Chicago RD/ED chances?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
2011applicant

Chicago RD/ED chances?

Postby 2011applicant » Thu Jun 10, 2010 4:26 pm

Hello,

I'm wondering if people might help me decide if I need to ED to Chicago with my numbers. I would like to be in Chicago for law school, but perhaps UChicago is out of reach...

I have a 3.5 GPA with a 172 (third try; did two 167's earlier). I've also been out of school for a while. Have worked at a V10 firm as a paralegal, at a national volunteer organization (not TFA) and have an MA from a T14 school.

What would you say would be my chances with RD? with ED?

Thank you guys. I do appreciate your help.

cord

Re: Chicago RD/ED chances?

Postby cord » Thu Jun 10, 2010 4:45 pm

hey-- i'm not sure about this. but im just curious -- how did u eventually break at 167 barrier? how'd u study differently the third time?

I'm hoping to get somewhere around there, lsat wise, as well.

2011applicant

Postby 2011applicant » Thu Jun 10, 2010 4:52 pm

the story re the lsat scores goes something like this: i had taken so many practice tests and scored well into the 170's often. my average was in the 174 range. when i took the test the first two times, i freaked myself out. i spent the majority of the time worrying about the question i had just answered. the third time around, i didn't study as much and tried to relax. sort of worked. i wish i had done a few points better...then perhaps i would have an easier time getting into uchicago.

anyone on my question re uchicago?

Kretzy

Postby Kretzy » Thu Jun 10, 2010 4:59 pm

If you apply very early, I'd say you have a 25% chance of getting in without using ED. Probably an additional 25% chance of getting waitlisted.

With the ED, I'd say you have an 80% chance of getting in. It seems Chicago took most folks who were above either median (without a glaringly bad other number) that used ED this year.

If it matters, know that you'll be paying sticker if you ED. "Need-based" aid didn't exist at UofC this year, unlike at Columbia, where several ED'ers got substantial need-based grants.

miamiman

Postby miamiman » Thu Jun 10, 2010 5:00 pm

2011applicant wrote:the story re the lsat scores goes something like this: i had taken so many practice tests and scored well into the 170's often. my average was in the 174 range. when i took the test the first two times, i freaked myself out. i spent the majority of the time worrying about the question i had just answered. the third time around, i didn't study as much and tried to relax. sort of worked. i wish i had done a few points better...then perhaps i would have an easier time getting into uchicago.

judging from LSN and LSP, you've got a little less than a 50/50 shot. Apply ED and/or as early as possible and you can raise that likelihood.

TOMaHULK

Postby TOMaHULK » Thu Jun 10, 2010 5:01 pm

2011applicant wrote:the story re the lsat scores goes something like this: i had taken so many practice tests and scored well into the 170's often. my average was in the 174 range. when i took the test the first two times, i freaked myself out. i spent the majority of the time worrying about the question i had just answered. the third time around, i didn't study as much and tried to relax. sort of worked. i wish i had done a few points better...then perhaps i would have an easier time getting into uchicago.

I just plugged your numbers in the predictor and it says "weak consider" which I'm sure you have already done too.

I don't know how much stock people put into that site, but figured I'd at least "attempt" to help with your question. In any event, congrats on an awesome score and good luck to you.

xyzzzzzzzz

Postby xyzzzzzzzz » Thu Jun 10, 2010 5:02 pm

Last edited by xyzzzzzzzz on Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DOOM

Postby DOOM » Thu Jun 10, 2010 5:06 pm

I think you will almost certainly be admitted ED. your chances of getting RD are poor.

If money/scholarship is not a concern, apply ED and enjoy a relatively stress free admissions cycle and a great christmas present.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”