Best t-14 school for parents?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
bedefan

Best t-14 school for parents?

Postby bedefan » Wed Jun 09, 2010 5:04 pm

Looking for thoughts from other parents in law school, or from other 0L's who have done research on the topic, or people with friends who are parents in law school, or recent graduates who were parents...

Criteria for determining a "best law school for parents" that come to mind:

- How flexible is a school's COA determination? This seems like a HUGE difference-maker for parents, since you have higher costs for rent, insurance, food, clothing, etc. etc. etc., and a flexible COA means you can get more covered with low-interest PLUS loans.
- Is there a good on-campus living option for families? Important for insta-friends, especially other grad and professional students with kids who therefore understand where you're coming from, possibly could arrange childcare swaps, etc.
- How is the insurance available through the university? Some schools don't have an insurance option that's really appropriate for children.
- Culture of student body, in terms of age/maturity (hello, Northwestern) and in terms of a slightly less competitive, more professional vibe (b/c parents in school need to treat school like a job, and it helps if your classmates have the same approach).

I'm sure I'm missing some big ones...

My situation is I'm married with two kids. My daughters will be 3 1/2 and 1 1/2 when I start in the fall of 2011. My wife is hoping to stay home with them the first year, and then maybe work toward a master's or ESL teaching certificate after that, or maybe just work. I'm 100% committed to a career in PI law afterward, so as long as I can get most of the thing funded with GradPLUS loans, I'm not worried about how much I actually spend to go to school.

Other25BeforeYou

Re: Best t-14 school for parents?

Postby Other25BeforeYou » Wed Jun 09, 2010 5:15 pm

This could be helpful: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=118766

bedefan

Re: Best t-14 school for parents?

Postby bedefan » Thu Jun 10, 2010 2:51 pm

Thanks, hadn't seen that one somehow.

Maybe I'll do a write up based on the spreadsheet I'm developing and submit it to the contest...

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”