older student (60+)/ GPA /personal statement /references

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
HITeacher2

Re: older student (60+)/ GPA /personal statement /references

Postby HITeacher2 » Wed Jun 09, 2010 3:12 am

Retiree,

IF you're authentically interested in matriculating to law school, there are a few steps you should take. First and foremost, I would reach out to the admissions offices of a few law schools that are driving distance (if any in your area) and ask to talk to someone in admissions. List out your ambitions and concerns to them and see what they have to say - typically admissions deans don't like applicants waltzing in to ask for answers that could easily be found online, but in your particular case you're likely to get much better advice from someone in admissions than there.

Having done that, if admissions think its' feasible for you to matriculate, start studying for and take the LSAT - probably the Sept/October LSAT so you can apply early next year. This'll give you the opportunity to retake it in December if you score poorly while still being able to apply in the coming cycle. My guess is the LSAT is going to count more for you than for most applicants because your GPA is so irrelevant at this point, so take that test very seriously.

Shaggier1

Postby Shaggier1 » Wed Jun 09, 2010 10:10 am

You're definitely going to want to talk about what you plan on doing with your law degree in your personal statement.

This is the key, in my opinion. Since you already have several other degrees, I would worry that admissions boards would assume you just wanted to pile on another degree and have no intentions of actually using it (I only suspect that they would view that negatively, I am not 100% sure).

NonTradHealthLaw

Postby NonTradHealthLaw » Wed Jun 09, 2010 10:20 am

Perhaps it is presumptuous of me, but my guess is that OP knows exactly which school he/she wants to attend. I would encourage any non-trad to make an appointment with the Director of Admissions to discuss your own unique circumstances and see what they would recommend. Although the demographic is probably rare, it's unlikely to be their first 60+ applicant. Perhaps they could align you with (or you could arrange yourself) a professor in charge of one of the clinics, enabling short-term volunteer work and therefore an appropriate letter of reference.

Regarding the personal statement, as others have stated, I would guess the adcomm wants to hear both why you want to attend law school and what makes you tick, rather than a regurgitation of your resume - "always wanted to attend law school" is pretty generic.

Undergraduate GPA sounds like it's a required hoop. Since it may require some legwork, you should probably start this process sooner than later, especially if your school(s) have combined, closed, renamed, etc.

NonTradHealthLaw

Postby NonTradHealthLaw » Wed Jun 09, 2010 10:24 am

retiree wrote:(You can find your RealAge online at http://www.realage.com - great website).

Sounds like a personal statement thesis right there!

stintez

Postby stintez » Wed Jun 09, 2010 10:26 am

Don't bash the OP dreams and be flame toward him. Who is to saying he doesn't have the $ to go to LS. Also haters they hate because that is in fact what haters do. Good luck OP!

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Wed Jun 09, 2010 10:32 am

I think it's great that you want to go to law school, and I think that you will surely get a bump and some schools because of your life experience. NonTradHealthLaw and a few others ITT have given you great advice, and I definitely agree that if you have a specific school in mind you should go in to discuss your situation with them.

Good luck with the LSAT! Definitely take advantage of all of the resources available to you, including TLS.

Also...lostjake: new contender for biggest douchebag/meanest person on TLS?

KMaine

Postby KMaine » Wed Jun 09, 2010 10:43 am

Good luck, OP, and thanks for your service. I think that the law, and your future classmates, will genuinely benefit from your experience. LS is different from college and grad school, but you have been through enough changes in your life that you will be able to adjust. I would reiterate, contact the places you want to apply and take any advice that they give. Do decent enough on the LSAT (a very learnable test) to show that you belong, and I think that most schools would be happy to have you.

shutterbug

Postby shutterbug » Wed Jun 09, 2010 10:56 am

lostjake wrote:Do you have any kids? If so why are you pissing away 150k in money that could go to your grand kids education. Or for you to sit on a beach somewhere. This is unwise, and because of your low post history, probably a flame.

To the OP: Don't listen to this worthless piece of shit advice. Go to LS. And kick ass.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:01 am

Shaggier1 wrote:
You're definitely going to want to talk about what you plan on doing with your law degree in your personal statement.

This is the key, in my opinion. Since you already have several other degrees, I would worry that admissions boards would assume you just wanted to pile on another degree and have no intentions of actually using it (I only suspect that they would view that negatively, I am not 100% sure).

They get money whether you use it or not.

SpaceDawg

Postby SpaceDawg » Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:10 am

nrj1084 wrote:I wish I could be as active as the original poster when I am their age. I think its pretty awesome that he is continuing to challenge himself and learn more.

I wish I was that active now.

SaintClarence27

Postby SaintClarence27 » Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:17 am

Holly Golightly wrote:I think it's great that you want to go to law school, and I think that you will surely get a bump and some schools because of your life experience. NonTradHealthLaw and a few others ITT have given you great advice, and I definitely agree that if you have a specific school in mind you should go in to discuss your situation with them.

Good luck with the LSAT! Definitely take advantage of all of the resources available to you, including TLS.

Should he replace you in the poll?

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:20 am

SaintClarence27 wrote:
Holly Golightly wrote:I think it's great that you want to go to law school, and I think that you will surely get a bump and some schools because of your life experience. NonTradHealthLaw and a few others ITT have given you great advice, and I definitely agree that if you have a specific school in mind you should go in to discuss your situation with them.

I'm considering turning into a huge bitch to try to get more votes, actually.

manbearwig

Postby manbearwig » Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:21 am

SpaceDawg wrote:
nrj1084 wrote:I wish I could be as active as the original poster when I am their age. I think its pretty awesome that he is continuing to challenge himself and learn more.

I wish I was that active now.

+1

The OP sounds like one of those people who it'd be awesome to just talk to; she must have amazing stories.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:21 am

A'nold wrote:Actually, OP is so dang diverse and interesting that he will likely get in everywhere he applies. I would guess that schools will hardly look at his GPA or LSAT score. In fact, many state law schools allow their seniors to attend law schools for free.

Another enticing reason to "take a few years off."

SaintClarence27

Postby SaintClarence27 » Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:21 am

Holly Golightly wrote:
SaintClarence27 wrote:

I'm considering turning into a huge bitch to try to get more votes, actually.

See, you liked it more than you admitted!

tru

Postby tru » Wed Jun 09, 2010 4:40 pm

Last edited by tru on Fri May 20, 2016 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GermX

Postby GermX » Wed Jun 09, 2010 5:00 pm

Why go to law school when you're 60. You're going to retire and get social security benefits in 5 years. Just keep doing what you're doing. It's not worth wasting 3 years of your life, never getting hired after that (at least not big law or anything) and then again with the average lifespan being 75...lol.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Wed Jun 09, 2010 5:03 pm

GermX wrote:Why go to law school when you're 60. You're going to retire and get social security benefits in 5 years. Just keep doing what you're doing. It's not worth wasting 3 years of your life, never getting hired after that (at least not big law or anything) and then again with the average lifespan being 75...lol.

Why get out of bed in the morning. You're going to die some day.

invisiblesun

Postby invisiblesun » Wed Jun 09, 2010 5:16 pm

Shaggier1 wrote:

Not to be too cynical, but ITE we could probably use a few extra LS grads who obtained their degree for personal enrichment and have no intention of entering the legal workforce.

(I'm not insinuating in any way that this is OP's intention.)

atlantalaw

Postby atlantalaw » Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:00 pm

kalvano wrote:
Shaggier1 wrote:

They get money whether you use it or not.

might help the school to have notable alumni. prospective students are probably not drawn to schools with grads who fizzle into obscurity. i want to attend the law school with all the scotus's!

PunjabiLower

Postby PunjabiLower » Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:08 pm

TLS is full of elitist douchebags...whats new?

Cosmo Kramer

Postby Cosmo Kramer » Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:15 pm

How did you figure out how to use the internet old man?

Kidding, but I think your primary concern will be explaining your plans after law school (as others have noted). When schools ask you why you want to go to law school, "why not?" isn't going to cut it. Schools see their students as investments, and not just in the form of tuition. They want someone who will succeed, promote the school, hire future students, etc. In your case, your career will likely be pretty short, so this kind of return isn't great. Higher ranked schools that place more importance on the long term return on investment over 3 years of tuition will probably be less likely to accept you for this reason. In a nutshell, make it clear that you will accomplish a lot in a shorter timespan post-law school rather than just add J.D. to your resume and kick it in Florida.

EDIT: Run-on

retiree

Postby retiree » Thu Jun 10, 2010 3:36 am

Well, I am past 60 and I AM retired and have chosen to put off collecting SS. So I guess that makes me deader than dirt by some of the people's definitions on this forum. I already have the job part sewn up. As for the average lifespan, maybe it is 75 for you (if you are male), but not for me (women live longer on average, all things considered). If I look at my female ancestors, they all lived long lives, some well into their 90s. Besides, my mother always used to say that only the good die young, and she also said I would live to be at least 100! It may never have occurred to you that some people may have on their bucket list a goal to do whatever they have to do to live long enough to get even with all the people on their "get even" list. :twisted:

The fact I have never smoked (not even tried it) in my life has me (odds are) living longer than someone who has. I don't worship the sun (see my earlier post on that). I don't speed either. For every 5 miles over the speed limit, you are risking an early death by 5-6 years (go online to RealAge to find that out). Nor do I have any desire to lay rubber. I must admit though, I regret ever selling my champagne colored Datsun 280Z (many years ago). Perhaps I could attribute my good life thus far to French wine--in moderation, of course. (Tip from me: A Louis Jadot Beaujolais Villages is the best burgundy with a good prime rib; and any French Vouvray is good any time anywhere with anyone or alone and for any or no reason!) Or, maybe it's the skim milk I have always drunk (to which I add Ovaltine to get iron). Who knows! Who cares!

But stress is now considered the #1 killer of people, manifesting itself in many forms (#1 is heart disease). The older you get, I have found, the less things (especially the little piss-ants) get to you. When you are young, you are constantly trying to beat the rats at their own race, and you are under a lot of stress. But you learn as you age that you can be happy or you can be right, but you can't always be both at the same time.

But one thing is certain: Three years from now, whether I go to law school, I will be 3 years older (and 36 more mortgage payments down--yippee!).

As for spending the money? I love this quote:
Economists report that a college education adds many thousands of dollars to a man's lifetime income - which he then spends sending his kids to college. Bill Vaughan

So hang in there, GermX, and you, too, just might live to the ripe old age of 60 and then you can vegg out (a job that requires absolutely NO skills). When you reach my age you won't have to worry about setting an alarm clock, or worry about staying out too late. And no, I don't take naps at my age, either--too many other things to do (like watch Dr. Phil or Oprah). :wink:

GermX wrote:Why go to law school when you're 60. You're going to retire and get social security benefits in 5 years. Just keep doing what you're doing. It's not worth wasting 3 years of your life, never getting hired after that (at least not big law or anything) and then again with the average lifespan being 75...lol.

retiree

Postby retiree » Thu Jun 10, 2010 4:26 am

Hey, for starters, I am not a man, I am a woman. And further, I was probably using computers before you were even a twinkle in your parents' eyes. And that was before JFK was assassinated. Yeah, computers did exist in the Dark Ages--those years prior to 1980. I have built my own computer, and have 3 right now. Besides a box of tissue sitting next to my CPU, my pencil holder still contains several screwdrivers. Back in the old days I designed websites the old-fashioned way--line of code by line of code--before there were all those thousands of templates you could click on to get an instant website. I know people a lot older than I am who are on the computer with their great-grandchildren (I can think of better ways to spend my time, though). (I know I sound like I have done more things than a human could possibly do, but I don't let grass grow, that's for sure. Life is too short--or too long--to do something you don't like. So you keep doing many things. Just don't ask me to cook.)

To answer some queries, I already have plans for after law school, so the post l.s. job won't be an an issue, and explaining why I want to go to l.s. will not be a problem, at least I don't think it will. While I could use my money to remodel my kitchen (a room that is in my house strictly for re-sale value only, since cook is a 4-letter word that I don't do), I would rather spend it on l.s.

I really am impressed by (and most grateful for) the advice you have given me, and am going to take it! It never occurred to me that an AdComm might consider I just wanted to add another degree to the wall. (I don't have one diploma on any wall, and 2 are still in the large envelopes they were mailed in back in the 1980s--really! I do, however, have on the wall in my home office my final piano competition that I won.) Fortunately, I have actually used all my degrees. I am pragmatic when it comes to school, and a degree has to be functional for me to pursue it), except for a doctorate in music--that would be for fun.

I really liked the comment on the p.s. thesis topic already identified-- RealAge. I should tell them my Real Age so that don't think my chronological age has me with one foot in the grave.

To the person who commented that I probably have a lot of good stories. Oh yes, I do. But then if I told you, I would have to kill you. (Seriously, I was in "that" kind of work in the military and usually have the plot figured out early on in any movie about the CIA or other intelligence agency.)

Now for another question to this esteemed group of people who like to stay up late to chat. We have a very nice debate going on here as to whether the "advanced" age is a positive or a negative in the law school application race. But could being older actually backfire on someone? Do you think an AdComm might subconsciously expect more from an older applicant (you know, a bigger/better/best p.s. and application) because the person is older? Indeed, having taught college English for several years (and other writing courses, being published, etc.), I am wondering whether they would be expecting a mega-super or something-else p.s.?

So, I shall eagerly await your thoughts on that. I shall leave you with this quote:

Nobody grows old merely by living a number of years. We grow old by deserting our ideals. Years may wrinkle the skin, but to give up enthusiasm wrinkles the soul.
~Samuel Ullman

Bonne nuit!

Cosmo Kramer wrote:How did you figure out how to use the internet old man?

Kidding, but I think your primary concern will be explaining your plans after law school (as others have noted). When schools ask you why you want to go to law school, "why not?" isn't going to cut it. Schools see their students as investments, and not just in the form of tuition. They want someone who will succeed, promote the school, hire future students, etc. In your case, your career will likely be pretty short, so this kind of return isn't great. Higher ranked schools that place more importance on the long term return on investment over 3 years of tuition will probably be less likely to accept you for this reason. In a nutshell, make it clear that you will accomplish a lot in a shorter timespan post-law school rather than just add J.D. to your resume and kick it in Florida.

EDIT: Run-on

SaintClarence27

Postby SaintClarence27 » Thu Jun 10, 2010 5:54 am

retiree wrote:Hey, for starters, I am not a man, I am a woman. And further, I was probably using computers before you were even a twinkle in your parents' eyes. And that was before JFK was assassinated. Yeah, computers did exist in the Dark Ages--those years prior to 1980. I have built my own computer, and have 3 right now. Besides a box of tissue sitting next to my CPU, my pencil holder still contains several screwdrivers. Back in the old days I designed websites the old-fashioned way--line of code by line of code--before there were all those thousands of templates you could click on to get an instant website. I know people a lot older than I am who are on the computer with their great-grandchildren (I can think of better ways to spend my time, though).]

My grandma is. I taught her how to build a website in 97, and since then, she has perpetually had a better computer than me.

She's 91 now.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”