remember the cluelessness I felt a year ago too. But seriously, this forum is the best place in the world for all things admissions related.

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11725
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: Requesting Fee Waivers?

Postby kalvano » Tue Jun 15, 2010 12:47 am

romothesavior wrote:
goawaybee wrote:Merit. simple as that.

I was always under the impression that this whole LSAC/APP. fee thing was driven by financial need. Thank you for the education all. Moments like this make me feel a tad slow in the brain dept. but knowledge gain that can be applied is always a fantastic thing to gain.

Mil gracias.


No worries, I remember the cluelessness I felt a year ago too. But seriously, this forum is the best place in the world for all things admissions related.




He's lying. It's actually the third-best.

User avatar
Canarsie
Posts: 137
Joined: Sat May 29, 2010 3:41 pm

Re: Requesting Fee Waivers?

Postby Canarsie » Tue Jun 15, 2010 2:22 pm

kalvano wrote:Just ask for fee waivers. It's not hard.


This is precisely what I plan to do. I don't think I would have ever thought of doing this (based on merit) before TLS so I am extremely grateful for such good advice!




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: KPUSN07, NavyNuke, Poplar7spruce, vintageblazers and 4 guests