What to do with my year of deferment?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Apple Tree

Re: What to do with my year of deferment?

Postby Apple Tree » Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:01 pm

I'm in the same situation as you. Even though I wanted to go teach English in Asia and travel around and have fun, I chose to stay in the US and save up for law school. I'm planning to save about $20k before the school starts (my SO is working too).

If you were single, I would say go ahead with option #2. That way, you can save money (not a lot because of the conversion rate) and have fun at the same time. I wish I could do that, but when you are married, you have to think for the other person too. My husband will have to support both of us while I go to school, so the least I could do is to bring less debt upon us.

MrKappus

Postby MrKappus » Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:07 pm

Option 2.

littlepiggie818

Postby littlepiggie818 » Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:20 pm

I vote for teaching English in Korea, not China. I taught English in Korea and I saved a decent amount of money from that since plane ticket and accommodation are paid for. Tax is low, living is a little cheaper than the US, and the money that you put into your pension while working in Korea, you do get back (plus what your boss has to contribute) and will give you a nice little bonus at the end. With the money you save, you can take a backpacking trip through Asia which is fairly cheap (I did this for 2.5 months).

I really enjoyed my experience in Korea, but it's not for everyone. So make sure you know what you're getting yourself into before you sign a contract. If you want more information, feel free to pm me.

worldtraveler

Postby worldtraveler » Thu Jun 10, 2010 6:27 am

youpiiz wrote:
mallard wrote:STDs?

thats one thing. however, one cannot and should not generalise. im just saying that there is increased 'risk' that should be of concern to all persons contemplating physical (or other types of) intimacy with the subject(s) of this exchange.
on the overall, they just have a bad rep. lets keep it at that.

Piiz's opinion of English teachers in Korea is just low after meeting me. :)

But seriously, she's right. The men who go abroad to teach English are often SHADY.e Like escaping open warrants and child support payments kind of shady. The women are generally pretty cool.
Last edited by worldtraveler on Thu Jun 10, 2010 6:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

youpiiz

Postby youpiiz » Thu Jun 10, 2010 6:30 am

worldtraveler wrote:But seriously, she's right. The men who go abroad to teach English are often SHADY.e Like escaping open warrants and child support payments kind of shady. The women are generally pretty cool.

right!! only applies to men!!!

TCScrutinizer

Postby TCScrutinizer » Thu Jun 10, 2010 7:05 am

Korea. Let me live vicariously through you... I always wanted to teach English abroad, but I had too many other obligations that made taking a full year to do so impossible.

Bruno21

Postby Bruno21 » Thu Jun 10, 2010 11:51 am

Thanks for all the suggestions. I sent in my application, looks like l will go with option 2.

mz253

Postby mz253 » Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:12 pm

go to asia. korea is more fun. but china is beter if you want to make some connections (only applies if you will be in big cities)

HazelEyes

Postby HazelEyes » Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:21 pm

Bruno21 wrote:I got into a T10 school, but was compelled to defer for a year (won't go into detail). I have a bit of leftover debt from undergrad and will be paying a bit less than sticker for T10, the bulk of which will come from loans. I anticipate a ~100k in debt at the completion of law school.

My options for this year are:
1. Study and read up in hopes of preparing myself for 1L while living at home. Work to increase my chances at becoming the best student I can be.

2. Teach English in China/Korea. Travel, have the time of my life.

3. Work/ Internship at Law Firm while living at home (have a decent chance at scoring ~30k/year job as a legal secretary/aide sort of thing at friend's firm)

Pertinent information to my decision is that I make more money playing poker than any job that I can realistically get.
My question, in my opinion, boils down to: is it better to live at home and minimize debt OR prepare for law school OR party and have fun before law school OR acquire work experience. I know I can possibly do a few of these things simultaneously, but lets say I had to pick 1.

Any thoughtfull input would be appreaciated.

Make money and have fun at the same time. Don't do the poker thing- especially if you still owe money. I would go for a blend of work experience, fun and money. No one needs a year to prep for law school. That's what law school is for. Especially if you got into a T-10.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”