Atypical Applicant - Input

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Causa Mortis

Atypical Applicant - Input

Postby Causa Mortis » Wed Jun 09, 2010 5:26 pm

I've got sort of an eclectic background and wanted some input on potential target programs.

Academics:

Undergraduate work was conducted at two schools: started at a low ranking state school (3.9 GPA at this institution), transfered to a top-tier public institution (3.35 GPA while there). Cumulative is a 3.55. I majored in economics and minored in psychology.

I just completed a terminal MA in economics at a mid ranking state school. GPA is 3.85, two B+'s in quant-intensive courses, one random A-, rest all As. Class rank is 2nd of 21.

Work Experience:

Between undergraduate and graduate work, I worked as a complex loss adjuster for an insurance company. I handled a lot of attorney-represented losses, learned to negotiate well, performed a great deal of what was basically simple legal writing, interpreted contract and state law, and handle pressure very well. Obviously this isn't a terribly prestigious position, but it paid well and is related to law.

I'm probably going to have to go back into adjusting in order to pay my bills over the next 18 months; I've sent out a ton of resumes in other industries and no bites. Its already done the damage its going to do.

Other:

I haven't taken the LSAT, but my GRE was 760q/680v/5.5aw. I always do well on standardized testing, and I'll exhaustively prepare for the LSAT.

I have one book review in press (on a highly controversial book in law and economics) and am coauthoring a research paper with another professor that's in an intersection between economics, psychology, and sociology.

Letters should be quite good.

Goals:

$$$, Power, Prestige. IP is of certainly of interest, market-oriented programs are as well, but I'm flexible.

Biographical Details:

28/white/male

Top 10 too ambitious? Top 25? Not doing it unless I can get into a very high quality program.
Last edited by Causa Mortis on Wed Jun 09, 2010 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kalvano

Re: Atypical Applicant - Input

Postby kalvano » Wed Jun 09, 2010 5:27 pm

You need an LSAT score. It's not worth thinking about until then.

merichard87

Postby merichard87 » Wed Jun 09, 2010 5:33 pm

With a 3.55 you're gonna need a 170+ to have a comfortable chance at the T14 165+ if you are content with T25.

And what interests you about IP? With a degree in econ you don't qualify to be a patent attorney and going from insurance to copyrights and trademarks is an interesting leap.

manbearwig

Postby manbearwig » Wed Jun 09, 2010 5:41 pm

You're not that atypical. You better kill the LSAT.

anthropologieaddict

Postby anthropologieaddict » Sat Jun 12, 2010 7:59 am

manbearwig wrote:You're not that atypical. You better kill the LSAT.

+1

ze2151

Postby ze2151 » Sat Jun 12, 2010 8:08 am

"Money, Power, Prestige."

yeah, you're really breaking the mold there.

Bobushka22

Postby Bobushka22 » Sat Jun 12, 2010 12:07 pm

Causa Mortis wrote:I've got sort of an eclectic background and wanted some input on potential target programs.

Academics:

Undergraduate work was conducted at two schools: started at a low ranking state school (3.9 GPA at this institution), transfered to a top-tier public institution (3.35 GPA while there). Cumulative is a 3.55. I majored in economics and minored in psychology.

I just completed a terminal MA in economics at a mid ranking state school. GPA is 3.85, two B+'s in quant-intensive courses, one random A-, rest all As. Class rank is 2nd of 21.

Work Experience:

Between undergraduate and graduate work, I worked as a complex loss adjuster for an insurance company. I handled a lot of attorney-represented losses, learned to negotiate well, performed a great deal of what was basically simple legal writing, interpreted contract and state law, and handle pressure very well. Obviously this isn't a terribly prestigious position, but it paid well and is related to law.

I'm probably going to have to go back into adjusting in order to pay my bills over the next 18 months; I've sent out a ton of resumes in other industries and no bites. Its already done the damage its going to do.

Other:

I haven't taken the LSAT, but my GRE was 760q/680v/5.5aw. I always do well on standardized testing, and I'll exhaustively prepare for the LSAT.

I have one book review in press (on a highly controversial book in law and economics) and am coauthoring a research paper with another professor that's in an intersection between economics, psychology, and sociology.

Letters should be quite good.

Goals:

$$$, Power, Prestige. IP is of certainly of interest, market-oriented programs are as well, but I'm flexible.

Biographical Details:

28/white/male

Top 10 too ambitious? Top 25? Not doing it unless I can get into a very high quality program.

You are not as special as you think... I learned that the hard way. The committees will not want to hear about your childhood in rural Montana breast feeding billygoats or anything else that would make one "atypical". That said, I don't think you are "atypical" unless you are referring to the fact that you are a slight bit older and more developed professionally. These are assets to you in your application, but the comment about the billygoats holds... keep it as simple as possible (this is also wonderful training for your legal career). I would advise you to look into Northwestern in Chicago, ranked 11th (and I think the year before that ranked 9th), their median age is 24. They have a reputation for accepting older students, have a wonderful IP program (although you could do IP at a state school and have a lot of the same opportunities... it is a field that is demand for those who have a professional background and have spurned idealism altogether), have a business emphasis, had the highest placement percentage into the NLJ250 last year (not the best placement, the highest placement percentage... interpret as you will), and demand that their students have five years of work experience. Out of the T14, Northwestern seems to be the best fit for your personality based on the rough information you have provided. Do people agree/disagree and why?

cinefile 17

Postby cinefile 17 » Sat Jun 12, 2010 12:31 pm

All of your experience and your masters are just soft factors. Get above a 170+ and you'd be in to at least a few of the T14s and Northwestern would be a shew in. Don't underestimate the LSAT. Although being a good standardized test taker certainly means you COULD be good at the LSAT, it doesn't mean you will. For example, I go to a prestigious undergrad where everyone did well on their standardized tests. However, still the median LSAT score in my school is only a 158. There's a reason why only 1-3% of test takers score 170+. I would say take a cold LSAT diagnostic as soon as possible just to see where you stand. That would be the most useful thing you could do at this point.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”