Early Commitment?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Barbie

Early Commitment?

Postby Barbie » Sun Jun 13, 2010 6:54 pm

What schools do early commitment? Or does anyone have a story/experience to share regarding early commitment?

xyzzzzzzzz

Re: Early Commitment?

Postby xyzzzzzzzz » Sun Jun 13, 2010 7:46 pm

Last edited by xyzzzzzzzz on Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Sun Jun 13, 2010 7:49 pm

xyzzzzzzzz wrote:do you mean EA OR ED? And what tier are we talking?

any of the above, I suppose. I'm just curious. Heard about it for the first time recently.

sumus romani

Postby sumus romani » Sun Jun 13, 2010 8:09 pm

What you are looking for, I believe, is better known as "early decision". There is also such a thing as "early action", but given your use of 'commitment', you must want early decision. With early decision since a decision on the school's part to admit you commits you to go to that school, it is said to be binding. Early action on the other hand, just involves applying early with the school promising to get back to you early, and is not binding. You can use the search function through this site and it'll help a bit.

As for a list, well, a lot of schools do it. All of the top 14 except for Yale, Harvard and Stanford do it. Also, a bunch of schools in the 15-30 range do it too. You could probably find a list with deadlines on this site (at least last cycles) if you searched hard and long enough. But I just don't know anything outside the top 14. Good luck.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Sun Jun 13, 2010 8:17 pm

OP, only do a binding early decision if:

1. You are absolutely in love with the school and would go there without hesitation if admitted.
A lot of people do an ED and then realize they made a big mistake. Perhaps they get into a higher ranked school right around the same time as they get admitted to their ED school, or perhaps they realize they would have rather gone to school for free at a lower ranked school. Well, if you've already been admitted to your ED school, then you're too late. You either go to the ED school, or you sit out a year.

2. You don't mind paying sticker.
Getting merit scholarship money is very rare from an ED acceptance. For one thing, most ED applicants were on the borderline as it is, so they would be unlikely to get much anyways. Second, you have already committed to go to their school. Why would they feel any need to give you scholarship money to lure you there?

3. You don't think you would get into the school without an ED.
If your numbers are a near lock to get into the school, do not ED there. Per my second point, you will likely not get as much financial aid after you get in. You would be better served not applying early decision to this school, even if it is your dream school, so that you can leverage other acceptances and try to negotiate for more scholly money.

Personally, I appled ED to Michigan (168/3.76) and was deferred to regular decision, and then waitlisted. I am still on the waitlist and hopeful that I'll get off (I'm wearing my Michigan Law t-shirt right now), but it is an uphill battle. I definitely made the right decision ED-ing to Michigan, as my odds of acceptance were small and Michigan was my best shot at the T10. My numbers are marginal at Michigan, so the ED could have given me a boost, and I'm still in the game.

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Sun Jun 13, 2010 8:35 pm

Thanks. Currently my numbers are pretty bad, my GPA is a 3.14, but I am petitioning my school to have a semester removed from my transcripts for medical reasons which would bring me back to about a 3.4. My LSAT will be determined by the June test... but because of my low GPA I was advised (If I do well on the LSAT) to try to do the ED approach. Depending on my numbers, my top choice is Alabama. If I pull just at or shy of a 160, it only says "Consider" on lawschoolpredictor, but again I don't even know if Alabama does ED. Guess I need to do more research and hope for a good LSAT!

malfurion

Postby malfurion » Sun Jun 13, 2010 10:40 pm

This site has a nice chart that, among other things, shows the ED/EA options available at each school. I've found it pretty handy. As far as I can tell, Alabama does not have any sort of ED or EA admissions, though.

--LinkRemoved--

xyzzzzzzzz

Postby xyzzzzzzzz » Sun Jun 13, 2010 10:54 pm

Last edited by xyzzzzzzzz on Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bestusernameever

Postby bestusernameever » Sun Jun 13, 2010 11:20 pm

darby girl wrote:Thanks. Currently my numbers are pretty bad, my GPA is a 3.14, but I am petitioning my school to have a semester removed from my transcripts for medical reasons which would bring me back to about a 3.4. My LSAT will be determined by the June test... but because of my low GPA I was advised (If I do well on the LSAT) to try to do the ED approach. Depending on my numbers, my top choice is Alabama. If I pull just at or shy of a 160, it only says "Consider" on lawschoolpredictor, but again I don't even know if Alabama does ED. Guess I need to do more research and hope for a good LSAT!

I ended up in the hospital the night before an econ final and was way too tired the next day to show up. I ended up getting a D in the class but managed to get a doctor to write a letter to the Dean, explaining I had a way worse condition than I did. I ended up that entire class removed from my transcript. Just gotta take advantage of the doc notes (only half joking) Good luck. You will have a much better shot with a 3.4 as oppose to a 3.1

Postby 09042014 » Sun Jun 13, 2010 11:33 pm

darby girl wrote:Thanks. Currently my numbers are pretty bad, my GPA is a 3.14, but I am petitioning my school to have a semester removed from my transcripts for medical reasons which would bring me back to about a 3.4. My LSAT will be determined by the June test... but because of my low GPA I was advised (If I do well on the LSAT) to try to do the ED approach. Depending on my numbers, my top choice is Alabama. If I pull just at or shy of a 160, it only says "Consider" on lawschoolpredictor, but again I don't even know if Alabama does ED. Guess I need to do more research and hope for a good LSAT!

You need a 165 for Alabama, no need for ED.

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Mon Jun 14, 2010 12:02 am

bestusernameever wrote:

I ended up in the hospital the night before an econ final and was way too tired the next day to show up. I ended up getting a D in the class but managed to get a doctor to write a letter to the Dean, explaining I had a way worse condition than I did. I ended up that entire class removed from my transcript. Just gotta take advantage of the doc notes (only half joking) Good luck. You will have a much better shot with a 3.4 as oppose to a 3.1

Yeah I'm hoping to get an entire semester removed. It's a little late, but it turns out I had a malignant ependymoma (rare tumor) and I spent 2 months in the hospital for it's removal and then treatments and so forth, but I'm an idiot and didn't medically withdrawal immediately and remained in my courses. Anyways, glad it worked out for you!!! Hope it does for me too :)

xyzzzzzzzz

Postby xyzzzzzzzz » Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:14 pm

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:17 pm

xyzzzzzzzz wrote:,

Why are you going thru and deleting all of your posts?

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Fri Jul 09, 2010 2:39 am

romothesavior wrote:
xyzzzzzzzz wrote:,

Why are you going thru and deleting all of your posts?

lol sketchyyyy

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”