Admissions Uncertainty

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
rundoxierun

Re: Admissions Uncertainty

Postby rundoxierun » Wed Jun 09, 2010 3:57 pm

CoastGuard3 wrote:Well I did forget to mention that the LSAT was quite the battle for me....when I first took the test I believe I got a 135 - I really didn't know what I was doing....and then I studied for a year....and I was practicing at about 163....and I ended with a 159....I have taken every test there is....I cannot study this summer because of my job and also because there is no more material to look at...i have done a course and all and I have looked all the stuff....If I did retake in September, would it be stupid not to study for it other than like 2ish weeks before....I bet I could at least the same score...i have been doin this stuff for a year now!

If you studied for a year and got a 159 then the answer here is to put together a new list. You could get into many of the schools ranked 40-100 with those numbers. If you arent aiming for super prestigious jobs then those schools could work out fine for you (except the ones in NYC maybe). Everyone here is going to insist on going to nothing less than a T14 school. In reality the cost of doing so only works out over a range of relatively limited possibilities(i.e. dont go to a 40k/yr undergrad at sticker to major in early childhood education). If you are willing to accept that you studied hard and scored a score that represents the upper range of your abilities then you should also be willing to accept a list of schools that reflects that.

rundoxierun

Postby rundoxierun » Wed Jun 09, 2010 3:59 pm

bceagles182 wrote:I'd like to think that someone with a 4.0 is capable of breaking 160. If not then your ug school must be terrible.

Check out the 25/75 gpas of tier 2, 3 and 4 schools. Plenty of 4.0s with horrible LSAT scores. These days you can pretty much schedule your way to a 4.0 at most undergrads

xyzzzzzzzz

Postby xyzzzzzzzz » Wed Jun 09, 2010 5:57 pm

I really don't think there is much sense in retaking. OP said he studied for a year. I think he needs to a) have a more realistic list or b) think about doing something besides LS.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Wed Jun 09, 2010 6:08 pm

xyzzzzzzzz wrote:I really don't think there is much sense in retaking. OP said he studied for a year. I think he needs to a) have a more realistic list or b) think about doing something besides LS.

I vote (b), which is a shame because scoring a 164 or so would open a lot of doors with that 4.0. But if he is too lazy to take it again or is simply incapable to get over a 159, then I think he should re-think law school or drastically alter his list of schools.

acadec

Postby acadec » Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:16 pm

ozarkhack wrote:And ...
CoastGuard3 wrote:I cannot study this summer because of my job

Bullshit.

Wake up a couple hourse before your day/shift/whatever. Or set aside a couple hours after. It sucks. And it's hard. But this is serious business, and you've gotta treat it as such. ... Come late July, at the latest, you should start re-taking all those PTs you've used up. You'll have forgotten the answers by then (if you haven't already).

Yeah, if you can't handle 40 hours a week plus a couple hours of studying a day, have fun in law school/being a lawyer.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Wed Jun 09, 2010 10:04 pm

I studied for the LSAT working a 60-70 hour a week job. I managed a 164.

xyzzzzzzzz

Postby xyzzzzzzzz » Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:25 pm

acrossthelake

Postby acrossthelake » Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:37 pm

I suggest you take a good look at the threads that discuss how even students at top schools (Columbia....even Harvard) aren't getting the jobs they used to in this economy and how screwed most law students are. (They even freak me out, and I've got good numbers.) Then reconsider whether you really want to gamble with the schools that your numbers are going to get you into if you don't retake. I wouldn't that that gamble, personally.

jayn3

Postby jayn3 » Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:44 pm

bceagles182 wrote:I'd like to think that someone with a 4.0 is capable of breaking 160. If not then your ug school must be terrible.

or major. or whatever. seriously man, if you were willing to work hard enough to get a 4.0 over four years, can't you push yourself one more summer and get a better lsat??

pocket herc

Postby pocket herc » Fri Jul 09, 2010 12:06 am

You should retake. That being said, with a 4.0 you are probably also competitive for schools like IU-B (maybe), Iowa, Wisconsin, Ariz State, U of Arizona, and many more. Still, retake.

gwuorbust

Postby gwuorbust » Fri Jul 09, 2010 1:53 am

yeah good chance at Iowa, Tulane, etc. that said, don't waste a 4.0. plz take a year off, working in Costa Rica teaching English while studying LSAT and then retake. worst case scenario: you help hundreds of children learn to read, best case you get the same warm fuzzy feeling and you thank NYU for the acceptance letter

jennylynn

Postby jennylynn » Fri Jul 09, 2010 10:43 am

I had similar numbers as you. I just dont' standardize test well.
I applied to several schools, so check out my profile for an idea of what those numbers will get you.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Fri Jul 09, 2010 10:46 am

kalvano wrote:I studied for the LSAT working a 60-70 hour a week job. I managed a 164.

Wow, sucks to suck. :lol:

TommyK

Postby TommyK » Fri Jul 09, 2010 10:48 am

Seton Hall is ridiculous. I looked at the pricetag and it's $60k-$70k/yr. Law school debt is ridiculous, but I can't imagine graduating with $200k of debt from a school that's just "eh", and christ... it's in Newark.

I agree with the above poster that suggests coming up with a new list if you're really not interested in retaking the LSAT.

Look for a school that places well in the market you are targetting and get some big scholly.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Fri Jul 09, 2010 10:59 am

romothesavior wrote:
kalvano wrote:I studied for the LSAT working a 60-70 hour a week job. I managed a 164.

Wow, sucks to suck. :lol:

I revel in my suckiness.

merichard87

Postby merichard87 » Fri Jul 09, 2010 11:12 am

My best advice to OP if he/she refuses to retake is to create a new list aiming at state or city schools that have a stronghold in their city/state/region, i.e. Colorado, Georgia, Alabama, Florida, FSU, SMU, Arizona, etc.

Leave the big markets alone.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”