Addendum For Suspension Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )

Silver

Re: Addendum For Suspension

Post by 06132010 » Sat Jun 12, 2010 5:13 pm

if he admits to calling his girlfriend a slut after she cheated the admissions people might conclude that he's a misogynistic douchebag.

Miniver

Bronze

Post by Miniver » Sat Jun 12, 2010 5:15 pm

Last edited by Miniver on Wed Jul 07, 2010 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

anonymousquestion

New

Post by anonymousquestion » Sat Jun 12, 2010 5:16 pm

booyakasha45 wrote:if he admits to calling his girlfriend a slut after she cheated the admissions people might conclude that he's a misogynistic douchebag.
In February of 2009, I had discovered that my girlfriend of two years had been unfaithful, and later referred to her in dishonorable fashion. The Associate Dean of Student Affairs stated that I was in violation of the university’s zero tolerance anti-harassment policy, and suspended me. In the preceding months, I have repaired my standing and reputation at the university, and the very dean who suspended me has written me a letter of recommendation vouching for my character. I am deeply regretful for my actions because of how they represent the university and myself.

Silver

Post by 06132010 » Sat Jun 12, 2010 5:17 pm

Nightrunner wrote:
booyakasha45 wrote:if he admits to calling his girlfriend a slut after she cheated the admissions people might conclude that he's a misogynistic douchebag.
I believe most people would hesitate to go that far. I, for one, would immediately call my girlfriend way more than that.
I'd react much more intensely, but I'd get away with it because I'm a girl :P .

I honestly don't think what he did was a big deal, but he needs to be careful when presenting the details to admissions people, who =/= regular humans.

Miniver

Bronze

Post by Miniver » Sat Jun 12, 2010 5:17 pm

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Montevillian

Bronze

Post by Montevillian » Sat Jun 12, 2010 5:18 pm

anonymousquestion wrote:
In February of 2009, I had discovered that my girlfriend of two years had been unfaithful, and later referred to her in dishonorable fashion. The Associate Dean of Student Affairs stated that I was in violation of the university’s zero tolerance anti-harassment policy, and suspended me. In the preceding months, I have repaired my standing and reputation at the university, and the very dean who suspended me has written me a letter of recommendation vouching for my character. I am deeply regretful for my actions because of how they represent the university and myself.
Do you have another term besides "dishonorable fashion" that you can use?

anonymousquestion

New

Post by anonymousquestion » Sat Jun 12, 2010 5:19 pm

Nightrunner wrote:
I believe most people would hesitate to go that far. I, for one, would immediately call my girlfriend way more than that.
i mean i live with my current girlfriend. that just would not be accurate. all i learned was that a small minority of women are crazy sluts.

but, i do not offend others and am not racist. i would rather schools know what i did, not what i might have done. obviously it was wrong, but it's not because i'm a jerk. it was a college mistake that i believe they can relate to.

anonymousquestion

New

Post by anonymousquestion » Sat Jun 12, 2010 5:19 pm

Montevillian wrote:
anonymousquestion wrote:
i'm open to ideas...

anonymousquestion

New

Post by anonymousquestion » Sat Jun 12, 2010 5:20 pm

Miniver wrote:
anonymousquestion wrote:In February of 2009, I had discovered that my girlfriend of two years had been unfaithful, and later referred to her in dishonorable fashion. The Associate Dean of Student Affairs stated that I was in violation of the university’s zero tolerance anti-harassment policy, and suspended me. In the preceding months, I have repaired my standing and reputation at the university, and the very dean who suspended me has written me a letter of recommendation vouching for my character. I am deeply regretful for my actions because of how they represent the university and myself.
I love it. 8)
in all honesty, how fucked over will i be?

i am debating even disclosing it, because the agreement i signed promised to make it solely an internal issue...

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

yinz

Bronze

Post by yinz » Sat Jun 12, 2010 5:22 pm

anonymousquestion wrote:
In February of 2009, I had discovered that my girlfriend of two years had been unfaithful, and later referred to her in a dishonorable fashion word choice(s). The Associate Dean of Student Affairs stated that I was in violation of the university’s zero tolerance anti-harassment policy, and suspended me. In the preceding* months, I have repaired my standing and reputation at the university, and the very dean who suspended me has written me a letter of recommendation vouching for my character. I am deeply regretful for my actions because of how they represent the university and myself.
*pre·ced·ing   /prɪˈsidɪŋ/ Show Spelled[pri-see-ding] Show IPA
–adjective

Origin:
1485–95; precede + -ing2

—Synonyms
foregoing, prior, former, earlier.

—Antonyms
succeeding, following.

Silver

Post by 06132010 » Sat Jun 12, 2010 5:22 pm

anonymousquestion wrote:
in all honesty, how fucked over will i be?

i am debating even disclosing it, because the agreement i signed promised to make it solely an internal issue...
I think admissions will probably look past it if your grades are good and there are no other red flags about your character in the application. The fact that the dean is willing to vouch for you also helps.

I think any gap in college attendance requires an explanation.

Miniver

Bronze

Post by Miniver » Sat Jun 12, 2010 5:26 pm

Montevillian

Bronze

Post by Montevillian » Sat Jun 12, 2010 5:27 pm

anonymousquestion wrote:
Montevillian wrote:
anonymousquestion wrote:
i'm open to ideas...
"..."been unfaithful. I acted rashly and referred to her in a demeaning way. The Associate..."

Maybe? It's not much better, but maybe a little less flowery.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

anonymousquestion

New

Post by anonymousquestion » Sat Jun 12, 2010 5:31 pm

sorry for all the time i've taken up on here, but here is another go round (draft 12?) i honestly didn't know much about writing these, and what exactly they're for so appreciate all the feedback. additionally, can you guys predict maybe how this looks in juxtaposition with say getting in trouble for smoking "pot." Does the fact I was suspended, and not just on probation make it worse? Do they care about the charge or only what you're charged for?

In February of 2009, I had discovered that my girlfriend of two years had been unfaithful, and acted rashly in referring to her in a demeaning way. The Associate Dean of Student Affairs stated that I was in violation of the university’s zero tolerance anti-harassment policy, and suspended me. Over the past year, I have repaired my standing and reputation at the university, and the very dean who suspended me has written me a letter of recommendation vouching for my character. I am deeply regretful for my actions because of how they represent the university and myself.

xyzzzzzzzz

Bronze

Post by xyzzzzzzzz » Sat Jun 12, 2010 5:33 pm

Last edited by xyzzzzzzzz on Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Miniver

Bronze

Post by Miniver » Sat Jun 12, 2010 5:34 pm

Montevillian

Bronze

Post by Montevillian » Sat Jun 12, 2010 5:36 pm

Nightrunner wrote:What's wrong with "insulted?"
True. It might come off as a little immature, was what I was afraid of, but it certainly is simpler.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

yinz

Bronze

Post by yinz » Sat Jun 12, 2010 5:37 pm

anonymousquestion wrote:sorry for all the time i've taken up on here, but here is another go round (draft 12?) i honestly didn't know much about writing these, and what exactly they're for so appreciate all the feedback. additionally, can you guys predict maybe how this looks in juxtaposition with say getting in trouble for smoking "pot." Does the fact I was suspended, and not just on probation make it worse? Do they care about the charge or only what you're charged for?

In February of 2009, I had discovered that my girlfriend of two years had been unfaithful, and acted rashly in referring to her in a demeaning way. The Associate Dean of Student Affairs stated that I was in violation of the university’s zero tolerance anti-harassment policy, remove comma; read elements of legal style, p. 18 2.4 and suspended me. Over the past year, I have repaired my standing and reputation at the university, and the very same dean who suspended me has since written me a letter of recommendation vouching for my character. I am deeply regretful for my actions because of how they represent the university and myself.
It's difficult to say which is more egregious (misogyny or weed) because most adcoms are late-twenty-somethings or adcom-careerist women. In all honesty, I'll think you'll do fine if you take responsibility for it, have a press conference a la Tiger, and score above the school's LSAT median.

mst

Silver

Post by mst » Sat Jun 12, 2010 5:45 pm

I'm just going to go out on a limb and say two things:

1)Amazing where this addendum has come from where it started. Went from being an extremely bad personal statement to a concise addendum that will make the officer probably just glance right over it and move on with the application. I'm just impressed with the feedback you got here.

2)I'm sorry that your girlfriend cheated on you with a bunch of dudes. Totally not cool. It's terrible how people act today, but it's clear that you have grown from this and moved onto better things. Very impressive and good for you.

anonymousquestion

New

Post by anonymousquestion » Sat Jun 12, 2010 5:54 pm

mst wrote:I'm just going to go out on a limb and say two things:

1)Amazing where this addendum has come from where it started. Went from being an extremely bad personal statement to a concise addendum that will make the officer probably just glance right over it and move on with the application. I'm just impressed with the feedback you got here.

2)I'm sorry that your girlfriend cheated on you with a bunch of dudes. Totally not cool. It's terrible how people act today, but it's clear that you have grown from this and moved onto better things. Very impressive and good for you.
honestly, this was amplified because she said disparaging things to a girl i was close friends with who she was very jealous of the entire relationship immediately upon our breakup. i don't want to put this in, because yes, the outcome was sexist, and yes, the fact i was a scholarship student and her family donated a building made it unjust... but that's life, and while that could get me a few hundred grand in court, it won't get me into law school. i'm just glad i didn't let it go, and wind up marrying the slut to have my future fortune seized from me.

anonymousquestion

New

Post by anonymousquestion » Sat Jun 12, 2010 5:55 pm

does 2 come out in my addendum?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

pattymac

Bronze

Post by pattymac » Sat Jun 12, 2010 5:56 pm

Am I missing something, how does calling someone a name land you on AP? And what does that really have to do with your grades anyhow? Either your school is ridiculous or something doesn't add up...how can you have numbers for a t10 and get put on AP?

yinz

Bronze

Post by yinz » Sat Jun 12, 2010 5:56 pm

anonymousquestion wrote:

honestly, this was amplified because she said disparaging things to a girl i was close friends with who she was very jealous of the entire relationship immediately upon our breakup. i don't want to put this in, because yes, the outcome was sexist, and yes, the fact i was a scholarship student and her family donated a building made it unjust... but that's life, and while that could get me a few hundred grand in court, it won't get me into law school. i'm just glad i didn't let it go, and wind up marrying the slut to have my future fortune seized from me.
I thought you said you learned something from this experience...

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Sat Jun 12, 2010 5:59 pm

pattymac wrote:Am I missing something, how does calling someone a name land you on AP? And what does that really have to do with your grades anyhow? Either your school is ridiculous or something doesn't add up...how can you have numbers for a t10 and get put on AP?
+1. I made a really nasty comment to someone a few months ago ago when I was drunk, it got reported to our Greek advisor (since the other kid was Greek too), and all I had to do was help organize a little facilitation session about how our words can hurt other people. Nothing on my record, no disciplinary action whatsoever. And what I did was far worse than what you did... your ex sounds like a real psycho skank.

anonymousquestion

New

Post by anonymousquestion » Sat Jun 12, 2010 6:06 pm

romothesavior wrote:
pattymac wrote:Am I missing something, how does calling someone a name land you on AP? And what does that really have to do with your grades anyhow? Either your school is ridiculous or something doesn't add up...how can you have numbers for a t10 and get put on AP?
+1. I made a really nasty comment to someone a few months ago ago when I was drunk, it got reported to our Greek advisor (since the other kid was Greek too), and all I had to do was help organize a little facilitation session about how our words can hurt other people. Nothing on my record, no disciplinary action whatsoever. And what I did was far worse than what you did... your ex sounds like a real psycho skank.
my school had a no tolerance harassment policy. my gpa was 3.7, and what was most egregious was this happened a month before i was going to be graduating and receiving an academic award. idk if the exact wording was "academic probation," but i was put on probation for violating the harassment policy and then suspended.

what can i say? i got burned... that's spilled milk. i just want to minimize future damage. honestly, in the grand scheme of things the law school you go to is more important than losing a year of your life... especially when i was still a kid and had no idea what i wanted to do with my career.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”