A'nold wrote:Fine, let's say that only the top 60% of University of Nebraska law students ever get a legal job. The other 40% should drop out after 1st year and just go on about their lives, if they are so risk averse. They could hit up the whole local networking approach even if below median, but many people aren't willing to put themselves out there. Anyway, some people basically have no other choice. I am lucky in that I absolutely love the challenge of law school and have a ton of interest in this profession. Those that are at risk of not passing the bar and those that are just in it for the money (both of these situations make up a large bunch of the 1/3 of law students that end up not getting a post-grad job) should never go to law school. Thus, someone with a 140, 2.2, should not take Cooley up on their "give it a try" offer nor should someone entirely interested in biglaw or bust attend even UVA or NYU, for example.
The other 40% SHOULD drop out, but we all know they don't (if we can take attrition numbers as accurate). For the other 60%, like Mallard said, maybe they find work but if they are graduating with so much debt and not making much it is like a ball and chain following them around for a long, long time. Everything they do - buying a new car, home, starting a family, etc. is going to hindered by the debt. However, like I said earlier if being a lawyer is worth the debt load and employment risk, then that is an individual's personal decision and I can't find fault in that.