Anyone have advice/recommendations for moving companies?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Emma.

Anyone have advice/recommendations for moving companies?

Postby Emma. » Mon Jun 07, 2010 1:18 pm

So this fall I'll be moving 1000 miles or so to go to school (from CO to IL) and want to take most of my furniture with me. It'll be a couple queen beds, 2 sofas, dining table etc. Enough to furnish a 2brm apartment.

Anyone have experience with good (inexpensive!) options? I really don't want to go the U-haul route, and if I could afford it it'd be awesome to have someone do all the hauling and packing for me.

Thanks.

ozarkhack

Re: Anyone have advice/recommendations for moving companies?

Postby ozarkhack » Mon Jun 07, 2010 1:26 pm

ABF's U-Pack is like PODS but way cheaper.

I'm moving similarly sized abode about 2,100 miles and paying about $2,400. I'm also not driving a U-Haul (while towing fiance's car ... did it once, about 1,000 miles = NEVER AGAIN). U-Haul would've been only a little less expensive, given fuel, and I now have lots of flexibility in terms of delivery. I'm paying about $250-$300 extra to store the goods for up to a month (we're moving early to spend time looking for a place).

They don't pack for you, I don't think.

toolshed

Postby toolshed » Mon Jun 07, 2010 1:27 pm

There are no inexpensive options. Moving sucks, and is going to be pricey. I did all my packing myself, grabbing boxes from friends and from work. Penske was the cheapest truck + towing a vehicle, about $900 for 4 days. If you want a service to do all of it, you are probably looking at $2000+ minimum.

Mr. Matlock

Postby Mr. Matlock » Mon Jun 07, 2010 1:28 pm

emrose wrote:So this fall I'll be moving 1000 miles or so to go to school (from CO to IL) and want to take most of my furniture with me. It'll be a couple queen beds, 2 sofas, dining table etc. Enough to furnish a 2brm apartment.

Anyone have experience with good (inexpensive!) options? I really don't want to go the U-haul route, and if I could afford it it'd be awesome to have someone do all the hauling and packing for me.

Thanks.

Jesus... you lazy fuck!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Scurredsitless1

Postby Scurredsitless1 » Mon Jun 07, 2010 1:29 pm

emrose wrote:So this fall I'll be moving 1000 miles or so to go to school (from CO to IL) and want to take most of my furniture with me. It'll be a couple queen beds, 2 sofas, dining table etc. Enough to furnish a 2brm apartment.

Thanks.

When I was hired for my first job out of UG, the company I worked for sent Griebel Moving to move me. They were awesome. They came one day packed all my stuff, including constructing a special crate for my plasma TV, and my stuff arrived at my new home a couple days later. They unpacked all my stuff and took away all the boxes and other garbarage. My comapny paid the bill, but I think that full service ran about $5k.

My sister moved a couple years later and used the same company. She was paying for it by herself. So she opted for packing (and unpacking) her own boxes. I think she paid about $2500-$3000. But this was all 4 years ago, so prices might have bumped up a bit.

Both of us were very happy with the service.

Moving can be very stressful, and if you can afford it, hiring a moving company greatly reduces that stress. I think it's totally worth it.

Shaggier1

Postby Shaggier1 » Mon Jun 07, 2010 1:33 pm

Doing it all yourself via Uhaul or Penske (much more customer friendly) will likely be the cheapest option, by far.

Emma.

Postby Emma. » Mon Jun 07, 2010 1:34 pm

Mr. Matlock wrote:

Thanks.

You know you love it Matlock <3

Thanks for the advice so far. I'm not opposed to packing boxes and all that, but I'd love to have someone haul our furniture into and out of the truck. SO and I will each be driving a car when we move, and towing behind a U-haul sounds awful (thanks, ozarkhack).

toolshed

Postby toolshed » Mon Jun 07, 2010 1:37 pm

emrose wrote:
Mr. Matlock wrote:

Thanks.

You know you love it Matlock <3

Thanks for the advice so far. I'm not opposed to packing boxes and all that, but I'd love to have someone haul our furniture into and out of the truck. SO and I will each be driving a car when we move, and towing behind a U-haul sounds awful (thanks, ozarkhack).

Most of the big companies offer all the range of service. So, if you pack everything yourself, you can pay for a couple guys to load the truck, drive it, unload it. Of course, it will be more expensive than driving the truck yourself, but if you absolutely refuse to tow your car, what else can you do? Loaders for the truck run about $50-$100/hr, I have no idea what the fee to drive the truck would be.

Emma.

Postby Emma. » Mon Jun 07, 2010 1:38 pm

Shaggier1 wrote:Doing it all yourself via Uhaul or Penske (much more customer friendly) will likely be the cheapest option, by far.

Shaggier! What's up man? What are your summer plans?

Emma.

Postby Emma. » Fri Aug 13, 2010 5:25 pm

ozarkhack wrote:ABF's U-Pack is like PODS but way cheaper.

I'm moving similarly sized abode about 2,100 miles and paying about $2,400. I'm also not driving a U-Haul (while towing fiance's car ... did it once, about 1,000 miles = NEVER AGAIN). U-Haul would've been only a little less expensive, given fuel, and I now have lots of flexibility in terms of delivery. I'm paying about $250-$300 extra to store the goods for up to a month (we're moving early to spend time looking for a place).

They don't pack for you, I don't think.

Thanks for an awesome recommendation. Used U-Pack and they worked really well and pretty inexpensive. Finally getting finished unpacking!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”