Addendum For Suspension

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
romothesavior

Re: Addendum For Suspension

Postby romothesavior » Sun Jun 13, 2010 12:29 pm

I am thankful for this thread for reminding me how worthless girlfriends can be. I got 99 problems but.... well, you know.

Haribo

Postby Haribo » Sun Jun 13, 2010 4:43 pm

To be honest, I kind of disagree with everyone who says to leave ALL the detail out of the addendum. You were suspended for a year and a half! If all you say is "I insulted someone and regret it" I think the adcomms are going to assume the worst. I personally can't even think of an insult bad enough that merits a suspension that long - maybe that you came out, guns blazing, in a very racist or homophobic fashion against a professor in class or something.

If it were me, I would include at least one sentence along the lines of "I referred to a former girlfriend in sexist, derogatory language in a hallway, and as a result was suspended per my school's policies. I deeply regret my actions, and recognize the impact language like this has on my former girlfriend, on all women in general, and on my reputation." With maybe a little something about how the suspension gave you time to mature in a non-academic environment (or whatever.)

fenway

Postby fenway » Sun Jun 13, 2010 6:00 pm

Haribo wrote:To be honest, I kind of disagree with everyone who says to leave ALL the detail out of the addendum. You were suspended for a year and a half! If all you say is "I insulted someone and regret it" I think the adcomms are going to assume the worst. I personally can't even think of an insult bad enough that merits a suspension that long - maybe that you came out, guns blazing, in a very racist or homophobic fashion against a professor in class or something.

If it were me, I would include at least one sentence along the lines of "I referred to a former girlfriend in sexist, derogatory language in a hallway, and as a result was suspended per my school's policies. I deeply regret my actions, and recognize the impact language like this has on my former girlfriend, on all women in general, and on my reputation." With maybe a little something about how the suspension gave you time to mature in a non-academic environment (or whatever.)

nicely put

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”