What law schools should I consider?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Cory045

What law schools should I consider?

Postby Cory045 » Mon Jun 07, 2010 12:22 pm

I am going into my junior year at Duquesne University with a 3.87 gpa as an accounting major. I'm not sure when I am going to take the lsat but am definitely going to take classes and/or tutoring. The issue is though I am concerned when it comes to a resume considering I don't have an internship although I will be getting one the summer of 2011. I really like nyu, georgetown, cornell, and columbia. Do you think with a good lsat that the resume won't matter as much? I also plan on joining the student accounting association as well as possibly double majoring in investment management. And how much buffer room do you think I have with my gpa for those schools?

KMaine

Re: What law schools should I consider?

Postby KMaine » Mon Jun 07, 2010 12:28 pm

Your GPA will get you into any of those schools with the right LSAT. I would not worry too much about work experience. If your numbers are good enough, that will see you most of the way through. That said, taking a year off in between UG and law school would not be the worst idea in the world. It will give you time away from academics, allow you to earn a little $, and may provide a MINOR boost to your admissions credentials. Best of luck!

Jacktone

Postby Jacktone » Mon Jun 07, 2010 12:32 pm

Consensus on TLS is that UGPA+LSAT score is practically the only thing that matters in law school admissions and that LSAT is more important than UGPA. Your GPA is good; keep it that high. You could have HYS aspirations if you score 173+ on the LSAT, but that is a huge if. Things like internships and membership in student associations are called softs, and these two in particular are especially standard softs that will probably have no effect on where you are admitted. Go ahead and do them only if they will not effect your GPA and LSAT studying.

Here is a predictor that can begin to give you an idea of your prospects: http://www.lawschoolpredictor.com/wp-co ... ograms.htm

Postby 09042014 » Mon Jun 07, 2010 12:33 pm

Better study for the LSAT, because those schools need a very high lsat. Start studying now for Oct.

holydonkey

Postby holydonkey » Mon Jun 07, 2010 12:34 pm

Cory045 wrote:I really like nyu, georgetown, cornell, and columbia. And how much buffer room do you think I have with my gpa for those schools?
167-168 for Cornell. 168-169 for Georgetown. 171-172 for NYU. 172 for Columbia.

Cory045

Postby Cory045 » Mon Jun 07, 2010 1:02 pm

Junior year is hell for accounting majors because you have to take intermediate accounting one fall and part two spring. Basically those two courses are what is on the cpa exam so its tough. That's why I was asking how much of a buffer I have. I'm almost certain I can keep it above a 3.82. I am definitely going to work my tail off to keep the gpa that high or increase it. I wasn't planning on taking the lsat in october but that is no problem. If I don't get into the schools I want to I probably will go into a masters in accountancy program.

Shaggier1

Postby Shaggier1 » Mon Jun 07, 2010 1:35 pm

The LSAT is the great decider.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”