What is a decent lsat score for Black Male for NYU Columbia? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Jkf esq

New

What is a decent lsat score for Black Male for NYU Columbia?

Post by Jkf esq » Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:26 pm

I'm curious to know what a decent lsat score would be for an african american man to get into nyu, columbia, or other top tier law schools? Please be honest folks we can admit that the scale is different

romothesavior

Diamond

Re: What is a decent lsat score for Black Male for NYU Columbia?

Post by romothesavior » Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:28 pm

Jkf esq wrote:I'm curious to know what a decent lsat score would be for an african american man to get into nyu, columbia, or other top tier law schools? Please be honest folks we can admit that the scale is different
Whoops my bad, I thought you said, "Please be honest folks so we can admit the scale is different. I thought this was flame, my apologies.

What is your GPA? That will really influence how high of an LSAT you'd need. With a high GPA, upper 160s would give you a shot.

Jkf esq

New

Post by Jkf esq » Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:34 pm

I took a long time off since undergrad 10 years I had a 3.4 gpa but solid professional experience and a great story coupled with a lot of community service.

GeePee

Silver

Post by GeePee » Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:39 pm

If you came from a strong undergrad or took a "difficult" major, I'd say you start having a chance at NYU with somewhere in the neighborhood of 162-163. Obviously a little higher would probably be better.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:42 pm

GeePee wrote:If you came from a strong undergrad or took a "difficult" major, I'd say you start having a chance at NYU with somewhere in the neighborhood of 162-163. Obviously a little higher would probably be better.
Really? Based on what? Even with a 4.0, I think a 162 would be highly unlikely to get into NYU.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

manbearwig

Bronze

Post by manbearwig » Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:44 pm

I have a friend who's a black female, and she got into Columbia with a 163, 3.8_. She didn't get any money, though.

MrPapagiorgio

Gold

Post by MrPapagiorgio » Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:48 pm

Last edited by MrPapagiorgio on Fri Jun 15, 2012 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gold

Post by 20121109 » Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:50 pm

Good guy I know got into NYU with a 160 3.5...There are so few AA males in higher learning, its kind of sad.

Rock Chalk

Silver

Post by Rock Chalk » Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:51 pm

Last edited by Rock Chalk on Wed May 16, 2012 3:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Rock Chalk

Silver

Post by Rock Chalk » Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:52 pm

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:52 pm

Rock Chalk wrote:
Jkf esq wrote:I took a long time off since undergrad 10 years I had a 3.4 gpa but solid professional experience and a great story coupled with a lot of community service.
If the professional experience is indeed "solid" and the community service is substantial, I'd say a 165 should give you a decent shot with that 3.4. Apply as early as possible though - as the cycle progresses URM cycles become more and more unpredictable.
Credited.

GeePee

Silver

Post by GeePee » Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:53 pm

romothesavior wrote:
GeePee wrote:If you came from a strong undergrad or took a "difficult" major, I'd say you start having a chance at NYU with somewhere in the neighborhood of 162-163. Obviously a little higher would probably be better.
Really? Based on what? Even with a 4.0, I think a 162 would be highly unlikely to get into NYU.
I'm pretty sure there were several acceptances around those numbers in the URM admissions cycle thread... I think it's hundreds of pages long now though and didn't want to look.

rundoxierun

Gold

Post by rundoxierun » Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:53 pm

Jkf esq wrote:I'm curious to know what a decent lsat score would be for an african american man to get into nyu, columbia, or other top tier law schools? Please be honest folks we can admit that the scale is different
Dont even ask these questions.. approach your cycle as if there was no URM treatment..

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Gold

Post by 20121109 » Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:55 pm

tkgrrett wrote:
Dont even ask these questions.. approach your cycle as if there was no URM treatment..
The only way one should approach it <3

GeePee

Silver

Post by GeePee » Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:56 pm

tkgrrett wrote:
I'm pretty sure OP is in "just took the LSAT, freaking out" mode. I totally understand the thread.

MrPapagiorgio

Gold

Post by MrPapagiorgio » Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:56 pm

Last edited by MrPapagiorgio on Fri Jun 15, 2012 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rock Chalk

Silver

Post by Rock Chalk » Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:57 pm

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Moxie

Silver

Post by Moxie » Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:57 pm

GAIAtheCHEERLEADER wrote:Good guy I know got into NYU with a 160 3.5...There are so few AA males in higher learning, its kind of sad.
+1. Very frustrating for those of us trying to break into higher education.

Jkf esq

New

Post by Jkf esq » Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:16 pm

Ok I'm new here what is a URM?

Thirteen

Diamond

Post by Thirteen » Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:17 pm

Jkf esq wrote:Ok I'm new here what is a URM?
Under-Represented Minority

van

New

Post by van » Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:22 pm

Under Represented Minority

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Jkf esq

New

Post by Jkf esq » Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:35 pm

MrPapagiorgio wrote:
tkgrrett wrote:
If only if were that easy. But the fact of the matter is affirmative action rules the day. I remember high school all too well. Watching the non-URM valedictorian go to a state school while the 21st rank URM went to Princeton. Nauseating.

I that was the case the the parents of the non- URM minority should be shackled. listen the truth of the matter is that standardized tests are biased against URM's and unless you are comfortable with law schools being full of "waspy men" then certain concessions need to be made. As we all know law school isnt a cake walk for any color or class and once you get in you have to stay in. And unless you descend from great Britain and can trace your roots back there newsflash you or one of your family members once benefited from being an "URM"

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:38 pm

Jkf esq wrote:
I that was the case the the parents of the non- URM minority should be shackled. listen the truth of the matter is that standardized tests are biased against URM's and unless you are comfortable with law schools being full of "waspy men" then certain concessions need to be made. As we all know law school isnt a cake walk for any color or class and once you get in you have to stay in. And unless you descend from great Britain and can trace your roots back there newsflash you or one of your family members once benefited from being an "URM"
:?:

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:41 pm

Jkf esq wrote: listen the truth of the matter is that standardized tests are biased against URM's and unless you are comfortable with law schools being full of "waspy men" then certain concessions need to be made.
I predict a strong finish to this thread.

manbearwig

Bronze

Post by manbearwig » Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:43 pm

romothesavior wrote:
Jkf esq wrote:
:?:
I think Jkf esq is confusing possibly at one point in American history being able to qualify as URM with receiving actual benefits from that qualification.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”