Purchasing CAS on LSAC.org Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Canarsie

Bronze

Purchasing CAS on LSAC.org

Post by Canarsie » Wed Jun 09, 2010 2:31 pm

There's $125 service called Credential Aquisition Service (something like this) on LSAC. I just want to send my UG transcript into LSAC and cannot for the life of me figure this out. Do I have to purchase CAS? Because that seems very expensive. I also found an address transcripts can be sent to, which seems more likely.

Can someone confirm that I don't have to purchase CAS? I haven't seen it mentioned on the boards at all and don't want to make such an expensive error.

In addition, do I need to send in the form re: transcripts? I am positive there is no other person at my university with my name (likely the world).

Canarsie

Bronze

Re: Purchasing CAS on LSAC.org

Post by Canarsie » Wed Jun 09, 2010 2:40 pm

Did a forum search and it looks like I will probably have to purchase this. Not much in the grand scheme of law school costs... but I'd still like an official "yes" before I do so. Also, if I get the fee waiver (fingers crossed) does that affect CAS?

Thanks!

merichard87

Silver

Post by merichard87 » Wed Jun 09, 2010 2:42 pm

CAS is the service that compiles transcripts, LORs, PS, DS and all other data to send to the law schools with your application. Yes you have to pay and register with it. I think the fee waiver does allow you to register with CAS for free but not sure. Read through the lsac website and it will tell you.

pu_golf88

Bronze

Post by pu_golf88 » Wed Jun 09, 2010 2:44 pm

You have to buy CAS.

I don't see how a fee waiver would affect you paying for CAS.

manbearwig

Bronze

Post by manbearwig » Wed Jun 09, 2010 2:45 pm

From lsac.org
Nearly all ABA-approved law schools and many other schools require the use of LSAC's Credential Assembly Service (CAS) for JD applicants.
There are five basic steps to complete your Credential Assembly Service (CAS) file for reporting.
1. Register for Credential Assembly Service (CAS) and pay all required fees.
The Credential Assembly Service fee covers:
* transcript summarization (as well as authentication and evaluation of academic records, if applicable)
Do I need to sign up for the Credential Assembly Service (CAS)?

Most ABA-approved law schools require the Credential Assembly Service (CAS). If you are a candidate educated outside the US, its territories, or Canada, and you are not applying to any school that requires the authentication and evaluation feature of the Credential Assembly Service (CAS), you are not required to register for it. However, you may choose to register for the Credential Assembly Service (CAS) if you wish to use the electronic application or the Letter of Recommendation Service.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Wed Jun 09, 2010 2:48 pm

Yes, you have to. A lot of schools will only take things submitted by LSAC.

Canarsie

Bronze

Post by Canarsie » Wed Jun 09, 2010 2:49 pm

manbearwig wrote:
Do I need to sign up for the Credential Assembly Service (CAS)?

Most ABA-approved law schools require the Credential Assembly Service (CAS). If you are a candidate educated outside the US, its territories, or Canada, and you are not applying to any school that requires the authentication and evaluation feature of the Credential Assembly Service (CAS), you are not required to register for it. However, you may choose to register for the Credential Assembly Service (CAS) if you wish to use the electronic application or the Letter of Recommendation Service.
Ah, that's the one I missed. I had read the others but I guess I was confused since it says 'most' and it's a lot of money to me. Hopefully the fee waiver will help cut the cost but I am not holding my breath.

Thanks.

r2b2ct

Bronze

Post by r2b2ct » Wed Jun 09, 2010 2:53 pm

An LSAC fee waiver does include a free registration for CAS. It also includes 2 LSATs, the "Official LSAT Superprep" prep book, and four law school reports. (I have a fee waiver)

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”