Should I cancel my score? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
James2010

New

Should I cancel my score?

Post by James2010 » Fri Jun 11, 2010 8:41 pm

Hi,
Graduated from T20 -3.8+ GPA

1 absence on my record

On test day I feel like I had a very bad games section - I misdiagramed a rule on a seven question game (as a result I think I got most or even all questions wrong on that game) and rushed the others (not sure if I mostly got those or mostly didn't). The other sections felt about the same as normal.

I feel like there is a definite possibility this score will be beneath all 4 of my recent practice tests. Then again I am usually hard on myself.

I am assuming I will be retaking it in October.

So here is my question -knowing what I know - with the schools I am looking at - should I cancel this score this weekend or let it ride and take it again in October?

Thanks for any advice you can offer!
Last edited by James2010 on Wed Jul 28, 2010 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

No1ustad

New

Re: Should I cancel my score?

Post by No1ustad » Fri Jun 11, 2010 8:48 pm

I thought I did horrible on my Official LSAT... it ended up being 2 points higher than my highest practice test...

but on the flip side, with enough practice, logic games can easily be mastered...

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Fri Jun 11, 2010 8:49 pm

I would say don't cancel. All the schools you're looking at will take the highest LSAT score as far as I'm aware, so just wait it out and see what happens. You might be surprised. If you're unhappy with it, then you can worry about studying and retaking, or adjusting your expectations to match your score.

yinz

Bronze

Post by yinz » Fri Jun 11, 2010 8:53 pm

James2010 wrote:Hi,
Graduated from Georgetown in 2008 as a transfer, Degree Granting GPA - 3.67, Major GPA 3.85, Cumulative GPA (including prior transfer credits) 3.9.

When I was in College I signed up for the LSAT but in the middle of working, RA, finals/senior thesis ect. didn't go through with it and didn't cancel and received an absence (regret that a lot!).

Since then I've had 2 years of work experience on political campaigns (press), at a political consulting firm and in corporate philanthropy/political affairs.

I live in LA now and would like to stay in California - my top schools are UCLA and Boalt.

I am planning on also applying to USC, Hastings, UVA, Stanford, NYU, Columbia, Georgetown, George Washington (wanted to give myself a range of reach schools/safeties ect.)

Took an LSAT class and felt pretty good about reading comprehension and LR but consistently had a very tough time with logic games. On my last four practice tests I got 165, 165, 168 and 166. On most of those tests I missed 5-10 on games and 0-4 on each of the other sections.

On test day I feel like I had a very bad games section - I misdiagramed a rule on a seven question game (as a result I think I got most or even all questions wrong on that game) and rushed the others (not sure if I mostly got those or mostly didn't). The other sections felt about the same as normal.

I feel like there is a definite possibility this score will be beneath all 4 of my recent practice tests. Then again I am usually hard on myself.

I am assuming I will be retaking it in October.

So here is my question -knowing what I know - with the schools I am looking at - should I cancel this score this weekend or let it ride and take it again in October?

Thanks for any advice you can offer!
Does a cancel count toward your three alloted LSATs within (two?) years? If so, then I'd say cancel to give yourself another opportunity for c/o 2015. If not, I'd say ride it out since most schools only take the top score. Of course, check Boalt and UCLA threads/websites to see how each factors multiple scores into their evaluation.

Advise for October: Make three copies of every game (including the most recent LSAT games) and do them over and over again. You should be going -0, -1.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”