Applying ED and $$$?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )

Applying ED and $$$?

Postby wadeny » Sun Jun 13, 2010 6:11 pm

This topic has probably been brought up before, but does applying ED always limit your chances for scholarship $$$?

Since most schools seem to lure in applicants with high GPAs/LSATs by offering scholarships, it makes sense that these schools would have little incentive to give $$$ to ED applicants, who are accepted and have to attend regardless of money. I was curious, though, to see if this was true at some places or pretty much everywhere. I know UVA, for instance, has a somewhat unusual ED process with a much later deadline than other schools, so it might be different there? Any personal experiences with this would be really helpful. Thanks.

Re: Applying ED and $$$?

Postby PrayingforHYS » Mon Jun 14, 2010 12:26 am

you're pretty much correct. schools that accept you ED have no incentive to give you money -- in fact, in most cases, those applying ED to a school are slight or big reaches, so, often, the best they hope for is to be admitted and pay sticker.

I'm not saying that you can't ED somewhere and get money, but it's just not likely.

Re: Applying ED and $$$?

Postby AngryAvocado » Mon Jun 14, 2010 1:24 am

Yes, a couple schools have been known to throw an EDer a bone here and there (like UVA), but don't count on it. If you're weighing whether to ED somewhere, just do yourself a favor and assume that you won't be getting money.

As a sort of aside, I happen to think the whole "give money to a couple EDers who would've gotten in anyhow" is more of a ploy to make it appear as though EDers still have a legitimate shot at money, but that's another issue.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”