The Mindset of a Modern Day OL

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
TTTGrad

The Mindset of a Modern Day OL

Postby TTTGrad » Sun Jun 13, 2010 1:44 am

As an attorney with over 15 years of legal experience, I have witnessed firsthand the decline of legal talent in the past 12 years. Law schools are graduating garbage these days. Law school has clearly become a business and the quality of lawyers has declined so much so that firms prefer to pay pennies on the dollar for an attorney in India to do the work a law grad in America would do because the quality of work product is almost similar and in some cases superior. Today, kids are becoming lawyers for the wrong reasons (e.g., "passion for law," "love for law," "love to argue," "models & bottles," etc.). I realize times are tough but escaping the reality of an economic recession by going to law school is not only a cowardly move, but also a financially unsound one. If you kids want to go into a career that is no longer prestigious and is difficult to break into (thanks to law firms downsizing, offshore outsourcing of legal work, etc.), be my guest. I couldn't understand why most OLs have the lemming mindset until I came across this NPR story. Most of you kids are nothing more than the Ryan Kams of the world.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/stor ... =127601863
Last edited by TTTGrad on Sun Jun 13, 2010 1:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

MusicNutMeggie

Re: The Mindset of a Modern Day OL

Postby MusicNutMeggie » Sun Jun 13, 2010 1:50 am

I hate to feed the troll, but...seriously, you need a new hobby.

Cleareyes

Postby Cleareyes » Sun Jun 13, 2010 1:52 am

TTTGrad wrote:Today, kids are becoming lawyers for the wrong reasons (e.g., "passion for law," "love for law," "love to argue," "models & bottles," etc.).

I'm kind of interested as to what the 'right' reason for becoming a lawyer would be.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Sun Jun 13, 2010 1:54 am

Thanks for telling me my mindset. Makes less work for me in the mornings.

Richie Tenenbaum

Postby Richie Tenenbaum » Sun Jun 13, 2010 1:56 am

Cleareyes wrote:
TTTGrad wrote:Today, kids are becoming lawyers for the wrong reasons (e.g., "passion for law," "love for law," "love to argue," "models & bottles," etc.).

I'm kind of interested as to what the 'right' reason for becoming a lawyer would be.

Trick question obv...there is no good reason. The law profession is dead, we all just need to move on.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Sun Jun 13, 2010 2:00 am

Thank God I have prostitution to fall back on.

Cleareyes

Postby Cleareyes » Sun Jun 13, 2010 2:03 am

Richie Tenenbaum wrote:
Cleareyes wrote:

Trick question obv...there is no good reason. The law profession is dead, we all just need to move on.

You haven't moved on yet? Harvard is once again ahead of the pack when it comes to legal education and advising. We were discouraged from seeking legal employment for our 1L summers, instead HLS students have been placed in jobs in other industries so we can build resumes that will allow us to get actual jobs after biglaw shuts us out. My best friend is splitting his summer between hand modeling in Tucson and working as a foreman in a zither manufacturing plant just outside of Saskatoon. I got a fellowship to learn winemaking from a blind vintner in upstate New York. Other friends are managing karaoke bars in Kansas City and working for a prefab kiosk construction firm in Carlisle Nebraska. Legal work is considered a last resort and highly discouraged.

Richie Tenenbaum

Postby Richie Tenenbaum » Sun Jun 13, 2010 2:06 am

Cleareyes wrote:
Richie Tenenbaum wrote:
Cleareyes wrote:

You haven't moved on yet? Harvard is once again ahead of the pack when it comes to legal education and advising. We were discouraged from seeking legal employment for our 1L summers, instead HLS students have been placed in jobs in other industries so we can build resumes that will allow us to get actual jobs after biglaw shuts us out. My best friend is splitting his summer between hand modeling in Tucson and working as a foreman in a zither manufacturing plant just outside of Saskatoon. I got a fellowship to learn winemaking from a blind vintner in upstate New York. Other friends are managing karaoke bars in Kansas City and working for a prefab kiosk construction firm in Carlisle Nebraska. Legal work is considered a last resort and highly discouraged.

:lol: :lol:

mallard

Postby mallard » Sun Jun 13, 2010 2:12 am

Cleareyes wrote:
Richie Tenenbaum wrote:
Cleareyes wrote:

LOL.

World B. Free

Postby World B. Free » Sun Jun 13, 2010 2:18 am

TTTGrad wrote:As an attorney with over 15 years of legal experience,I have witnessed firsthand the decline of legal talent in the past 12 years. Law schools are graduating garbage these days. Law school has clearly become a business and the quality of lawyers has declined so much so that firms prefer to pay pennies on the dollar for an attorney in India to do the work a law grad in America would do because the quality of work product is almost similar and in some cases superior. Today, kids are becoming lawyers for the wrong reasons (e.g., "passion for law," "love for law," "love to argue," "models & bottles," etc.). I realize times are tough but escaping the reality of an economic recession by going to law school is not only a cowardly move, but also a financially unsound one. If you kids want to go into a career that is no longer prestigious and is difficult to break into (thanks to law firms downsizing, offshore outsourcing of legal work, etc.), be my guest. I couldn't understand why most OLs have the lemming mindset until I came across this NPR story. Most of you kids are nothing more than the Ryan Kams of the world.

Thanks for your help. I'm just another idiot on this forum but I think it's "0L" (with a zero), instead of "OL" like you have it in your title and your long and insightful paragraph. Maybe my "lemming mindset" wouldn't let me look past that...(?)

Cleareyes

Postby Cleareyes » Sun Jun 13, 2010 2:27 am

mallard wrote:
Cleareyes wrote:
Richie Tenenbaum wrote:

LOL.

Don't worry, buddy, I won't tell anyone about your coveted internship with Raekwon. Wouldn't want news of your debut album, Only Built 4 Skadden Arps featuring guest spots by both The RZA and Eric J. Friedman (First hip hop album to have both artists) to get out before you start the online 'leaks' to build anticipation.

goawaybee

Postby goawaybee » Sun Jun 13, 2010 2:37 am

wonderful thread thus far. Cleareyes, excellent work. I needed this. The job/locations, the album. all genius.

thecilent

Postby thecilent » Sun Jun 13, 2010 11:19 am

World B. Free wrote:
TTTGrad wrote:As an attorney with over 15 years of legal experience,I have witnessed firsthand the decline of legal talent in the past 12 years. Law schools are graduating garbage these days. Law school has clearly become a business and the quality of lawyers has declined so much so that firms prefer to pay pennies on the dollar for an attorney in India to do the work a law grad in America would do because the quality of work product is almost similar and in some cases superior. Today, kids are becoming lawyers for the wrong reasons (e.g., "passion for law," "love for law," "love to argue," "models & bottles," etc.). I realize times are tough but escaping the reality of an economic recession by going to law school is not only a cowardly move, but also a financially unsound one. If you kids want to go into a career that is no longer prestigious and is difficult to break into (thanks to law firms downsizing, offshore outsourcing of legal work, etc.), be my guest. I couldn't understand why most OLs have the lemming mindset until I came across this NPR story. Most of you kids are nothing more than the Ryan Kams of the world.

Thanks for your help. I'm just another idiot on this forum but I think it's "0L" (with a zero), instead of "OL" like you have it in your title and your long and insightful paragraph. Maybe my "lemming mindset" wouldn't let me look past that...(?)

Love this.

Postby 98234872348 » Sun Jun 13, 2010 11:24 am

Cleareyes wrote:
mallard wrote:
Cleareyes wrote:
Richie Tenenbaum wrote:

LOL.

Don't worry, buddy, I won't tell anyone about your coveted internship with Raekwon. Wouldn't want news of your debut album, Only Built 4 Skadden Arps featuring guest spots by both The RZA and Eric J. Friedman (First hip hop album to have both artists) to get out before you start the online 'leaks' to build anticipation.

Am I condemned for patiently awaiting the release of this album?

General Tso

Postby General Tso » Sun Jun 13, 2010 11:27 am

TTTGrad wrote:As an attorney with over 15 years of legal experience, I have witnessed firsthand the decline of legal talent in the past 12 years. Law schools are graduating garbage these days.

Pretty funny since the last time I checked, you had quit the legal sector to become an "electrician" :lol: Apparently your "legal talent" wasn't so hot either.
http://blogs.wsj.com/law/2007/09/27/lea ... b/article/

Sounds like you are the "garbage" of which you complain.

Mike12188

Postby Mike12188 » Sun Jun 13, 2010 11:29 am

Whats an OL??? I've heard of a 0L but not an OL. This guys prob some bum lawyer that lost his job to a recent grad :lol:

Edit: damn I should prob def start reading all replies before I post

Cleareyes

Postby Cleareyes » Sun Jun 13, 2010 11:31 am

Mike12188 wrote:Whats an OL??? I've heard of a 0L but not an OL. This guys prob some bum lawyer that lost his job to a recent grad :lol:

OL=Original Lawster.

Seriously, it isn't that hard to figure out.

General Tso

Postby General Tso » Sun Jun 13, 2010 11:33 am

Mike12188 wrote:Whats an OL??? I've heard of a 0L but not an OL. This guys prob some bum lawyer that lost his job to a recent grad :lol:

Edit: damn I should prob def start reading all replies before I post

His name is Scott Bullock...he reappears on TLS about once every 3-4 months. He graduated from Seton Hall in 2005 and worked for 2 years as a temp at 50k before he quit to become "an electrician." Everything else he says are lies. He'll get banned eventually.

So Scott, what's this I hear about you getting busted at Seton Hall for cheating on your exams? You are garbage...get off your high horse.

OrcinusOrcas

Postby OrcinusOrcas » Sun Jun 13, 2010 11:42 am

YCrevolution

Postby YCrevolution » Sun Jun 13, 2010 12:03 pm

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”