Time Off Before Law School

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
WhatsHerFace

Time Off Before Law School

Postby WhatsHerFace » Fri Jun 11, 2010 2:05 pm

I just graduated this past May and will be working as a legal assistant at a small northern california law firm for the next several years. My college GPA isn't great (3.30) and I anicipate my LSAT score will probably be in the range of 160-165.

I have two questions: 1) Will taking three years off before applying the law school help improve my candidacy? 2) Is three years off too much? It's just that most people, it seems, only take one or two years off at most.

mallard

Re: Time Off Before Law School

Postby mallard » Fri Jun 11, 2010 2:06 pm

It really won't matter enough, either way, that you should be making the decision strategically. If you're not ready to go back to school and you enjoy your job, stay there. If you're ready to go back to school, read up on law school and legal employment, and if you're ready to take on the level of debt you're aiming at, head to school.

stintez

Re: Time Off Before Law School

Postby stintez » Fri Jun 11, 2010 2:07 pm

WhatsHerFace wrote:I just graduated this past May and will be working as a legal assistant at a small northern california law firm for the next several years. My college GPA isn't great (3.30) and I anicipate my LSAT score will probably be in the range of 160-165.

I have two questions: 1) Will taking three years off before applying the law school help improve my candidacy? 2) Is three years off too much? It's just that most people, it seems, only take one or two years off at most.

I graduated in 2008 from UG and I am extremely happy that I did. I will be applying to start law school in the summer or fall of 2011. I am unsure if it helped improve my candidacy other than the work experience. It really helped me to realize what the real world was like which I am appreciative for. Good luck to ya.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”